Collecting Whims Revisited

Old December 20th 04, 04:03 AM
Jerry Morris

Default Collecting Whims Revisited

It's been awhile since we last revisited a thread on Collecting Whims,
and almost three years since I first posted it:
http://www.tinyurl.com/5mr62

Collecting Whims, as defined in one of the previous posts, are
out-of-the-ordinary collecting interests, odd fancies, off-track
booking, or, simply, collecting something other than Modern First
Editions.

In the previous Collecting Whims threads, I learned that many RCBers had
unique collections. Some RCBers even discovered that they had similar
interests. This current thread offers the oldtimers the opportunity to
review their old posts and provide updates to their Collecting Whims.
It also provides the opportunity for new RCBers to let everyone else
know what they collect.

I, for one, was surprised that I did not identify collecting association
books as one of my collecting whim in any of the previous collecting
whims threads. I first mentioned my interest in collecting books from
the libraries of my favorite authors in an RCB thread on Oct. 28,
2000: http://www.tinyurl.com/3qsjz

Although I already had some association books in my library, it wasn't
until sometime in 2003 that I started to actively seek them. I even
gave a name to this collecting whim: My Sentimental Library. At first,
the collection included only books formerly owned by my favorite
authors; however, the span of this collection soon exploded to include
books formerly owned by aviators, authors, entertainers, book
collectors, booksellers, bookbinders, book publishers, one Chief Justice
of the United States Supreme Court, and other famous people. I even
began to write articles for AB Bookman Magazine about this collecting
whim: http://www.tinyurl.com/5y7o5

Today, My Sentimental Library contains more than just association books.
Itincludes library catalogues, biographies, bibliographies, collected
letters, and autographed letters signed.

Recent autographed letters include one from the historian, Henry Hallam,
and another from the Johnsonian, George Birkbeck HIll. Tonight, I just
paid for two welcome additions to My Sentimental Library. For $15.50, I
will acquire a book formerly owned by the actor, Sammy Davis Jr., with
an ALS from the authors. For $100.00, I will acquire Harry B. Smith's
catalogue of the collection of books that he sold to A.S.W. Rosenbach.
Smith called this collection "The Sentimental Library. "

Pray tell, what are your collecting whims ?

Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

Old December 20th 04, 07:13 AM
Bud Webster

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:03:15 -0500, (Jerry
Morris) wrote:

Pray tell, what are your collecting whims ?

Well, I'm still actively looking for older (pre-1965) flying saucer
books, but I'll readily admit that I haven't added anything
significant to the shelf. I did find a nice copy of Bernard Newman's
juvenile novel, _The Flying Saucer_ (Golancz 1948), although it really
doesn't count - the saucers in it are fakes. Which, I guess, puts the
book on a par with all the soi-disant "factual" UFO books.

My ongoing interest in Groff Conklin has extended itself into
collecting sf/fantasy anthologies in general, which has helped
enormously in writing a column for SF CHRONICLE called "Anthopology
101." I've already turned in seven, and am working on more. I've
moved all the paperback anthos into the office where I can get to
them, swapping shelf space with the Ace Doubles, to which I don't need
frequent access.

Recent acquisitions here include a copy of Wollheim's _Portable Novels
of Science_ (Viking 1943), signed by the editor, as well as a nice
copy of Judith Merril's _Beyond Human Ken_ (Random 1953), unsigned,
alas. I've also gotten very nice copies of the first SFBC printing of
Anthony Boucher's _A Treasury of Great Science Fiction_ (Doubleday
1959, BC ed. 1960), since I've never been able to find the D'day
firsts at a price I can afford.

Speaking of whom, I've found nice copies of the two-volume (in
paperback) Boucher memorial antho, _Special Wonder_ (Beagle 1971),
edited by J. Francis McComas, as well as _The Eureka Years_ (Bantam
1982), edited by his widow, Annette Pelz McComas. Although the former
is labeled as a Boucher memorial book, it's a tribute rather than a
Boucher collection. The latter book is as much a history of THE
MAGAZINE OF FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION as it is an anthology, as it
includes correspondance between the editors and authors about the
stories included.

On the Conklin front, I not only turned up a copy of the first
printing of _Twisted_ (Belmont 1962), but a signed copy - one of only
a bare handful I've ever seen, as Conk wasn't approached to sign many
books (more's the pity). And, of course, as I gleefully reported here
several months ago, I added a copy of the earliest Conklin literary
project I've been able to find out about: the limited, signed edition
of George Moore's _A Flood_ (Harbor Press 1930), a copy inscribed by
Conklin to a family member.

Non-anthologically, I was lucky enough to bid on - and win - a fine
copy of Stanley Weinbaum's _The Black Flame_ (Fantasy Press 1948),
only to find when I got it that it was the limited state - and a low
number, too!

Huh. A LOT better than any old "convertiana" or stuff like that. At
least I got monsters and spacemen on the covers of MY books....
Old December 20th 04, 11:40 AM
William M. Klimon

"Bud Webster" wrote in message

Huh. A LOT better than any old "convertiana" or stuff like that. At
least I got monsters and spacemen on the covers of MY books....

There is something to that--books with interesting publishers' bindings or
covers or dust jackets, or illustrations or plates or engravings or prints
or illuminations, are seemingly much more collectible than books without.
(One field I admire but certainly don't collect--the history of magic,
circuses, and show business--clearly illustrates this phenomenon, in which
even the most meager ephemeron is often supremely and interestingly
illustrated.)

One figure I collect devotedly, John Thayer (1755-1815), seems never to have
been subject to a portrait, despite a fair amount of renown in his day. I
can't help but conclude--a conclusion shared by scholars whom I discussed it
with--that Thayer's aniconic status has limited interest in him to this day.

But I'm a logophile. I exult in the pure, unadorned, even anonymous word.
And to illustrate, I cite a recent brag.

I recently acquired, unopposed on eBay (although--don't tell anyone--I would
have gone 10x higher than the final price):

*An Account of the Conversion of L.T.H. to the Holy Catholic Church in 1832,
Written by Herself* (Rome: Salviuggi, 1836).

This 20-page pamphlet is in pristine original condition: uncut (i.e.,
untrimmed) in its plain printer's wrapper.

OCLC lists only two copies (Emory and Duke, of all places). The authoress,
Louisa T. Hartwell, wrote at least one other book, and there are at least
two later editions (one French) of her convert memoir. I don't know of a
lot of English-language Catholic religious publications printed at Rome in
the early 19/c. For that reason alone this would be interesting. But since
it's convertiana and doesn't appear in any major bibliography, well, I
considered it essential.

William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com

Old December 20th 04, 02:22 PM

I've started collecting in a very casual way-- early books on Scuba and
related technology. Cutoff date is about 1960 but I'm not wedded to
that. Some very fun and unusual covers in this-- personal favorite so
far is an issue of MECHANICS ILLUSTRATED with a 'BUILD YOUR OWN DIVING
APPARATUS' cover.

Old December 20th 04, 04:29 PM
Bud Webster

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:40:24 -0500, "William M. Klimon"
wrote:

But since
it's convertiana and doesn't appear in any major bibliography, well, I
considered it essential.

Well, yeah, but does it have a MONSTER on the cover? I think NOT.

Seriously, nice find. Now you have to make sure its added to the
convertiana bibliographies.
Old December 20th 04, 10:26 PM
William M. Klimon

So we've got the Sentimental Library, saucers, and scuba. (Kinda
reminds me of that Finnish motto: "sauna, sisu, and Sibelius.") Great
stuff.

Jerry, I'm especially interested in your Sentimental Airman collection.
As much as you love your Shakespeare, Dr. Johnson, and books-on-books,
I think aviator associations is an intriguingly original "taste" in
collecting: it's got aviation--and thus history of science and
engineering, military history, and travel--but it's otherwise wide open
to whatever interesting books you can find with aviation associations.
I think if you really apply some "technique," you will find some
amazing things. And of course the more single amazing things you find,
the more interesting the collection as a whole becomes.

A lot of it depends on focus. Whenever I get depressed thinking that I
will run out of convert material, I start to put out feelers to other
kinds of collections (some complementary, some not). But then I worry:
Am I spreading my resources (time, money, shelf-space) too thinly?
Will I have the resources available if a great convertianum comes
along? Those anxieties, in turn, make me want to pull back and focus
on the center ring, the main attraction, the title fight. I think the
great single-subject collections have always been made out of that kind
of focus and singularity of purpose.

But, of course, you've got to collect what interests you--preferrably
what you love.

Old December 20th 04, 11:15 PM
Tom L-M

Pray tell, what are your collecting whims ?

Jerry Morris

My new development is a single author collection of Simon Raven 1sts -
little talked about, I found his books after reading a review of his 10
volume 'Alms for Oblivion' series and the specific quote of 'a latter day
Waugh report on a new generation' - anyone fathom the Shakespeare quote?

I purchased the set in short shrift, and am working to replacing for better
condition etc - and am 9/10s of the way through - trashy in places, the
earlier, clearly autobiographical volumes show incredible depth of feeling.

I also enjoyed 'Close of Play' and his essays on 'The English Gentleman' -
but there is still much for me to find, but the cornerstone, a first of 'The
Rich Pay Late', signed by the author on the FFEP, is safely tucked away in
my bookcase....

On a sidenote, my 20th century poetry collection is improving each week - in
Oxford last week for university interview I picked up amongst some Lawrence
items, a fine 1st/2nd of Plath's Ariel, this week a first of 'Crossing the
Water' and Larkin's 'Whitsun Wedding'.

I've also just secured a nice dustwrappered first of one of my favourite
novels 'Memoirs of a Fox Hunting Man', in the first, anonymous edition!

Cheers and a merry Xmas to all,

Tom