Outer hinge repair

Old July 31st 05, 09:47 PM
Carney Wilde

Default Outer hinge repair

I have a copy of the Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, 2nd printing,
Alfred Knopf, 1939. The cloth along the rear outer hinge is splitting
about 2 1/2 inches in length. What sort of glue would be appropriate
for this repair and what is the best way to apply it. The separation is
quite narrow.

Thanks in advance

Old July 31st 05, 10:40 PM
Al Smith

I have a copy of the Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, 2nd printing,
Alfred Knopf, 1939. The cloth along the rear outer hinge is splitting
about 2 1/2 inches in length. What sort of glue would be appropriate
for this repair and what is the best way to apply it. The separation is
quite narrow.

Thanks in advance

I've had pretty good success with white carpenter's glue, which
dries transparent. I do all my book binding and repairs with this
glue, which is easy to use, cheap and nontoxic. What I do is apply
the glue to both edges of the tear, draw them together, brush off
the excess of the glue with my finger very carefully so as not to
smear it (it comes up in the form of small beads,and these can be
lifted off on the tip of the finger), and hold the edges in place
with pieces of sticky tape until it is completely dry. This can
make an almost invisible repair. It is not particularly strong
when it is used to join two edges of cloth with no backing to add
extra strength.

For greater strength and durability, I cut a small slip of a
similar cloth to that used on the cover, and slide it under the
repair, so that it is glued to the inside of the cover cloth, and
hidden beneath the repair. This is stronger, and more permanent,
but is more difficult to do without leaving any sign of the repair.