Query for Mr. Klimon

Old December 25th 04, 06:13 AM

Default Query for Mr. Klimon

I am posting this with the hope that someone
with a website bearing the distinguished
name "catholicbookcollector" might have
both the knowledge and the kindness to
assist in a matter regarding two of what
might be the greatest Catholic novels
ever written.

I refer of course to novels by
Jules Barbey D'Aurevilly, specifically
two with titles often translated as, first,
"The Enchanted," and secondly as, "A Married
Priest." Sadly, although the titles
are sometimes translated in discussions
of Catholic fiction, I can not find
any evidence that the books themselves
have ever been translated into English.

Abebooks, for instance, lists only the
original French versions of those classics.
No English translations are shown. From
what I understand, D'Aurevilly's book about the
married priest is one of the earliest novels
to tackle what would have been of course a
very ticklish subject in 19th century
France. It would be intriguing to
discover how the great Catholic novelist
dealt with this controversial matter.
Also, as I understand it, the other
novel (with the title which translates
as "The Enchanted")deals with important
aspects of the French Revolution which
are often today overlooked.

My question is (and I welcome thoughtful,
informative responses from any knowledgeable
member of this forum): Do you happen to know
if these two Catholic novels have ever been
translated into English, and, if so, where
the translations might be obtained, since
they are not currently to be found in Abebooks?
Mr. Palmer
Book Room 314

Old December 25th 04, 03:13 PM
Bob Riedel

Marse Palmer writes:

Do you happen to know
if these two Catholic novels have ever been
translated into English

Here's one:

Barbey d'Aurevilly, J. (Jules), 1808-1889.
Bewitched [Ensorcelée], translated from the French by Louise Collier Willcox,
with an introduction by Ernest Boyd.
New York and London, Harper & Brothers, 1928.
276 p. 18 cm (11 copies curently on ABE).

I couldn't find an English translation of Prêtre Marié either.

Merry Christmas!
Bob
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat
Old December 27th 04, 06:08 AM

Bob Riedel wrote:
Marse Palmer writes:

Do you happen to know
if these two Catholic novels have ever been
translated into English

Here's one:

Barbey d'Aurevilly, J. (Jules), 1808-1889.
Bewitched [Ensorcel=E9e], translated from the French by Louise Collier

Willcox,
with an introduction by Ernest Boyd.
New York and London, Harper & Brothers, 1928.
276 p. 18 cm (11 copies curently on ABE).

Thanks for the tip. I think the reason
I missed that was that I put "The Enchanted"
on the title line (because I had read a
discussion of the book under that title).

I couldn't find an English translation of Pr=EAtre Mari=E9 either.

Old December 31st 04, 01:47 AM
William M. Klimon

"Bob Riedel" wrote in message

Marse Palmer writes:

Do you happen to know
if these two Catholic novels have ever been
translated into English

Here's one:

Barbey d'Aurevilly, J. (Jules), 1808-1889.
Bewitched [Ensorcelée], translated from the French by Louise Collier
Willcox,
with an introduction by Ernest Boyd.
New York and London, Harper & Brothers, 1928.
276 p. 18 cm (11 copies curently on ABE).

I couldn't find an English translation of Prêtre Marié either.

I second Bob's report. I searched OCLC and found no English translation
either.

I know Barbey d'Aurevilly principally as a prime promoter of the cult of the
dandy, especially Beau Brummell, who I have some reason to believe became a
Catholic before his death. There is an interesting nexus between dandyism
and conversion, see, e.g., this list of classic texts:

http://www.dandyism.net/principaltexts.html

William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com