Hound Of The Baskervilles FE points

Old November 17th 03, 01:35 PM
Hardy-Boys.net

Default Hound Of The Baskervilles FE points

Can anyone tell me the FE points on the first American edition of Conan
Doyle's "The Hound Of The Baskervilles"?
Thanks.

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old November 17th 03, 09:18 PM
Hardy-Boys.net

Thanks!

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page
http://users.arczip.com/fwdixon
New & Out Of Print Books, Books-On-Tape, Videos, DVDs, CD-ROMs For Sale
http://users.arczip.com/fwdixon/hbsale.htm
To reply: replace nospam with fwdixon
.................................................. ....................
"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in
message ...
Bob Finnan wrote:

Can anyone tell me the FE points on the first American edition of Conan
Doyle's "The Hound Of The Baskervilles"?

Bob, I mugged all this up for an auction on eBay a couple of years

ago...and
then got outbid, so I haven't actually got the book!

Anyway, this is from my notes at the time (a bit garbled, I'm afraid!):

McClure, Philips & Co., 1902, 50,000 (70,000?) copies printed. First state
lacks "illustrated" on t.p., and "published 1902" on copyright page.
Publisher's name not on spine.

A quick check of copies currently on offer on ABE broadly confirms this.

The
main distinguishing point point between the first and second issues seems

be that the second has the statement "Published March, 1902, R" on the
copyright page, though one seller uses this to distinguish the third

state.
The fourth state has the word "illustrated" on the title page. All the

early
issues had (I think) a red and white title page and the publisher's name

was
not on the spine, but I can't say at what point these changes crept in.

The reference to check for further details is Green and Gibson, A
Bibliography of A. Conan Doyle.

Sorry I didn't keep better notes; I hope you can glean the information you
need!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old November 18th 03, 09:19 PM
Christopher Roden

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:18:33 -0500, "Hardy-Boys.net"
wrote:

Thanks!

Here's the entry on the First American of HOUND from Green & Gibson:

Crown 8vo, 19.2 x 13.0cm [1(6) - 18(2)], 136 leaves, [1 - xii], 1 -
[260]
[i - ii] blank
[iii] half-title
[iv] blank
[v] title with frontispiece tipped in
[vi[ Copyright, 1901, 1902 by A. Conan Doyle [short rule]
Copyright 1901, 1902 by George Newnes ltd.
[vii] letter from author
[viii] blank
[ix] A Table of the Contents
[x] blank
[xi] second half-title
[xii] blank
1 - [249] text
[250] blank
[251 - 8] publisher's advertisements
[259 - 60] blank
Salmon-pink cloth blocked and titled white
Eight illustrations by Sidney Paget tipped in; the frontispiece, and
those facing pp. 54, 82, 120, 126, 192, 206, 222. The illustration
facing p. 54 corresponds to that facing p. 76 in the first English
[British] edition, though is here the correct way round.
Published 15 April 1902: 70,000 copies. $1.25
The number of copies includes the variant states described below.

First American edition - second state
As above. With p. [vi] Copyright , 1901, 1902 by A. Conan Doyle [short
rule] Copyright 1901, 1902 by George Newnes Ltd. Published March,
1902, R
A copy of the second state with the number 1 on p. 27 in the left-hand
corner has been noted.
Salmon-pink cloth as above. Dark blue ribbed cloth titled gilt.

First American edition - third state:
As above. The title-page is an instered leaf pasted to the stub of the
original title. It has 'ILLUSTRATED' between the ornament and the
publisher's imprint. The verso carries the credits and publication
date.

First American edition - foruth state:
As third state. The title-page is integral.

The four states were all prepared before publication. Those with the
cancelled title-pages were printed for the Canadian issue but retained
by the publisher because of the large demand. 50,000 copies were sold
by 26 April 1902, a further 10,000 by the end of June, and just over
15,000 during the second half of the year. There was a second and a
third impression. The first printing of the second impression has the
same imposition as the first, but subsequently used a cheaper format.
The first printing of the second impression is as the fourth state,
with 'Second Impression' below the credits and publication date on the
verso of the title-page.

There is more, but this should suffice if you are trying to identify a
true first.

Christopher