Message (espeically for Barry Stuppler)

Old April 30th 04, 12:15 AM
Michael Ng

Default Message (espeically for Barry Stuppler)

Hi Barry,

Some threads regarding coins have prompted me to post this
message. I've looked your eBay items, and found links that were
interesting to read. Particularly, the link entitled "Coin Bidder's
Guide to eBay", although very useful, is a bit disheartening.

First, regarding feedback. You recommend persons buy only from
those who have at least 6 months and 100 or so positive feedbacks.
Everybody has to start somewhere right? Besides, I've been selling on
eBay since 1996, have barely accumulated a feedback of over 50. I
don't sell that much, but what I sell, I do the best job I can. I
don't find the need to sell that often. However, I do agree that
precaution needs to be taken when purchasing from eBay, especially
large-ticket items.

Second, about the "About Me" page. You seem to imply that those
who do not have the page and do not have the appropriate personal
information should not be trusted. In which case, should our good
colleagues Eric Tillery and Ira Stein be not trusted just because they
do not have the "About Me" Page?

Finally, regarding third-party grading services. At which point
do you consider a grading service to be inferior? Are ANACS and ICG
inferior, or are they okay? Is this inferiority based on
grading/authentication abilities, or is this based purely on market
perceptions and values?

Thanks.

-- Mike
Old April 30th 04, 05:05 AM
Chris S

Note that Barry's article includes in the introduction:

"But, you can also get burned. A few sellers hidden behind eBay IDs
misrepresent coins to extract quick bucks from gullible buyers. These sharks
are easy to identify and with a little knowledge you can avoid problem
coins. Simply follow these 12 steps to ensure a positive and rewarding eBay
coin buying experience."

In other words, he's saying that you can minimize certain risks by following
his advice. That doesn't mean that you will always get burned if you accept
those risks; it means that your chances are higher. Eliminating the risks he
discusses are one way established, reputable dealers create value for
consumers. Ultimately, you pay some price for that value, but many consider
the price a good tradeoff. Others, particularly those who find alternative
ways to mitigate the risks, can find values not available to those who
choose simply to avoid the risks.

By the way, I think this article was published essentially verbatim in a
recent Numismatist issue.

--Chris

Old April 30th 04, 09:13 AM
oly2059

(Michael Ng) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Isn't it interesting that there isn't one comment here related to
numismatics??? I'll bet the poster thinks he a numismatician, too...

Bob Olson
Old April 30th 04, 04:08 PM
Michael Ng

(Parts Deleted)

Bob, at which point do you consider a post related to numismatics? The
point is that Barry mentioned precautions of purchasing coins on eBay,
and I presented an opinion that this is not always true. Purchasing
coins does in fact qualify as a numismatic topic, or at least I think
it does. Besides, I collect coins. I hope that qualifies me as a
numismatist, even though it's not my professional occupation.

Thanks.

-- Mike

Old May 1st 04, 01:43 PM
Michael E. Marotta

(Michael Ng) wrote:
Everybody has to start somewhere right? Besides, I've been selling on
eBay since 1996, have barely accumulated a feedback of over 50. ...
... information should not be trusted. In which case, should our good
colleagues Eric Tillery and Ira Stein be not trusted just because ...

Thanks for the post. Barry's advice is _generally_ correct. However,
if we could write in a three-dimensional matrix of shifting and
locking mechanisms, we could realize more depth of meaning. Most
assertions have exceptions and the only way we have to address them
all is to write encyclopedias on the smallest of topics. If Stuppler
had attempted a "Complete Guide" he might not have gotten past the
first paragraph.

The downside is that Stuppler's brief list of suggestions does a
disservice to you, and to others like you.

At the extreme of caution, I never buy anything on eBay. I seldom buy
anything online. I recently ordered two copies of the same out of
print book from two Amazon sellers and one book never arrived. That
was months ago and it was hardly worth the $10 for me to assemble the
paperwork so that I knew which did not arrive. It is easier for me to
take the loss and just not shop again from Amazon. I generally prefer
to do business with people whom I can meet and in numismatics that
means at coin shows (ANA, MSNS,...) and from local coin shops. eBay
is just too uncertain a market for me,though, clearly, perhaps
millions of people are "satisfied" with their experiences.

To take a positive tack, you could add an "About Me" and tell of your
history as a seller. That would solve your immediate problem.

The wider discussion still remains. How to Shop on eBay... How to Buy
Stocks... How to Build Your Own Car... whatever the topic, perhaps the
meta-topic should be "How to Pick an Expert to Believe." I am cynical
and skeptical by nature. It is an easy defense... and self-limiting:
it sometimes prevents success. When I read Barry Stuppler's advice, I
translate it to "As an eBay seller, I do these things, so trust me
first." Personally, the fact that he is an ANA Governor means more to
me than the fact that he measures up to his own standards. But then,
again, -- getting encyclopedic here -- I have doubts about people who
do cannot live up to the criteria they recommend: we call them
hypocrites. But then, again, volume 2 of the encyclopedia begins ...

Thanks, again, for the post. It is helpful to everyone who reads the
newsgroup.

Michael
ANA R-162953
Old May 1st 04, 10:08 PM
Michael Ng

Hi,

First of all, I would like to apologize to Barry and others if my
message has been interpreted differently, but I felt like a point needed to
be made.

I also take Michael Marotta's suggestions too, and I agree with him
also. Although I do buy online, I tend to buy smaller purchases (usually no
more than $150.00) and tend to be quite selective as to who I buy from. I
usually have a good sense of who is good and who isn't, and I've never been
taken on anything substantial (although I did get burned one time for
$10.00). I also do like to go to dealers and shows too, but I just haven't
had the time to.

Thanks.

-- Mike

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message