Palmares?

Old November 4th 03, 08:25 PM
Bob Ingraham

Default Palmares?

OK group, here's a challenge! I learned a new word this weekend, relative to
my club's VANPEX exhibition. Following the judging, the exhibition committee
published a "palmares," a list of the awards and who won them. I had never
heard the word "palmares".

I cannot find "palmares" in any of my own dictionaries or in on-line
dictionaries. It seems to be common in the Spanish-speaking world (websites
containing it also contain information about resorts, golf courses, hotels,
etc.) but Babelfish told me that it meant "palmeres" in English. I tried
French also, but without success. I got over 450 hits when I typed
"palmares" and "philatelic" into Google, and all of the websites seem to be
related to stamp exhibits.

Bob

Old November 4th 03, 08:38 PM
bc92

In message ,
Bob Ingraham wrote:
OK group, here's a challenge! I learned a new word this weekend,
relative to my club's VANPEX exhibition. Following the judging, the
exhibition committee published a "palmares," a list of the awards and
who won them. I had never heard the word "palmares".

I cannot find "palmares" in any of my own dictionaries or in on-line
dictionaries. It seems to be common in the Spanish-speaking world
(websites containing it also contain information about resorts, golf
courses, hotels, etc.) but Babelfish told me that it meant "palmeres"
in English. I tried French also, but without success. I got over 450
hits when I typed "palmares" and "philatelic" into Google, and all of
the websites seem to be related to stamp exhibits.

Bob

Hi
Latin (and same word in french, with an accent: palmarès)
A palmares is basically a list of people who are awarded palms (latin
palma,-ae), as in ancient Rome.
Example: The Cannes Festival palmares.
hth

--
Regards
Bruno

Old November 4th 03, 08:40 PM
Dave Kent

The Palmres is, of course, the list of award winners in the exhibit
competition. I understand the term is derived from the ancient custom of
weaving wreaths of palm leaves for the winners in athletic competitions to
wear. My dictionary gives two related definitions of Palm, "a leaf of such a
tree carried or worn as a symbol of victory", and "victory; triumph." It also
offers the word "palmary," defining it as "bearing or worthy to bear the palm;
preeminant; victorious."
Old November 5th 03, 01:34 AM
Rodney

A new word for me too.
I assume it would include all stamps under the description "Laureates"?

(Remove gum to reply)

Old November 5th 03, 09:12 AM
Michael Meadowcroft

Bob

OK group, here's a challenge! I learned a new word this weekend,
relative to my club's VANPEX exhibition. Following the judging, the
exhibition committee published a "palmares," a list of the awards and
who won them. I had never heard the word "palmares".

I cannot find "palmares" in any of my own dictionaries or in on-line
dictionaries. It seems to be common in the Spanish-speaking world
(websites containing it also contain information about resorts, golf
courses, hotels, etc.) but Babelfish told me that it meant "palmeres"
in English. I tried French also, but without success. I got over 450
hits when I typed "palmares" and "philatelic" into Google, and all of
the websites seem to be related to stamp exhibits.

The Oxford-Hachette French/English dictionary, which I use via CD-
ROM, lists "palmarès" in French as meaning:

"honours list"
"list of award winners"
"record of achievements"

Michael