Scanned or composed album pages? Was: The RCSD Award

Old December 6th 03, 05:05 PM
Victor Manta

Default Scanned or composed album pages? Was: The RCSD Award

Because the inquiring minds want to know :-) , I have decided to verify the
whole thing on a real case.

So I have scanned an existing album page, at 100 dpi (!), and I have then
composed the same page from scratch. In the composed page I have used the
same images as those displayed by the scanned one, by simply extracting them
from it.

Up to you to judge the results.

The scanned page is at:
http://www.values.ch/Temp/resolution1.htm

and the composed one is at:
http://www.values.ch/Temp/resolution.htm

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
Tom,

snip

There are some technical problems with album pages that are scanned. The
resolution of printers is much higher than that of computer screens. The
properly scanned album pages will produce big scans (that have to be
scrolled and scrolled, in both directions, and will also take more time to
download) or they will be reduced to smaller pages, but with texts that
cannot be anymore read on screens, because they will be too small, and

also
with smaller images. That's why, IMO:

- it is easier to work directly on computers for things that will be

finally
displayed on computer screens (what you see is what others get too)
- we won't have "real" album pages on our screens, but rather Web pages

that
approximate them, by displaying less information and by eventually making
other compromises too.

Actually, this could make the whole thing interesting and challenging

Victor Manta

Old December 6th 03, 05:43 PM
Frank Emanuel

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
Because the inquiring minds want to know :-) , I have decided to verify

the
whole thing on a real case.

So I have scanned an existing album page, at 100 dpi (!), and I have then
composed the same page from scratch. In the composed page I have used the
same images as those displayed by the scanned one, by simply extracting

them
from it.

Up to you to judge the results.

I actually like the scanned one better - I am assuming you intend this for
web display.

Frank

Old December 6th 03, 06:34 PM
Peter D

The scanned page is easy to spot online - one single graphic v several. Also
the layout is different on my computer -- the scanned page is narrower.

-

Old December 6th 03, 06:43 PM
Gordon Lee

"Victor Manta" wrote:

Because the inquiring minds want to know :-) , I have decided
to verify the whole thing on a real case.

So I have scanned an existing album page, at 100 dpi (!), and
I have then composed the same page from scratch. In the
composed page I have used the same images as those displayed
by the scanned one, by simply extracting them from it.

Up to you to judge the results.

The scanned page is at:
http://www.values.ch/Temp/resolution1.htm

and the composed one is at:
http://www.values.ch/Temp/resolution.htm

Victor Manta

Greetings Mr. Manta.
..
For testing purposes only, I vote for the scanned page.
..
Respectfully,

Gordon Lee
Great Fritain Royal Memorabilia & Resolution Re-solvement Emporium
If I like it, it's pornography. But if Victor likes it, it is erotica.

Old December 6th 03, 07:09 PM
Grandpa

I like the scanned page better in this case because it looks like a
page, taller than it is wide. The other is more of a square than a
rectangular page so it looks somewhat cluttered, stuff is too close
together. It also has an advertizement at the bottom which detracts
from the page. FWIW, my settings are 1024x768.

Old December 6th 03, 07:32 PM
Tom Loepp

Victor et al,
Thanks Victor for your comparison.
I like, as do others, the scanned page. It has the "work of art" feeling that
I was yacking about. The composed page loaded in a few seconds and the scanned
took over 10 seconds. So, in a precious post I have proposed that there are no
rules and entrants can go either way. This leaves it up to the designer. You
will note that many people will see something different with the composed page,
a real shocker when I first saw my website on a pc.
Tom

--
Thomas Loepp

Email:
Website:
http://loepp.home.mindspring.com/tom/

Old December 6th 03, 07:37 PM
Tom Loepp

OOPS, now I sound like Golum. One of my rules of art is "nothing is precious",
certainly not my "previous" post.
toma spellcheck

Old December 6th 03, 09:11 PM
Bob Ingraham

12/6/2003 10:32 AM

Victor et al,
Thanks Victor for your comparison.
I like, as do others, the scanned page. It has the "work of art" feeling that
I was yacking about. The composed page loaded in a few seconds and the scanned
took over 10 seconds. So, in a precious post I have proposed that there are no
rules and entrants can go either way. This leaves it up to the designer. You
will note that many people will see something different with the composed
page,
a real shocker when I first saw my website on a pc.
Tom

I like the look of the scanned page better, but only because the text is
easier to read. A somewhat larger font, in black, on the html version would
improve it on my monitor.

The most important lesson a web page designer is to look at his/her
creations on with different computer / browser combinations. I was firmly
married to color backgrounds, and I especially liked a light tan which
seemed to bespeak antique documents. Then I happened to take my elderly
mother to the public library in her town to show her my web site, and the
background looked like...spoilt mustard, like...no...I can't write that in
the newsgroup! It was truly awful. I went home and changed the background of
every page to pure white, much to my son's delight; he had told me to do
that in the first place, but what do kids know?

Bob

Old December 6th 03, 09:47 PM
Eric Bustad

Victor Manta wrote:
[...]

I see two advantages to the composed page: 1) is it somewhat smaller
(63798 total bytes vs. 108101 bytes for the scanned page) and 2) having
the text in the HTML rather than part of the scanned image allows a
viewer to adjust the text size to make it easier to read independently
from the images. (Both can be adjusted by changing the screen
resolution.) It also makes the text easier to copy, which may or may
not be an advantage.

= Eric

Old December 8th 03, 05:02 AM
Ames

Delurking only long enough to say that I actually agree with the majority -
I prefer the scanned page even though it is larger than the composed page.
It just has a "finished" look to it that the composed page lacks.

Ame