Pan American Exposition Cancellations

Old June 25th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Kent[_2_]

Default Pan American Exposition Cancellations

Following my earlier post on Expo Cancellations, I checked the Scott
Specialized Catalog for the Pan American Series starting with Scott
#294.

The Scott Catalog shows higher cover values for two cases:

1. Expo Cover or Card, Expo Station Machine Cancel
2. Expo Cover or Card, Expo Station Duplex Hand Stamp Cancel

I have a total of 21 cover fronts with a Pan American Expo cancel but
I don't know if any meet the above criteria.

For certain, none have the machine cancel shown in the Scott
Specialized Catalog. It has the words Pan American Station embedded
in a cancellation with straight lines and an isolated letter D.

I do have some cancels that may be duplex.

Any opinions on these?

I realize that the Expo cancellation information mentioned above is
only applicable to the Pan American Exposition stamps.

http://cjoint.com/data/gztLcje55P.htm

http://cjoint.com/data/gztKtIBlbE.htm

Interestingly, I also have two fronts from February 1900 which I
assume is before the Exposition.

http://cjoint.com/data/gztLTdcPbY.htm

http://cjoint.com/data/gztMxs8a6y.htm

There are also two fronts with Pan American Expo graphics but these
appear to be from local merchants.

http://cjoint.com/data/gztM4VLQrV.htm

http://cjoint.com/data/gztNGssEuC.htm

Two more random samplings.

http://cjoint.com/data/gztJnLzXi7.htm

http://cjoint.com/data/gztJ08QnKD.htm

Do any of these 12 fronts have any special value?

Unfortunately, many of the fronts were not cleanly cut from the
original covers.

Thanks for any help.

Kent

Old June 26th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
REE

#294.

[...]

What you have are advertising postmarks for the exposition. They are
not considered expo postmarks.

To see some samples of the machine and duplex cancels, check out
http://www.hrharmer.com/sales/2973/HTML/2973_01.html and look for the
Pam-Am Station cancels, with references made to "Bomar" - William J.
Bomar - who is/was the authority on exposition postmarks from the late
19th and early 20th Centuries. The pictures are on the small side,
but should be mostly legible.

Rich
stlview at earthlink dot net does't get checked very often...

RYRYRYRYRYRYRYR
Old June 26th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Kent[_2_]

#294.

[...]

Rich,

Thanks very much for the help.

The link you provided was very helpful and I enjoyed seeing the
different cancellations and some very impressive covers.

I have a lot of items from an estate and am just trying to get a feel
for the value. Stamp collecting is much more complicated than I had
imagined. I'm also amazed at the amount of information contained in
the Scott Catalogs. It must be a huge task maintaining and updating
that database every year.

Kent
Old June 26th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:15:09 -0700, Kent wrote:

I have a lot of items from an estate and am just trying to get a feel
for the value. Stamp collecting is much more complicated than I had
imagined. I'm also amazed at the amount of information contained in the
Scott Catalogs. It must be a huge task maintaining and updating that
database every year.

A few years ago, they startled everybody and went color. The first color
issue had something like 80%+ of the listings with color photos, and the
number keeps growing each year.

As great as this is, it caused a terrific number of "wrong picture"
errors to creep into the pages. I personally think it's almost all fixed
now, but some have yet to buy color Scott Catalogues due to the
perception of errors.

I agree with your data assessment. What amazes me the most is the
valuation. Really, how do they tell what is a $0.35 stamp and what is a
$0.40 stamp? Why are the prices for a complete set frequently neat
figures (say, $45), and the twelve stamps (or whatever) in the set
assigned different, ascending values that just happen to add up the nice
total?

With all due respect to Amos -- and I do have deep respect for them -- I
picture a boardroom with someone holding up a stamp and saying, "How
'bout this one? Whaddya think? A buck ten?"

I could be way off, and they could have a census of a thousand dealers'
prices. But I don't think so. :^)

Buying stuff for exactly Scott is rare. Most dealers sell at a fraction
(a substantial fraction) of Scott: say, 80%. "Investment-quality" (don't
get me started) stamps sell for, in most cases, many times Scott. But at
least the Scott Catalogue editors haven't done what Stanley Gibbons (the
major UK catalogue for the world) has: word from dealer friends is that
there was so much pressure from dealers who wanted to sell stuff at "half
Gibbons" that realistic prices are now more accurately obtained by
dividing their catalogue prices by two. Even Stanley Gibbons (which,
unlike Amos, actually sells stamps) sells for a fraction of Gibbons!

http://tinyurl.com/6rr8l3

(This will be contested. Waiting for refutations....)

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old June 26th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Kent[_2_]

#294.

[...]

The fourth image in the link that you sent shows the cancellation that
I have on many of the 21 covers.

It is apparently a Barry Slogan Machine Cancel.

Based on the price shown, even that cancellation can be valuable
depending on the stamp, postmark, and cover.

Kent