Italy

Old October 8th 05, 12:46 PM
David HICKS

Default Italy

Guys

Am I right in thinking these Italian stamps are definitive ?

http://www.hicksassociates.fsnet.co.uk/italy%20temp.jpg

Many thanks

David

Old October 8th 05, 01:25 PM
amesh

"David HICKS" skrev i en meddelelse
Guys

Am I right in thinking these Italian stamps are definitive ?

http://www.hicksassociates.fsnet.co.uk/italy%20temp.jpg

Many thanks

At least the two in the top are.
Here is an excellent searchable website of all Italian stamps, with
descriptions of each issue.
http://www.ibolli.it/indexeng.htm

Mette

Old October 8th 05, 04:58 PM
Blair (TC)

The top designs are from a definitive set. Women in Art.
These were first issued (5 values) in 1998, denominated in LIRE.
In 1999 these were re-issued but denominated in both LIRE and EUROS
In 2002 they were issued (10 values) but denominated only in EUROS.
This is an expanding set as new values are needed.

The 20 cent value is Scott 2443 from 2002. cv 35c mint 20c used.

The 45c was issued later (not in my 2004 Scott) .
It was issued on 2004 January 27 and pays for an ordinary letter
(2nd class) to Italy, Europe and Mediterranian countries (Zone 1).

The bottom stamp pays 60c for a domestic Priority letter (similar to
"Prioritaire A" in Europe or First Class) of up to 20 grams in Italy.

The rate increases to:
Zone 1 - 62 cents for Europe and Mediterranean countries, or
Zone 2 - 80 cents for Africa, Asia, and the Americas, or
Zone 3 - 1.00 Euro for Australia and Oceania.

An ordinary letter (2nd class) costs 45c to Italy and Zone 1,
65c to Zone 2 and 70c to Zone 3 .

Thus the 60c stamp would appear NOT to be a commemorative.
It was issued on 2004 January 02.

I hope that this helps.

Blair

Old October 8th 05, 07:01 PM
Gordon Lee

"David HICKS" wrote:

Guys

Am I right in thinking these Italian stamps are definitive ?

http://www.hicksassociates.fsnet.co.uk/italy%20temp.jpg

Many thanks

David

Greetings Mr. Hicks.
..
In my opinion, yes. They are intended for normal everyday postal use,
usually put on sale for an indefinite period, as distinct from a
provisional, commemorative, or charity stamp. [Strange ... philatelists
call an indefinite stamp a definitive.]
..
Respectfully,

Gordon Lee
Great Fritain Royal Memorabilia & Porcelain Throne Emporium
The difference between a billiard room and good manners ... in a billiard
room, you can scratch.

Old October 8th 05, 07:45 PM
Victor Manta

Greetings Mr. Hicks.
.
... [Strange ... philatelists call an indefinite stamp a definitive.]
.
Respectfully,

Gordon Lee

I wonder whether the commemoratives, etc. are considered (by the PO) as a
kind of "noise", made just for a few stamp collectors, and the definitives
are the only real thing, actually used in postal operations, and produced in
big quantities.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/

Old October 8th 05, 10:53 PM
Tony Clayton

In a recent message "Victor Manta" wrote:

Greetings Mr. Hicks.
.
... [Strange ... philatelists call an indefinite stamp a definitive.]
.
Respectfully,

Gordon Lee

I wonder whether the commemoratives, etc. are considered (by the PO) as a
kind of "noise", made just for a few stamp collectors, and the definitives
are the only real thing, actually used in postal operations, and produced in
big quantities.

It was noticeable when I was last in Italy that the stamps illustrated
were readily available, but getting commemoratives was relatively difficult.
Either there was a special counter only open in the morning, or the counter
clerk disappeared for some time in order to find the commemoratives that were
kept in a back room!!!!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :