Points for Ellison's 'Deathbird Stories' please

Old March 15th 05, 10:06 PM
Dave

Default Points for Ellison's 'Deathbird Stories' please

I have a copy of 'Deathbird Stories' , charcoal boards and a gold
'torch in a window' logo over '1817' printed lower right front. Spine
is purple cloth, author, title and publisher are printed in gold.
Dust jacket has a price of $8.95 at the top and the number '0275' in
line with the price, on the bottom. Publisher is Harper and Row and
it is stated as a First Edition, copyright 1975 by Harlan Ellison.
There are no number or letter lines.
Did I do well?

Thanks,

Dave

Old March 16th 05, 04:44 AM
Jon Meyers

"Dave" wrote...
I have a copy of 'Deathbird Stories' , charcoal boards and a gold
'torch in a window' logo over '1817' printed lower right front. Spine
is purple cloth, author, title and publisher are printed in gold.
Dust jacket has a price of $8.95 at the top and the number '0275' in
line with the price, on the bottom. Publisher is Harper and Row and
it is stated as a First Edition, copyright 1975 by Harlan Ellison.
There are no number or letter lines.

Yes, there is--at the bottom of the last page. If your line has a 1, then
you've got a first.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

Old March 16th 05, 07:21 PM
Dave

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:44:26 -0600, "Jon Meyers"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote...
I have a copy of 'Deathbird Stories' , charcoal boards and a gold
'torch in a window' logo over '1817' printed lower right front. Spine
is purple cloth, author, title and publisher are printed in gold.
Dust jacket has a price of $8.95 at the top and the number '0275' in
line with the price, on the bottom. Publisher is Harper and Row and
it is stated as a First Edition, copyright 1975 by Harlan Ellison.
There are no number or letter lines.

Yes, there is--at the bottom of the last page. If your line has a 1, then
you've got a first.

Jon,
My copy has a "1" on the last page. I did not think to look at the
last page. How often are books marked like this and has marking
books become more standardized now, with number/letter lines on the
page with the rest of the publisher and Library of Congress
information?

Thanks,

Dave
Old March 16th 05, 09:29 PM
Jon Meyers

"Dave" wrote...
"Jon Meyers" wrote:
"Dave" wrote...

I have a copy of 'Deathbird Stories'...
There are no number or letter lines.

Yes, there is--at the bottom of the last page. If your line has a 1,

then
you've got a first.

My copy has a "1" on the last page. I did not think to look at the
last page. How often are books marked like this...

Harper & Row used this system from the late 1960s to the mid '70s. Aperture
sometimes puts the copyright page (with number line) at the end of the book.
Appleton-Century(-Crofts) first printings showed a number 1 on the last
page. I think there was a textbook publisher--perhaps Scott-Foresman--that
also used a last-page number line for awhile. And, of course, there are
many publishers--particularly small presses--that place printing information
on a colophon page at the end of the text. And then there are one-offs,
like Knopf's US edition of Pavic's Dictionary of the Khazars, with the
copyright page at the end of the book; and David Byrne's The New Sins,
published in a back-to-back bilingual edition by McSweeney's, with two
copyright pages--one in English, one in Spanish--in the middle of the book.
So, not common, but not uncommon.

...and has marking
books become more standardized now, with number/letter lines on the
page with the rest of the publisher and Library of Congress
information?

Yes, much more standardized--which takes a lot of the fun out of it.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

Want to trade points from BAD set William Hockey 1 November 23rd 03 06:05 AM
FS: "Best Horse Stories" by Dickens/Twain/Kipling/Herriot Book Jim Sinclair General 0 October 12th 03 06:55 AM
Red. Points for sale or trade Dkrute Hockey 0 October 4th 03 03:27 PM
BAP POINTS 19SAKIC Hockey 0 August 14th 03 01:47 AM
283 TOTAL POINTS AVAILABLE Dkrute Hockey 0 July 3rd 03 01:41 PM