ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

Old February 1st 09, 02:45 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

Default ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

Pen collectors should exercise caution in deciding whether to utilize
"My Favorite Pen" of Maryland, USA for their restoration and repair
needs. We have identified several problematic issues that potential
customers should be aware of:

1.) Professional Expertise. The company's website offers anecdotal
platitudes in lieu of any accreditation or evidence of actual training
in repair or restoration. Phrase like "Over the years I studied the
various filling systems and techniques needed to make these pens good
reliable writers." gloss over the fact that the technicians at this
company have no formal training either with pen manufacturers or
jewelers nor professional training with the required tools such as
lathes electroplaters. These types of issues are often indicative of
poor workmanship and little or no QA over the finished product.

2.) Business Practices. The company offers a residential address as
their official business address and has no storefront. They are not
registered with the BBB nor does the company appear to be paying taxes
in the State of Maryland. The current wait time (4 wks) is quite
long for a non-nationally recognized repair shop. Credit cards are
not directly accepted. All of these are indicators of either an
illicit business or an amateurish dilettante ("hobbyist") operation
masquerading as a business.

3.) Personal Trustiworthiness. The proprietor claims to be a former
United States Navy SEAL, despite the fact that these claims cannot be
backed up by VeriSEAL, AuthentiSEAL or any of the other special forces
veteran communities. The proprietor claims he cannot provide
documentation of his service because of a fire that destroyed his
unclassified records and his tours and units are classified.
Similarly, he is unable to supply the name of his BUD/s class, swim
buddy or any of his CO's. While we are not in a position to determine
with 100% certainty, the veracity of his claims, customers should
consider the possibility that he is at best a boaster and at worst is
someone generating his veteran status out of whole cloth to present an
image of respectability.

Final Assessment: YELLOW.

The company "My Favorite Pen" is not a legitimate business operation.
While we have not received any complaints indicating that it is an
internet scam, however this is not a guarantee of security when
dealing with companies of this type. The most likely possibility is
that this a "hobbyist" operating with little knowledge and turning out
a hit or miss product. Customers are advised only to deal with
companies awarded a GREEN rating.

ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY
Old February 4th 09, 09:11 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

I have endeavored to answer your questions below, though many of them
show any underlying lack of knowledge of Usenet, fountain pen repair
or the internet fountain pen community. I'd recommend you browse at
www.fountainpennetwork.com or pentrace.net to remedy the last two.
Answers follow your originial questions:

On Jan 31, 9:11*pm, "j.f." wrote:
In article
,
Please answer the following questions to prove you are not merely
posting spam:

1. Who are you? If you don't know already, you likely wouldn't believe me. So, I am skipping this one.
2. As in what is your actual name? How is this different than question #1? Verification is impossible on Usenet.
3. What is _your_ "accredited training" in the repair of pens no longer
manufactured? Over 15 years as a technician first for Sheaffer and later for Montblanc USA.
4. What fountain pen repair accrediting organizations currently operate
in the United States? If you are unfamiliar with the trade, I'm afraid my answers wouldn't appease you.
5. By who's authority do you randomly take pen repair websites and issue
"advisories"? When a "number" of queries come in asking whether a site is legitimate or "what do you think of the work of XXXX?" we endeavor to reply in a public forum, instead of sending out numerous emails. The "number" can vary depending on the frequency of inquiry and size/how well known the repair center is.
6. What percentage of pen repair businesses in the US operate out of
"residential addresses"? Legitimate ones? Somewhere around 15%, mostly hobbyists turning out poor quality products. Scam ones? Around 85%, taking pens and money and then vanishing into the night.
7. Is registration with the BBB a requirement to operate a business in
any State? In general no, the BBB is a voluntary organization to build trust between small businesses and customers. By itself, not belonging is not necessarily a sign of shady business. However, coupled with cash only transactions, lack of a storefront and a residential "business" address these tend to indicate a scam operation.
8. What do lathes and electroplating equipment have to do with
functional repair of fountain pens? If you are unclear on this, there are many books available to repair that will illustrate this in as much detail as you wish. You can also ask in the forums mentioned above.
9. And what authority "requires" the presence of both in a pen repair
facility? Again like the BBB, it is not required. However, by not having them the types of repairs and restoration possible is severely curtailed. Any serious repair/restoration business that is not just replacing worn parts with NOS, will require both.
10. What training is currently provided by defunct manufacturers in the
repair of fountain pens which are no longer made? This is a detailed question that depends on the manufacturer. Sheaffer certifies vintage repair operations. Many other manufacturers offer training and access to NOS parts. I encourage you to look into this and directly contact the manufacturer for any pens that you wish to have restored.
11. What does jewelry training have to do with the functional repair of
fountain pens? Same answer as #9 & #10.
12. What studies of fountain pen enthusiasts and professionals have you
personally performed in order to come up with your color-coded rating
system? The development is proprietary, however in general, if you can satisfy the reasonable man test for the three categories, then you will likely be awarded a GREEN rating. If you look shady, you'll be assigned a YELLOW rating. Shady businesses that we have documented complaints about will likely be assigned a RED rating.
13. What's in it for you? How is this post not an attempt at extortion? The betterment of the aftermarket restoration community. I fail to see how you are getting extortion out of the advisory.

I look forward to your professional answers.

Thank you for your interest.
Old February 5th 09, 04:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jules

Are you affiliated with Fountain Pen Network?
If so, how?

wrote:
I have endeavored to answer your questions below, though many of them
show any underlying lack of knowledge of Usenet, fountain pen repair
or the internet fountain pen community. I'd recommend you browse at
www.fountainpennetwork.com or pentrace.net to remedy the last two.
Answers follow your originial questions:

On Jan 31, 9:11 pm, "j.f." wrote:

In article
,

Old February 15th 09, 04:51 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

This person is a liar who obviously has a problem with me being in
business..... I have my suspicions as to who it might be....
I will answer in his own thread... please read my comments after the
OPs

On 31 Jan, 20:45, wrote:
ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

Pen collectors should exercise caution in deciding whether to utilize
"My Favorite Pen" of Maryland, USA for their restoration and repair
needs. *We have identified several problematic issues that potential
customers should be aware of:

1.) Professional Expertise. *technicians at this
company have no formal training either with pen manufacturers or
jewelers nor professional training with the required tools such as
lathes electroplaters. *These types of issues are often indicative of
poor workmanship and little or no QA over the finished product.

One does not need to be trained by any manufacturer to do restoration
on vintage pens... one needs to have studied the pens and how they
work and learned what works and what does not...
Two of the major professional restorers that I know personally have
never been trained by a manufacturer... both have over 18 week waiting
lists to have work done by them... must be their poor workmanship
I do not offer plating or lathe work on my site, therefore do not need
to have experience with electroplaters... nor do I need to have been
trained by a jeweler as I do not offer that service.

2.) Business Practices. *The company offers a residential address as
their official business address and has no storefront. *They are not
registered with the BBB nor does the company appear to be paying taxes
in the State of Maryland. *The current wait time (4 wks) is quite
long for a non-nationally recognized repair shop. *Credit cards are
not directly accepted. *All of these are indicators of either an
illicit business or an amateurish dilettante ("hobbyist") operation
masquerading as a business.

Both of the major professional restores mentioned above also use their
residential addresses.... that is not the criteria of a restorer...
I do not need to be registered with the BBB in MD and I do pay both
federal and state taxes on my business...
Wait time is an estimate, in many cases it is less than 4 weeks.
I do not accept credit cards because of the cost..... this is not a
full time business for me.... not all restorers do this full time...

3.) Personal Trustiworthiness. *The proprietor claims to be a former
United States Navy SEAL, despite the fact that these claims cannot be
backed up by VeriSEAL, AuthentiSEAL or any of the other special forces
veteran communities. *The proprietor claims he cannot provide
documentation of his service because of a fire that destroyed his
unclassified records and his tours and units are classified.
Similarly, he is unable to supply the name of his BUD/s class, swim
buddy or any of his CO's. *While we are not in a position to determine
with 100% certainty, the veracity of his claims, customers should
consider the possibility that he is at best a boaster and at worst is
someone generating his veteran status out of whole cloth to present an
image of respectability.

I will not even go into this insulting remark..... it has relevance to
my restoration ability.

Final Assessment: YELLOW.

The company "My Favorite Pen" is not a legitimate business operation.
While we have not received any complaints indicating that it is an
internet scam, however this is not a guarantee of security when
dealing with companies of this type. *The most likely possibility is
that this a "hobbyist" operating with little knowledge and turning out
a hit or miss product. *Customers are advised only to deal with
companies awarded a GREEN rating.

I would really like to know who the We is in "we have not received any
complaints indicating that it is an
internet scam, however this is not a guarantee of security when
dealing with companies of this type" and who they are to judge my ability and business...

As I mentioned above... I believe I know who might be posting this and
they do have a bone to pick with me.... but it is of their own
making...

ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

Old February 15th 09, 05:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

On 31 Jan, 20:45, wrote:
[...]

I will not even go into this insulting remark..... it has no relevance

Old February 15th 09, 08:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

On 1 Feb, 01:45, wrote:
ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

You are using a username that is chosen to look as if you have an
affiliation with the Fountain Pen Network. Please make yourself known
to the moderators and admin at the FPN and in the meantime please
cease and desist from linking to the FPN or implying that what you
post here is in any way sanctioned by the FPN.

Old February 16th 09, 02:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

I am a member of the Admin Team on FPN and would like to point out
that the posts above do NOT come from any member of our team.
FPN in no way endorses any of the statements made.

On a personal note I might add that I find this type of anonymous
attack despicable.

No further duscussion will be entered into.

Ruaidhrí Murphy
Old February 16th 09, 08:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
bowcan

wrote in message
I am a member of the Admin Team on FPN and would like to point out
that the posts above do NOT come from any member of our team.
FPN in no way endorses any of the statements made.

On a personal note I might add that I find this type of anonymous
attack despicable.

No further duscussion will be entered into.

Ruaidhrí Murphy

---------------

'Nuff said then!

thank you sir!

--Bruce

(Might add I have dealt with the repairman / vendor in question and have no
compliants. Item shipped in timely manner & he answered questions within
minutes of PMs.)

Old February 17th 09, 07:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"bowcan" wrote in message

(Might add I have dealt with the repairman / vendor in question and have
no compliants. Item shipped in timely manner & he answered questions
within minutes of PMs.)

Thanks, that's good to know.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.