Coin returns and a question about toning

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 5th 03, 06:37 PM
Bill Krummel

Default Coin returns and a question about toning

Today, I am having the fourth coin returned to me from an eBay auction sale.
This Maine commemorative half;

I honestly don't begrudge the buyer at all. I failed to mention in my
verbal description the surface marks on each side of the wreath on the
reverse. I thought I had mentioned them, and checked the auction site to
find that I hadn't. I think I mentioned them here, in a reply to Bob Rudd's
comments about the coin.

I am going to bite the bullet on this one, but may need some help to be fair
to myself.

First, when I relist, I am mentioning the surface marks and that I would not
grade the coin as a 64, as ICG did. Secondly, I may talk a little about the
toning on this coin. It is very hard to describe or image, very subtle
toning, and I have had thoughts that the toning is actually retoning from a
dip or some type of cleaning. I may mention this possibility in my auction
description.

So, two questions. Looking at the coin, does anyone have thoughts about
this toning - it is very light, pastel shades of pinkish/peach, yellow, and
blue. You do not even see the colors if looking at the coin from straight
on, you have to tilt the coin to see the colors. What is the likelihood
this is a retoning?

Should I mention my retoning theory in my auction description?

Other three coins returned;

Years ago, I used to sell at Coin Universe. I had a Walking Liberty half in
a PCGS MS65 slab. I thought it looked pretty nice. At that time, I did not
sell with low starts, but used reserves and this particular coin did not
sell during the auction. I had an offer after the auction was over with,
and the buyer received the coin and emailed me that he did not like the
milky spots on the coin, could he return it. I okayed the return, reviewed
the coin upon receipt and agreed with the buyer. Learned something.

Sold an unc Washington quarter that had die polish lines, which I had
mentioned in the auction description. Buyer emails me that the coin is not
uncirculated, has wear and scratches. I email back and explain that he is
seeing die polish lines, as I described in the auction. Buyer emails back,
insisting the coin is circulated and his local dealer backs him up. I email
back and tell him to return the coin for a refund. Buyer emails back and
says he was thinking more along the lines of renegotiating the price. I
email back and tell him to return the coin for a refund, which he did. I
sold the coin on eBay to an rcc'er, whose advice I sought. He verified
what I knew - late die state and die polish lines, but uncirculated and very
lustrous.

Earlier this year sold a high circulated grade, harder date IHC. Buyer
wanted to return it, no reason given. I okayed the return, relisted and
sold for 20% more than the original auction, with high feedback praise from
the newest buyer.

Bill