A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Paper Money
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Found in a box from an old yard sale

Old October 29th 05, 01:04 AM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Oct 2005
Default Found in a box from an old yard sale

I'm not expert. I'm not even a collector. I have heard that silver certificates are worth more than their face value (really, a novice, obviously), and when I found one in an envelope of American currency within a box of stuff purchases years ago at a yard sale, it made me wonder if the other stuff might be worth something, and where I should go to find out. I've googled and come up with this site, and I've read a few posts to get some feel for what info to include, but I'm sure I'm missing something. If you all could just give me a hint about which of these I might best pursue selling and the roundest ball park figure possible I should be so grateful:

Five dollar bills:

green seal, series 1950D, "Will Pay to the Bearer on Demand" some wrinkling, no tears. Says Federal Reserve Note at the top. Has a number 7 symmetrically placed in four places on the same side as Lincoln's face. Left of Lincoln is a capital G surrounded by black and white text and sort of a tire looking design saying Federal Reserve, Bank of Chicago, Illinois. Underneath top left 5 is a small D 2; over on the lower right side is a small D8. Dillon is sec of treasury

Red seal, series 1963, five dollar bill says United STates Note at top, nothing about paying to bearer. Some creases, slightly better condition than above. Dillon is sec of treasury

Green seal, series 1963 A, has the number 2 in four spots on the same side as Lincoln, beneath top left 5 is an A2, above bottom right 5 is an !4, says Federal Reserve Note at the top. Large B in a circle to the left of Lincoln, says Federal REserve Bank of New York, New York around the B. More creased and soft feeling than the others. Fowler is sec. of treasury

One dollar Bills:

Silver certificate, One Dollar in Silver Payable to the Bearer on Demand, series 1957A. Towards top left, small F4, toward bottom right F697; Seal is blue, On the back beneath the E in ONE is a small 381. Dillon is sec. of treasury. This one is very crisp, appears to have been folded briefly once and has a slight crease in lower right corner. Oh, the 1 in the four corners is topped by a ONE. It's surrounded by an oval sort of shape in the top two corners (like a dresser mirror). The framing of the number 1 is different in the bottom two corners, more like a rough house shape? Sorry, that can't be clear.

Federal Reserve Note, green seal, series 1963B, Joseph Barr is sec of treasury, number 7 in four places on the George Washington side; H2 beneath upper left 1; H1034 above bottom right 1. Left of Washington is a capital G, surrounding words say Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, Illinois. 1082 on back side in smaller print. Fairly crsip, slight creasing visible from distance.

Another one like above but this one has A2 in top left, A1084 in bottom right and 1095 on back, a little more creased

Another one like above, except A3; A1008, and 1030 on back

Another like above, except C4; C1034; and 1076 on back

Another like above, although much creased; E3; E1017; and 1082 on back

Another like above, except E2; E1028; 1061 on back

F3; F008; 1007 on back

B3; B1006; 996 on back

G 3; G 75; Series 1963; 494 on back

I am sorry if this is a nuisance. If somebody could direct me to where I might find out more I would appreciate it.
Ads
Old October 29th 05, 09:27 AM
Scott Stevenson
external usenet poster

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 01:04:22 +0100, MamaK
wrote:

I'm not expert. I'm not even a collector. I have heard that silver
certificates are worth more than their face value (really, a novice,
obviously), and when I found one in an envelope of American currency
within a box of stuff purchases years ago at a yard sale, it made me
wonder if the other stuff might be worth something, and where I should
go to find out. I've googled and come up with this site, and I've read
a few posts to get some feel for what info to include, but I'm sure I'm
missing something. If you all could just give me a hint about which of
these I might best pursue selling and the roundest ball park figure
possible I should be so grateful:

(Bill description snipped)

Nothing really jumps out at me, value wise--one thing to take a look
at are the serial numbers. Do any of them have a star at the
beginning or end of the number? That would indicate it was a
"replacement" note, and might bump of the values a buck or two.

Also, is there anything "unusual" about the serial number itself?
Sometimes you can find a bill with a number like 12345678, or
12344321, or 00665588, or like one bill I have, 00009000.

take care,
Scott
Old November 1st 05, 07:05 AM
Xray
external usenet poster

MamaK wrote in news:MamaK.1xn5r3
@news.collectingbanter.com:

I am sorry if this is a nuisance. If somebody could direct me to where
I might find out more I would appreciate it.

http://www.coinsite.com/html/uspapermoneyprices(sm).asp