1926 $2 bill

Old September 21st 03, 04:29 AM
JEMAMA27

Default 1926 $2 bill

I have a 1926 $2 bill G series. in Mint condition. any idea of its worth serial
number is E26058936A. My grandmother had it in a safe for years until my son
was born and she gave it to me.
Thank you
Old September 21st 03, 10:58 PM
Anonymous Joe

"JEMAMA27" wrote in message
I have a 1926 $2 bill G series. in Mint condition. any idea of its worth

serial
number is E26058936A. My grandmother had it in a safe for years until my

son
was born and she gave it to me.
Thank you

I can tell you there was no 1926 G series, however, there is a 1928 G
series.

This note would be the exact same size as the modern currency (in 1928 we
changed the size), so, if it is larger than our currency, then there is
realyl something weird

Using this 1928 G series $2 note, which I assume to be Legal Tender, as that
is the only series that would be 1928G, I can say that at these grades
(which all fall under the generic 'mint condition'), it should be worth
about this much:

60-62: $20
63-64: $75
65: $195
66: $325
67: $675+

Before you get your hopes up, a brand new note made now-a-days would
probably grade 64 or 65, so the 66 & 67 would be an exceptional note,
printed better than most, and not touched a bit. With that said, you would
be looking at the 60-62, 63-64, or 65 prices. It is very difficult to
explain how to tell the difference, it takes years to learn grading.

I would suggest researching currency grading on-line if you are still
interested (that whole grandmother keeping it in a safe thing sure made it
sound valuable, huh?) and if you think it can get the 65 (possibly even a
higher grade, they are rare, but someone has to have it), then I would
suggest getting it graded professionaly. CGC is perhaps the best known and
most likely to attract bidders if it goes up for auction. You can check
their prices, but it would be about $20 for most services, so it isn't worth
it if you think it won't grade atleast 65, as even selling it for book value
(which is difficult to do) would probably just cover the cost for grading if
it only gets 60-62. Even at 63-64 you've lost about 25% of the book value
(that is to say that selling it at book value means a profit of only 75% of
the book value, not to imply that the note is worth any less because it is
graded, in fact, quite the opposite, as buyers feel confident about graded
notes).

Either way, 65+: grade it, 64-: keep it.

Old September 23rd 03, 03:33 PM
JEMAMA27

my typo it is a 1928g series sorry thank you for your reply