New edition of Standard Catalog of World Paper Money

Old June 5th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
[email protected]

Default New edition of Standard Catalog of World Paper Money

On Jun 5, 9:18*am, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
I just received a mailer from Krause advertising the 14th edition of the
Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues.

I just received the catalog. Yes, there is a DVD attached to the back
page. Looks like the entire catalog is on the DVD. Pretty cool. A
cursory look shows some of the 2007 or earlier issues are missing.
South Korea is now under "S" and North Korea under "N".

1. Guatemala up to 2006. 1Q polymer 2007 not shown.
2. Brunei up to 2004. 20 R 2007 polymer Brunei Singapore Currency
Interchangeability issue not shown.
3. Comoros up to P-20.
4. Dominican Republic up to 2002.
Old June 6th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
dorancoins

On Jun 5, 1:29*pm, wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:18*am, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote: I just received a mailer from Krause advertising the 14th edition of the
Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues.

I just received the catalog. Yes, there is a DVD attached to the back
page. Looks like the entire catalog is on the DVD. Pretty cool. *A
cursory look shows some of the 2007 or earlier issues are missing.
South Korea is now under "S" and North Korea under "N".

1. Guatemala up to 2006. 1Q polymer 2007 not shown.
2. Brunei up to 2004. 20 R 2007 polymer Brunei Singapore Currency
Interchangeability issue not shown.
3. Comoros up to P-20.
4. Dominican Republic up to 2002.

Tom - After your review, I will have to get myself a copy. Hope
Krause does this to the world coin books too.
Old June 6th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

I agree with most of your comments, but I don't think the catalog (at least
the 13th edition), is very good. It is too full of errors that have been
pointed out repeatedly, year after year. As you mention, only sloppy editing
explains references to signatures by number with a failure to publish the
corresponding signature chart.

Krause seems not to care to invest the minimal amount of time and effort
necessary to fix the problems and put out a quality product. Instead it
seems to do the minimum to sell new editions each year.

Unfortunately there's no competition, so they get away with it.

BTW, for anyone who wants to see the new notes issued in the past few years,
I recommend my own addendum to the catalog, The Banknote Update.

On 6/5/08 10:23 AM, in article
, "Giovanni C. Pettinaro"
wrote:

Hello Matthew and Owen,
I read your thread about Krause Catalog and I think that despite
the many faults of the book, it is still a good reference for World
Paper Money. Nobody nowadays exptects its valuations to be very
accurate, but yet it gives a good overview of all the notes of the many
different Countries in the World. The possibility of having a similar
catalog available as a DB on the net would be wonderful but I suppose
that the great majority of collectors would not take advantage of it.
Most of the community is made of elderly people and they do not feel
that comfortable of interacting with the new technologies. Thus, the
book as of today, it is still the best medium as you can carry it
anywhere and consult it to identify strange notes. What I find sometimes
very annoying with that catalog is when it states that some notes have
different signatures but does not show the different signatures or even
states who signed them. As an example, it is enough that you take
Belgium or even Cayman Islands. It does not say much stating that a note
has signature 15 and 5 if you do not show any table listing them. My
guess is that such tables exist but for some reasons at the time of
editing the data to be placed in the catalog, they "got lost". :-)
Anyway, I still rate it a good catalog, although for determining the
value of a note, you should always rely on a national catalog which is
closer to the market than the old Krause's prices. It would be nice
anyway, if they could show the pictures of the notes in full color.
Nowadays printing in color is not so expensive as it used to be years ago.
Anyway, in case you are interested, the website of my e-store
(http://www.papermoneymarket.com) reports a lot of information about
each Country, including information about exchange rates at the time of
issuing of the notes, currency reforms, etc. I think that people that
shop notes and are note enthusiasts could appreciate these extra
information which in many cases are not reported in Krause. :-)
Well, keep collecting and best regards.

Dr. Giovanni C. Pettinaro
(IBNS LM-166, LANSA 1173).

Pettinaro Bros. World Paper Money Market,
http://www.papermoneymarket.com

Matthew Brealey wrote:
On 5 Jun, 15:17, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Take a look at Numismaster and you'll see the emphasis is on coins, not
banknotes. What little note info is up there is US notes, not world notes.
Clearly international paper money collectors don't rank very high on
Krause's list of concerns.

I had a one-month all-access subscription there, and they had a thing
saying "new for our all-access members", saying that they had just
added another guide (on coins I think). They gave the impression that
they will continue adding more publications until all of their stuff
is up there. Also they say "Find my Currency, Search Our Online
Database of Paper Money and Bank Notes", which would suggest that they
plan to have more stuff up there eventually.

I'm certainly not holding my breath though.

Old June 6th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

The lack of inclusion of modern issues is appalling, especially considering
that while I was the editor of the IBNS newsletter, I routinely sent George
Cuhaj advanced copies of my New Notes section so that he could supply Pick
numbers for same. How is it that Krause was in possession of the info
necessary to add this to the catalog well over a year ago and it failed to
do so?

On 6/5/08 11:29 AM, in article
,

Old June 8th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
B.J. Herbison

Owen W. Linzmayer wrote:
The lack of inclusion of modern issues is appalling, especially considering
that while I was the editor of the IBNS newsletter, I routinely sent George
Cuhaj advanced copies of my New Notes section so that he could supply Pick
numbers for same. How is it that Krause was in possession of the info
necessary to add this to the catalog well over a year ago and it failed to
do so?

Parity with the coin books. If they included all the information in a
timely manner it would make the coin book editing look bad.

That's also why they omit signature pages. Many coin type and mint
variations depend on information not in the latest books.

B.J.
--
B.J. Herbison / / http://www.herbison.com/herbison/bj.html
The Next Asylum / 203 Long Hill Road / Bolton, MA 01740-1421 / +1 978
Old June 8th 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
B.J. Herbison

Default I don't trust the Krause web site

Matthew Brealey wrote:
Hmm, shouldn't it all be on numismaster.com in due course? An annual
subscription should cost less than buying the dead tree books (though
I'm not sure it will) Surely the way forward is continuously updated
online content, rather than dead-dinosaur DVDs.

Is strongly disagree with that way forward. If it's all online then:

1) I can't take it to shows. We don't have ubiquitous cheap broadband,
and won't for a long time (if ever).

2) More importantly, we depend on them maintaining their site into the
future. If they have a failure now I have the books (or can purchase a
new one from a store or eBay). If it's only on the web site it could be
gone tomorrow, or they could raise the prices tomorrow.

Those reasons are some the reasons why I wouldn't consider putting my
coin inventory on Numismaster -- there's no way to export the inventory.

(Of course, another reason is they don't respond to feedback. I
submitted several bug reports and suggestions when the site was first
available and never got any response -- I had no idea if they even
received them. I then spent a long time finding and making contact with
someone who said he cared. I forwarded him the e-mail and he never
responded.)

B.J.
Old June 14th 08, 10:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
FBNeNotes

On Jun 5, 2:09�pm, dorancoins wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:23�pm, "Giovanni C. Pettinaro"

Matthew Brealey wrote:
On 5 Jun, 15:17, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Take a look at Numismaster and you'll see the emphasis is on coins, not
banknotes. What little note info is up there is US notes, not world notes.
Clearly international paper money collectors don't rank very high on
Krause's list of concerns.

I had a one-month all-access subscription there, and they had a thing
saying "new for our all-access members", saying that they had just
added another guide (on coins I think). They gave the impression that
they will continue adding more publications until all of their stuff
is up there. Also they say "Find my Currency, Search Our Online
Database of Paper Money and Bank Notes", which would suggest that they
plan to have more stuff up there eventually.

I'm certainly not holding my breath though.- Hide quoted text -

Dr. Pettinaro, I must concur with you on the Krause catalogs
entirely. �While their handy for looking up strange notes, as far as,
for example, signature varieties, more work needs to be done. �When I
try to get a value on, for example, a banknote from Australia, I use
the McDonald book on Australian coins and currency. �I have found
things in the book that Pick or Krause has either left out or has no
idea of its existence.- Hide quoted text -

Krause does a very good job with SCWPM.. collectors should write-email
George, whenever they have New info or corrections, etc. on World
Paper Money. This vast field requires help from collectors.. write-
email, keep the knowledge flowing.
Per 14th and previous editions...
Readers with unlisted dates, signature varieties, etc. are invited to
submit photocopies of their notes to SCWPM 700 East State ST. Iola, WI
54990-0001
e-mail

Thanks,
Donald
Old June 15th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

I agree that info shouldn't be available online exclusively. However, I do
think that all the catalogs should be migrated to online in addition to
continuing to publish the printed books for those who want them. Both media
have their pros and cons.

Old June 15th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Donald,

I'm sorry, but there's no way I can agree with your conclusion that Krause
does a good job. My standards must be much higher than yours.

I'm just now going through the 14th edition and am dismayed to find that
very few of the post-2005 notes that I've documented in The Banknote Update
are included, and those that are listed aren't illustrated. That's
ridiculous.

Like many other collectors I've spoken with, I've stopped sending info to
Krause because its actions prove it simply doesn't care. After years of
submitting info and images only to see new editions come out without
including that material, why should we bother trying to help Krause?

FYI, I can't believe the PDF included with the new edition is in black &
white only. OK, I understand that printing the catalog in color would be
costly, but there's no reason not to include color images in the PDF.

On 6/14/08 2:53 AM, in article
,