Numismatic heaven

Old March 18th 04, 11:02 PM
The Fausts

Default Numismatic heaven

That's where I am now! This new addition is easily the nicest coin I've ever
owned. A classical Owl with a couple of test cuts, but EF with a strong
strike and well centered, a tremendous improvement over the one I used to
have. I love these-- the relief is so high, it already tore a flip at the
seam.

http://tinyurl.com/3xgz5

Thanks to Dave Welsh of Classical Coins!

Eric
'will need more flips'

Old March 19th 04, 11:37 AM
Michael E. Marotta

"The Fausts" wrote:
have. I love these-- the relief is so high, it already tore a flip at the
seam.
http://tinyurl.com/3xgz5
Thanks to Dave Welsh of Classical Coins!
Eric

One heck of a nice Owl! I would call the sideways T on the Girl's
neck a "banker's mark." The other test cut does not detract. I
looked at the picture pretty hard and can find no fault.

63pybev s[an9-2
2mmf
These coins were struck by the Imperial Greek government to construct
an international university to educate the world in fine arts,
mathematical sciences, and military tactics. Socrates, Isocrates,
Hippocrates and Hipparchus all taught Alexander the Great there jksdf
aks ath4 fgh
ijsdd9npoubvwHVs]
sdv
p=

Michael
"Shannon warned us about noise."
Old March 19th 04, 03:01 PM
The Fausts

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message
om...
"The Fausts" wrote:
have. I love these-- the relief is so high, it already tore a flip at

the
seam.
http://tinyurl.com/3xgz5
Thanks to Dave Welsh of Classical Coins!
Eric

One heck of a nice Owl! I would call the sideways T on the Girl's
neck a "banker's mark." The other test cut does not detract. I
looked at the picture pretty hard and can find no fault.

You're right, banker's mark is the right term. It's a nice tau, as opposed
to the typical test cut, which involves an indiscriminant armed assault.
I'm really blown away by this coin. Too bad I won't be buying any more nice
ones any time soon.

Eric

Old March 19th 04, 07:03 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:02:58 GMT, "The Fausts"
wrote:

That's where I am now! This new addition is easily the nicest coin I've ever
owned. A classical Owl with a couple of test cuts, but EF with a strong
strike and well centered, a tremendous improvement over the one I used to
have. I love these-- the relief is so high, it already tore a flip at the
seam.

http://tinyurl.com/3xgz5

And a full crest to boot...

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old March 19th 04, 08:31 PM
Reid Goldsborough

wrote:

Thanks to Dave Welsh of Classical Coins!

Dave Walsh is a good guy. I've recently added him to my own top tier
ancient coin dealer list, a guy who doesn't mark up his coins 400
percent, on the one hand, and on the other hand isn't a know-little
volume seller whose prices as so low because he doesn't catch fakes or
tooled coins. He's knowledgeable guy with a good site who sells nice
coins reasonably priced:

http://www.classicalcoins.com

Old March 25th 04, 06:14 AM
Reid Goldsborough

wrote:

That's where I am now! This new addition is easily the nicest coin I've ever
owned. A classical Owl with a couple of test cuts, but EF with a strong
strike and well centered, a tremendous improvement over the one I used to
have. I love these-- the relief is so high, it already tore a flip at the
seam.

http://tinyurl.com/3xgz5

It's fun to see others enjoy coins like this new Owl of yours. This is
what's best about this newsgroup, this kind of sharing. I'll be doing
more of this and less of the other.

I've been spending a lot of time with Owls lately myself, reading and
today taking some more photos. I'll put up a site about them at some
point and probably write an article too. In case this is of interest,
the two best articles I've come across on Owls, which might deepen
your appreciation of your new coin, are Richard Miller's "Athenian
Coinage: Progress and Problems," Celator, May 1997, pp. 14-25 and
Colin Kraay's "Coins of Ancient Athens," Minerva Numismatic Handbooks
Number Two, 1968.

The ANA library should have them, and its photocopying charges are
reasonable. I know the ANS library does -- that's where I got them --
but they're closed until their move to downtown Manhattan is finished,
which last time I heard was supposed to be this summer.

Old March 25th 04, 08:55 PM
The Fausts

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
It's fun to see others enjoy coins like this new Owl of yours. This is
what's best about this newsgroup, this kind of sharing. I'll be doing
more of this and less of the other.

Show and tell threads are my personal favorite. Even when they're not mine.

I've been spending a lot of time with Owls lately myself, reading and
today taking some more photos. I'll put up a site about them at some
point and probably write an article too. In case this is of interest,
the two best articles I've come across on Owls, which might deepen
your appreciation of your new coin, are Richard Miller's "Athenian
Coinage: Progress and Problems," Celator, May 1997, pp. 14-25 and
Colin Kraay's "Coins of Ancient Athens," Minerva Numismatic Handbooks
Number Two, 1968.

The ANA library should have them, and its photocopying charges are
reasonable. I know the ANS library does -- that's where I got them --
but they're closed until their move to downtown Manhattan is finished,
which last time I heard was supposed to be this summer.

Thanks for the tips, I'll hunt those down! It's hard to imagine appreciating
my Owl more than I already do, but it's worth a try.

I visit Manhattan from time to time and look forward to visiting the new ANS
building.

Eric

Old March 25th 04, 10:43 PM
UsterDay72

My idea of numismatic heaven has long been a scenerio that plays out
something like this, "You know your great granddad used to travel all over the
country in his work and wherever he'd go, he'd pick up at least one nice
uncirculated Morgan Silver dollar from a local bank. There's over a thousand
of them carefully stored in these coin tubes and since you seem to like coins
so well, we'd like you to have them. If you sell any of them, let me have half
the money and you keep the rest. Any coins you want, and that includes all of
them, you owe me nothin', just enjoy them!"
As he wipes the drool from his mouth, and that's my numismatic fantasy,,,ah,
dream! Taking lots of time going through a lot of high grade coins.
Best regards, Pete

Old March 25th 04, 11:44 PM
Coin Saver

From: usterday72
My idea of numismatic heaven ... numismatic fantasy,,,ah, dream!

I once had a dream that I went to the "afterlife" and was given the chore to
help a white-haired old man arrange a huge pile of coins (peace dollar size)
from a gigantic bin onto some wooden racks (which greatly resembled the SAH
coin display racks), one-by-one, according to each's type, date of manufacture,
mintmark, denomination, and style.

Each coin had a different person's image, one each for every person who ever
lived; the "manufacture date" was their day of birth, and place of birth was
the mintmark. On the reverse was a thumbnail boi, similar to those gas station
President tokens. I did not know how the denominations were calculated.

As a person happened to expire from the mortal realm, they'd pass by the
doorway to the room, heading for a waiting area; they couldn't go to Heaven nor
Hell (nor Purgatory, Limbo, etc etc) until I found their "coin" and placed it
into it's proper slot.

There were people still in the "waiting room" from as far back as the 16th
Century. The old man was working on some from around World War One and a few
1700's when I arrived. I asked why he didn't sort them in sequence, and he said
that they weren't thrown into the bin in any given order. He told me to grab
some and get "to it".

I heard complaints and grumblings coming from the "waiting room", but I
couldn't see where it was. As I grabbed a few from the bin, an overhead chute
opened near the back of the huge bin, and a number of coins dropped in.

I didn't see my coin, though. I think the old coot hid it or something, so I'd
stay and help him ...

NOW:
opinions:
was I in Heaven or Hell?

8-?

Coin Saver
Old March 26th 04, 12:24 AM
The Fausts

"Coin Saver" wrote in message
From: usterday72
[...]

Well, if people were waiting in line for four or five centuries, I'd have to
guess you were at a Secretary of State office.

That's quite a dream, how come mine are never that interesting?

Eric