New edition of Standard Catalog of World Paper Money

Old June 25th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

Default New edition of Standard Catalog of World Paper Money

On 14 Jun, 10:53, FBNeNotes wrote:
Krause does a very good job with SCWPM.. collectors should write-email
George, whenever they have New info or corrections, etc. on World
Paper Money. This vast field requires help from collectors.. write-
email, keep the knowledge flowing.

Well no, it doesn't. The buyers of the book are paying a significant
amount of money for the expertise and work of its compilers. It is
unreasonable for them to release new books if they are not up-to-date.
Let's be clear, images and information on new notes is on the
internet, and is very easily obtainable, yet they apparently cannot be
bothered to make use of this information to update their book. They
should be falling overthemselves to take new contributions and updates
by email, internet, whatever, because that is what provides their
revenue stream. No updates, no book, no revenue.
Old June 25th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Matthew,

I agree. It's hard to believe that Krause thinks this is a major new
edition. Only five new Pick number notes are illustrated in the 14th
edition.

Meanwhile my book, The Banknote Update, contains images and information on
hundreds of new notes and varieties issued over the past few years that
aren't even listed, much less illustrated, in the latest SCWPM.

How Krause could have left out so many notes is beyond me, especially since
they were extensively documented in the IBNS Journal and most of the SCWPM
contributors are IBNS members who no doubt saw the reports of these notes.
--
Owen W. Linzmayer (IBNS member 7962)
2227 15th Ave.

Read the latest news about banknotes: http://www.banknotenews.com

See my notes for sale/trade: http://www.owenink.com/banknotes/forsale.html

Buy "The Banknote Update": http://www.lulu.com/content/1753574

On 6/25/08 7:08 AM, in article
, "Matthew

Old June 26th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
dorancoins

On Jun 5, 8:18*am, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
I just received a mailer from Krause advertising the 14th edition of the
Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues.

The flyer claims it now includes a bonus DVD with key word search ability
and image enlargements. If these features actually work as advertised, it
would be a great improvement.

According to Amazon, the new book was published on June 3, 2008. Has anyone
seen the new catalog yet? I'm curious to see if they have addressed the many
known problems with past editions.

BTW, Amazon sells the catalog for $34.65, which means it qualifies for free
Super Saver Shipping. Quite a bit better than Krause's $55 list price, plus
S&H.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...6323/oweninkA/

Here is my reply from another one of Owen's postings:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...0a2af033f0513#

Michael Doran - Doran Coins
Old June 28th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Ronny Hick

If you can read German, please note the following links:
http://www.moneypedia.de/index.php/F...taben_A_-_L%29
http://www.moneypedia.de/index.php/F...taben_M_-_Z%29
Here you'll find all known errors in the catalog - and of the course
the new ones Krause made.
Old June 29th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Alas, despite my last name, I am unable to read German. If you recount all
the errors, I am sure it's a very long list

On 6/28/08 10:54 AM, in article
, "Ronny
Hick" wrote:

If you can read German, please note the following links:
http://www.moneypedia.de/index.php/F...%28Buchstaben_
A_-_L%29

Old June 29th 08, 01:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Ronny Hick

On 29 jun, 05:10, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Alas, despite my last name, I am unable to read German. If you recount all
the errors, I am sure it's a very long list

It *IS* a very long list.
Last year I've did the same, with the help of Richard Gatto (RIP) this
list was translated into English.
My usual crying: the time.
So maybe Google's translation can help a little bit?
Try (and please don't laugh, it's an automatic translation only)
http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=es&ie=UTF-8
http://translate.google.com/translat...hl=es&ie=UTF-8
Old June 29th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Ronny,

Yes, I have already taken a look at the list with the help of an online
translation service. It's quite extensive. Why Krause fails to address these
many known issues is beyond me.

On 6/29/08 5:17 AM, in article
, "Ronny
Hick" wrote:

On 29 jun, 05:10, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Alas, despite my last name, I am unable to read German. If you recount all
the errors, I am sure it's a very long list

It *IS* a very long list.
Last year I've did the same, with the help of Richard Gatto (RIP) this
list was translated into English.
My usual crying: the time.
So maybe Google's translation can help a little bit?
Try (and please don't laugh, it's an automatic translation only)
http://translate.google.com/translat...dia.de%2Findex
.php%2FFehler_im_SCWPM_III_-_Teil_1_%2528Buchstaben_A_-_L%2529&sl=de&tl=en&hl=
es&ie=UTF-8
http://translate.google.com/translat...dia.de%2Findex
.php%2FFehler_im_SCWPM_III_-_Teil_2_%2528Buchstaben_M_-_Z%2529&sl=de&tl=en&hl=
es&ie=UTF-8

Old June 30th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Ronny Hick

On 29 jun, 15:57, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Ronny,

Yes, I have already taken a look at the list with the help of *an online
translation service. It's quite extensive. Why Krause fails to address these
many known issues is beyond me.

Last year I've sent the error's list from III/13 to Mr Cuhaj.
As a regular letter, printed on paper, with a ordinary letter.
And as mail.
I've got one reply by mail:

Thanks a bunch for the hard copy of the corrections to the World Paper Money Catalog.

It is through efforts such as this that it will become a better book for all, and be most useful to folks on the web...we are soon to go to that direction also--in addition to a printed book. The book will not be going away.

You can check out the coin book product at www.numismaster.com

That's all.

Together with Arthur Matz, President of LANSA - he's a official
contributor of the SCWPM - we made corrections, additions and changes
in Latin America, for Peru (there are so many Nuevos Soles unlisted,
since 2000, and some older are wrong), Paraguay, Uruguay, Brazil,
Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico etc.
What happened?
Those stupid idiots used our corrections for Paraguay ONLY - all other
work was useless. Nothing happens.
They didn't notice:
Peru: There are 14 unlisted banknotes, and two errors for listed
banknotes.
Uruguay: You cannot merge dates from 2000 and 2003 for 20 - 100 Pesos
Uruguayos because of different printers!
Brazillease take a look at
http://www.moneypedia.de/index.php/P...3A.2C_P-251.29
and following text. You'll find ALL existing brazil Reais. Italic
catalog numbers are not given in the catalog, it's from my own. All
informations are given by Banco Central do Brazil on their own
homepage.
Mexico: A lot of dates are missing, for current banknotes and they
don't notice that current banknotes of paper have a mark for the
blinds. You cannot merge them all into one catalog number. 23 dates
and signature varieties are NOT listed.
Colombia: A lot of dates are missing.14 dates of the current banknotes
are unknown and there are some errors since P-439.
Venezuela: no new dates, 11 dates are missing!
And so on and so on - what the hell Cuhaj does? Sleeping all days
long?
And Krause only wants my money for this stupid catalog - but they do
not do anything.
While knowing of their paper money catalog I can never buy any other
catalog they publish - I always believe it's the same trash like in
the SCWPM.
This publishing company named Krause is one of the worst companies in
the world, maybe it's better to read noth korean communist papers with
more reality than the SCWPM has.
If you're making a poll "How do you like the catalog?", with notes
from A to F - this catalog will get medium a G.
Old July 2nd 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Ronny,

Obviously you're no fan of the new catalog.

I used to submit updates to Krause, but stopped after seeing they ignored
them year after year. Why solicit this info if you intend to ignore it?

I have begun producing my own catalog pages for countries that I know very
well. It's not an easy process, but it _can_ be done correctly if you care.

One of the biggest problems is the arbitrary nature of the Pick number
assignment. There doesn't seem to be a consistent logic to it either within
a country or across countries.

Personally, I don't mind seeing varieties from different printers assigned
variety letters rather than new numbers if all that has changed is the
printer imprint. To me that's like a new date or signature variety. But if
there's a substantial change in the security features or note design, then
clearly a new number should be issued.

On 6/30/08 11:00 AM, in article
, "Ronny
Hick" wrote:

On 29 jun, 15:57, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Ronny,

Yes, I have already taken a look at the list with the help of *an online
translation service. It's quite extensive. Why Krause fails to address these
many known issues is beyond me.

Last year I've sent the error's list from III/13 to Mr Cuhaj.
As a regular letter, printed on paper, with a ordinary letter.
And as mail.
I've got one reply by mail:

Thanks a bunch for the hard copy of the corrections to the World Paper Money
Catalog.

It is through efforts such as this that it will become a better book for all,
and be most useful to folks on the web...we are soon to go to that direction
also--in addition to a printed book. The book will not be going away.

You can check out the coin book product at
www.numismaster.com

That's all.

Together with Arthur Matz, President of LANSA - he's a official
contributor of the SCWPM - we made corrections, additions and changes
in Latin America, for Peru (there are so many Nuevos Soles unlisted,
since 2000, and some older are wrong), Paraguay, Uruguay, Brazil,
Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico etc.
What happened?
Those stupid idiots used our corrections for Paraguay ONLY - all other
work was useless. Nothing happens.
They didn't notice:
Peru: There are 14 unlisted banknotes, and two errors for listed
banknotes.
Uruguay: You cannot merge dates from 2000 and 2003 for 20 - 100 Pesos
Uruguayos because of different printers!
Brazillease take a look at
http://www.moneypedia.de/index.php/P...n#1_Real_.28P-
243.2C_P-243A.2C_P-251.29

Old July 3rd 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

If you can read German, please note the following links:http://www.moneypedia.de/index.php/F...-_Teil_2_%28Bu...

http://www.google.co.uk/translate?u=...F8&sl=de&tl=en
http://www.google.co.uk/translate?u=...F8&sl=de&tl=en