New site about "Arts on Stamps"

Old September 7th 04, 11:24 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Rodney" skrev i en meddelelse
If I can butt my ugly head in here,
and completely apart from the discussion,

You not only may, you are expected to ;-)

one of the "What I'd like to see" topics would be a
page on "drawings" in art.
Do we have such a thing?

Yes Sir.

I esp like images showing the draughtsmanship
of the early painters, Da Vinci etc.
Perhaps line and wash drawings like Tiepolo

Not impossible. Give me a few days :-)

Does "The rest on the flight into Egypt" (my fav)
appear on a stamp?

"The Flight into Egypt" yes, but ... ??? Any particular artist in mind?

(The feeling in the faces of the subjects pips the madonna smile imho)
I suppose the subject matter would be scarce on postage stamps.

Maybe, maybe not. I remember the Pilate-stamps, that virtually everybody
here gave thumb down. After all we did find some :-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 7th 04, 11:40 PM
Rodney

Fast on the draw Mette! (pun intended)

Yes,
"The Rest on the flight into Egypt" by Gian Battista Tiepolo
Hmmm I guess not then

Old September 8th 04, 12:04 AM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Rodney" skrev i en meddelelse
Fast on the draw Mette! (pun intended)

He he :-)

Yes,
"The Rest on the flight into Egypt" by Gian Battista Tiepolo
Hmmm I guess not then

I just checked my specialized art catalogue, but didn't find it listed.
That doesn't mean that it hasn't been issued on a stamp, only that it's not
listed in *my* cat that stops by the millennium (like my collections). In
the affirmative it should be listed later than 2000/2001.

Regards
Mette

Old September 8th 04, 11:24 AM
TC Blair

"Rodney" wrote in message ...
If I can butt my ugly head in here,
and completely apart from the discussion,
one of the "What I'd like to see" topics would be a
page on "drawings" in art.
Do we have such a thing?
I esp like images showing the draughtsmanship
of the early painters, Da Vinci etc.
Perhaps line and wash drawings like Tiepolo
Does "The rest on the flight into Egypt" (my fav)
appear on a stamp?
(The feeling in the faces of the subjects pips the madonna smile imho)
I suppose the subject matter would be scarce on postage stamps.

Rodney:

I only know of 3 stamp sets showing Tiepolo works and none
are of this work.

(1) USA 1982 (CHRISTMAS) 20c Madonna - Scott 2026

(2) San Marino (10 Sept 1970) 3 stamps Scott 733-5
Lady and Mandolin, Lady and parrot, etc...

(3) Italy 1996 Scott 2067 1000 Lire Sarah and the Angel

Blair (TC)
Old September 8th 04, 12:00 PM
Rodney

Thanks Blair,
I wasn't aware of the US issue, and I should have that one.

I could not find the work in question even on the web!
so here it is from my well thumbed and old "pocket book" of art
(I would have loved to see this fellow in action)

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=464

Best Regards.

Old September 8th 04, 01:44 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Rodney" skrev i en meddelelse
Thanks Blair,
I wasn't aware of the US issue, and I should have that one.

I could not find the work in question even on the web!
so here it is from my well thumbed and old "pocket book" of art
(I would have loved to see this fellow in action)

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=464

Nice drawing, Rodney :-) It has for sure not been issued on stamps :-(
Here is a listing of Tiepolo-stamps

Ajman, 1 stamp 1969, Michel 421 AB, Block C112
Ajman, 3 stamps 1972, Michel 1391 AB, 2159 AB, 2532 AB
Ajman/Manama, 1 stamp 1969, Michel 185 AB
Ajman/Manama, 1 stamp 1971, Michel 602 AB
Aitutaki, 1 stamp 1990, Michel 672
Anguilla, 2 stamps 1970, Michel 91, 118
Antigua November 1995 (no number)
Equatorial Guinea 1996 (no number)
Barbuda, 2 stamps 1992, Michel 1377, 1379
Burundi 1979, 2 stamps, Michel Block 107, Block 108
Cook Islands 1984, 2 atamps, Michel Block 146, Block 151
Berlin West, 1961/62, Michel 205
GFR 1961, Michel 353
GFR 1996, Michel 1847
Ghana 1973, Michel 535
Ghana 1993, Michel 1917
Ghana 1996, Michel 2328
Grenada, December 1970, Michel 383, 387
Grenada 1995, Michel 3108
Grenada/Grenadines 1975, Michel 68
Hungary 1984, Michel 3660 included in Block 170 AB
Italy 1973, Michel 1422
Italy 1975, Michel 1490
Italy 1996, Michel 2421
Kroatia 1994, Michel 305
Link to the Kroatian stamp:
http://www.math.hr/stamps/1994/loreto.html
Panama 1967, Michel 966
Paraguay 1967, Michel Block 103
Paraguay 1968, Michel 1864 + Block 114
Paraguay 1973, Michel 2484
Paraguay 1976, Michel 2826
Ras Al Khaima, 3 stamps 1970, Michel 369 AB, 371 AB, 373 AB
San Marino 1970, 3 stamps, Michel 959-961
San Marino 1990, Michel 1434
St. Lucia 1977, 2 stamps, Michel 425-426
St. Vincent 1996, Michel 3503 (Block 371
St. Vincent, November 1997, 2 stamps (No number)
Sierra Leone 1996, Michel 2536
Spain 1952, Michel 1009
Togo 1970, Michel 838 AB + Block 52
USA 1982, Michel 1606
Yemen Kingdom, April 1968, Michel 513 AB
Yemen Kingdom, April 1968, Michel 516 (Block 82)
Yemen Kingdom 1969, Michel 690 AB
Yemen Kingdom, 1969, Michel 706 AB
Yemen Kingdom, 1970, Michel 1111 AB
Yemen Kingdom, 1970, Michel 1127 AB

A few images (not stamps) are available he
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists..._battista.html

To this comes another listing of Giovanni Domenico Tiepolo (Tiepolo's son),
Paintings issued by Antigua, Barbuda, Ghana, Hungary, St. Vincent, Spain,
Tanzania, Yemen Kingdom.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 8th 04, 04:32 PM
Rodney

Goodness Gracious
rather overwhelming.
When I did a spot search, I could hardly
believe the number of times "The flight into Egypt"
has been covered.
A lifetimes work there Mette

I didn't have the US issue, but the Cat showed a rather
typical format Madonna. I presume this to be perhaps his son.
I prefer Dad's bold and rapid brush strokes.

Old September 8th 04, 05:20 PM
Rodney

| one of the "What I'd like to see" topics would be a
| page on "drawings" in art.
| Do we have such a thing?
|
| Yes Sir.

I hope I don't steal your thunder
I was searching for an article for Rene,
when I tripped over this.
It appears pen and ink drawings do appear on stamps.
(as you already knew

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=465
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=466

The paper scan came from a 4 page article in the Australian Stamp News 1991
on "Brueghel on stamps" penned by David Plummer.

Old September 8th 04, 06:07 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Rodney" skrev i en meddelelse
| one of the "What I'd like to see" topics would be a
| page on "drawings" in art.
| Do we have such a thing?
|
| Yes Sir.

I hope I don't steal your thunder
I was searching for an article for Rene,
when I tripped over this.
It appears pen and ink drawings do appear on stamps.
(as you already knew

http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=465
http://groups.msn.com/Stamps/shoebox...to&PhotoID=466

The classical self-portrait. Thanks for reminding me Rodney. I think I
have it "somewhere". Brueghel was never my cup of tea, but I do all the
same have a nice small collection of Brueghel-stamps :-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old September 8th 04, 07:36 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"TC Blair" skrev i en meddelelse
m...

Rodney:

I only know of 3 stamp sets showing Tiepolo works and none
are of this work.

(1) USA 1982 (CHRISTMAS) 20c Madonna - Scott 2026

(2) San Marino (10 Sept 1970) 3 stamps Scott 733-5
Lady and Mandolin, Lady and parrot, etc...

(3) Italy 1996 Scott 2067 1000 Lire Sarah and the Angel

Blair (TC)

Blair,
Here are images of 3 Tiepolo-stamps,
Germany 1996,
Croatia 1994,
Italy 1996.

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/frame-Tiepolo.htm
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Descartes : The stamps, the coins. the banknotes and the scandal Blair (TC) General Discussion 3 August 30th 04 08:13 AM
new 8 track site Alex 8 Track Tapes 0 August 23rd 04 08:03 AM
new collecting site..it's free Alex Dolls 0 August 23rd 04 07:49 AM
Curiosity Corner #101 Who owns the stamps on mail? Rodney General Discussion 26 June 14th 04 10:31 PM
Review: new site to buy and sell your dups and cheap stamps MagicHippie Worldwide Stamps 0 January 25th 04 07:03 PM