Plate Block Pricing - Scott 700-1000 Range

Old August 7th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Kent[_2_]

Default Plate Block Pricing - Scott 700-1000 Range

I have quite a few mint plate blocks from an estate and am wondering
what they are worth. Some are blocks without the plate number.

Face value is about $70 and most are in the Scott 700-1000 range. The
majority are 3 cent stamps. There are also some partial blocks and
singles.

Back in June I posted a similar question on mint sheets and wonder if
the answer is the same. In that case, it appeared that most mint
stamps post WWII might only be worth face value or less if in
quantity.

Thanks, Kent
Old August 7th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:30:12 -0700 (PDT), Kent
wrote:

I have quite a few mint plate blocks from an estate and am wondering
what they are worth. Some are blocks without the plate number.

Face value is about $70 and most are in the Scott 700-1000 range. The
majority are 3 cent stamps. There are also some partial blocks and
singles.

Back in June I posted a similar question on mint sheets and wonder if
the answer is the same. In that case, it appeared that most mint
stamps post WWII might only be worth face value or less if in
quantity.

I have sold plate blocks on eBay for face value or a little above -
for common stamps. Certain stamps and certain plate numbers will
increase that amount, if knowledgeable about such things.

I don't know where to get this "info", but see it all the time when I
write up auctions for a stamp dealer.

He recently acquired a few boxes of them and was faced with the same
situation. Maybe if I ask him about it, he may tell me some of the
results. I pass an e-mail onto him.

$70 face isn't that much. I sold him about $400 and he gave me 85% of
face value for all of it. He has a need for postage and these were
generally greater than .10 stamps. I use the .03 stamps for make up
rates and fancy, high-falootin' covers for trades and the Freebie
thing I do.

Blocks of 4 are in the same boat, except less than - of course certain
classics will command a premium.
Old August 8th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 16:15:48 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

I don't know where to get this "info", but see it all the time when I
write up auctions for a stamp dealer.

Durland Plate Block Number Catalogue.

http://www.linns.com/howto/refresher...ourse.asp?uID=
http://www.usstamps.org/durland-corrections.html

Duh, Trace. You knew that all along, now didn't you? At least I
should have! Must have been a brain fart or a slip of the rodent.

You are correct, Sir Rien!
Old August 8th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Kent[_2_]

http://www.linns.com/howto/refresher...28/refresherco...
http://www.usstamps.org/durland-corrections.html

Duh, Trace. *You knew that all along, now didn't you? *At least I
should have! *Must have been a brain fart or a slip of the rodent.

You are correct, Sir Rien!

Thanks Tracy and Sir Rien for the help and links.

I just took out a few sheets to examine where a plate block comes
from.

One surprise - the Flag Series such as Netherlands and Luxembourg used
the name of the country and no plate number.

Two questions have come up.

1. I have a full sheet of Scott 965 which is the 3 cent Harlan Stone
stamp.

There is a note with this sheet that says Valuable Plate 23892. Have
you ever heard of any special value for this stamp?

2. I have a sheet for both the normal and inverted Dag Hammarskjold
stamp Scott 1203 & 1204.

Interestingly, both have the same plate number. I wonder why. They
were purchased separately I believe by my father and grandfather.

Thanks, Kent
Old August 8th 08, 09:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:52:57 -0700, Kent wrote:

1. I have a full sheet of Scott 965 which is the 3 cent Harlan Stone
stamp.

23892 and 23893 are worth approximately 3x the more common plate numbers,
according to Durland 2005. Good, but no world cruises....

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old August 8th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Kent[_2_]

On Aug 8, 1:49*am, Joshua McGee wrote:
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:52:57 -0700, Kent wrote:
1. *I have a full sheet of Scott 965 which is the 3 cent Harlan Stone
stamp.

23892 and 23893 are worth approximately 3x the more common plate numbers,
according to Durland 2005. *Good, but no world cruises....

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
President:http://www.penguinstamps.org
Trade?:http://www.mcgees.org/stamp-offers/

Joshua,

Thanks for the information on Scott 965 - Plate 23892.

I assume some plate numbers are just scarcer than others.

The Brookman Online catalog is a very helpful resource and I see they
list a sheet price of $15 for the Harlan Stone sheet. Those catalog
pdf files can be downloaded for later reference.

By the way, I found an explanation on why the Flag Series did not use
Plate Numbers.

It was during the war and they went to American Bank Note for the
printing.

http://www.apnss.org/1940s-Commems.htm

Kent