Small stash of Silver Certificates found

Old June 2nd 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Duh_Oz

Default Small stash of Silver Certificates found

Too bad they were deteriorated.

Full read:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4144669.shtml

Snip:
==========
"I couldn't believe it. I started running to the house with it,"
Deming, 34, said Sunday. "My wife thought I broke my arm because I was
just hooting and hollering."

The bills were so deteriorated that it was hard to count the money.
But the box also contained scraps of newspaper with dollar amounts
written on them, a possible tally of the loot.

Deming briefly considered selling the bills to collectors, but the
money was in poor condition. Instead, he turned it over to the U.S.
Treasury's Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which redeems mutilated
currency for face value, he said.

"I'm hoping it'll be for $1,700 because that's what the paper said,"
Deming said. "It's hard to say, though. It's really difficult to tell
what was in there."

The legend of the buried treasure dates back more than 40 years.

"I heard from my grandfather that a man who lived here during the '30s
and '40s was eccentric and might have stashed money," Deming said.