Irish Essays

Old March 16th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default Irish Essays

Since tomorrow is St. Patriclk's Day, I thought that I would
highlight
an interesting Irish item.

On February 1, 1922, the postmaster general of the Irish Free State
issued an invitation for the submission of designs for a permanent
definitive stamp issue. By March several designs had been submitted
and four of these were chosen but many of the other essays and die
proofs have become collectables.

One company to submit essays was Hely Ltd. They submitted a
lithographed series of a 2d value show an angel silhouetted against
the rising sun. These were printed in sheets of 25 with a line
perforation of 12 on gummed paper.

Ten different single colour essays were printed. Seventeen
different two colour combinations were printed where the centre
has one colour and a different one for the frame. The 2002
Hibernian catalogue identifies an additional five colour combinations.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aly_essays.jpg

Old March 16th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Irish Essays (...in everything)

"Rod" wrote in message

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Since tomorrow is St. Patriclk's Day, I thought that I would
highlight
an interesting Irish item.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aly_essays.jpg

My conribution a signed cachet,
(and I think there is a leprechaun in the strike
http://cjoint.com/data/dqphWGVCm6.htm

Keep out of the pubs

Nice material, boys!

BTW, the cover seems to be signed by the painter himself, isn't it?

And OK, OK, I'll drink my liter of soda all alone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_whiskey

It's actually very easy, because apparently there is no “right” or “wrong”
way to drink such things
http://www.scotchwhisky.net/drinking/index.htm

Here one can find a whisky stamp... :
http://www.rampantscotland.com/graph...tax_stamp2.jpg

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old March 16th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Aye, they be happy already
they had a rare draw in the world series cricket cup yesterday,
with a first ever Irish centurian.

My conribution a signed cachet,
(and I think there is a leprechaun in the strike
http://cjoint.com/data/dqphWGVCm6.htm

Keep out of the pubs

oups.com...

Old March 17th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

BTW, the cover seems to be signed by the painter himself, isn't it?

It is indeed, Victor. I hope he becomes famous very soon

And OK, OK, I'll drink my liter of soda all alone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_whiskey

Not sure if this is a curse or a blessing, but just a sniff of whiskey
for me, brings on a immediate sense of distaste.
Some more alcohol revenues:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/Langenberg/revenues2.html

Old March 17th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 16, 11:09 am, "Victor Manta" wrote:
Here one can find a whisky stamp... :http://www.rampantscotland.com/graph...tax_stamp2.jpg

--
Victor Manta

And here are some more whiskey stamps.

UK
http://www.ukdutystamps.info/img/Typ...ndingstamp.gif

Russia
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/Langenbe...es/alcohol.jpg

Austria-Hungary
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/Langenberg/revenues-mp.jpg

Scottish cinderellas
http://www.whiskyfun.com/Islay%20200...gnettes/27.jpg

and an ANTI-Whiskey stamp
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rohibition.jpg

Blair

Old March 17th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default The Crazy Years. Was: Irish Essays (...in everything)

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...

and an ANTI-Whiskey stamp
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rohibition.jpg

This is the most interesting and thought provoking one. Thanks, Blair!

Because the prohibition is a sad chapter of the US history (restraint on
liberty, at the origin of the organized crime, etc.), I asked myself why
should the USPS issue such a stamp.

Here I found the answer:
http://www.usps.com/images/stamps/98/1920s.jpg

The stamp is part of the Celebrate the Century program, The Roaring Twenties
sheet (les Années folles = the Crazy Years, in French). The literal
translation says enough about this stamp (comment not related to Lindbergh
and others who may also appear on the sheet).