pilot capless problems

Old August 28th 08, 11:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

Default pilot capless problems

I recently purchased a capless and am liking the pen quite a bit.
The trouble is that I think I have recieved a bad nib unit. The
first ink I tried was a pilot cartridge and within 20 minutes
ink was running down the tip of the nib. The leak is coming
from where the gold nib connects to the unit body. It is slow
but makes the pen unusable as is.

For a temporary fix I built a few coats of wax on that part of
the pen, it has stopped the problem enough for a couple of
days.

I'm really not sure how these nib units are fit together, but
the fit on mine is bad or missing sealant. Been thinking of using
rubber cement to seal that area more permenantly.

What is pilot customer service like? Any other options on the
cheap?

matthew
Old August 29th 08, 05:38 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
I recently purchased a capless and am liking the pen quite a bit.
The trouble is that I think I have recieved a bad nib unit. The
first ink I tried was a pilot cartridge and within 20 minutes
ink was running down the tip of the nib. The leak is coming
from where the gold nib connects to the unit body. It is slow
but makes the pen unusable as is.

For a temporary fix I built a few coats of wax on that part of
the pen, it has stopped the problem enough for a couple of
days.

I'm really not sure how these nib units are fit together, but
the fit on mine is bad or missing sealant. Been thinking of using
rubber cement to seal that area more permenantly.

What is pilot customer service like? Any other options on the
cheap?

If I were you, I'd ask the store to exchange the nib unit. They sell
individually for $20-25 or so and the store might have some already in
stock. If not, the store can swap yours with the nib unit of another pen and
deal with it after you leave.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old August 29th 08, 12:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-08-29, Bluesea wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message
[...]

The merchant is in japan so that is highly inconvienant. At
that point I might as well purchase the unit myself.
Old August 29th 08, 08:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

On 2008-08-29, Bluesea wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message
[...]

Matthew, I agree with Bluesea that the merchant owes you a good nib under
guarantee. That said, if you want to use the pen immediately, buying another
nib might be safer than using the leaky one. There are springs and "lids"
inside the pen, which I wouldn't want to flood with ink. (Can you even wash
the innards?)

Old August 30th 08, 12:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-08-29, Jimmy wrote:

Matthew, I agree with Bluesea that the merchant owes you a good nib under
guarantee. That said, if you want to use the pen immediately, buying another
nib might be safer than using the leaky one. There are springs and "lids"
inside the pen, which I wouldn't want to flood with ink. (Can you even wash
the innards?)

I just emailed the merchant about this so hopefully I will get
taken care of. I'm not sure how the pen disassembles but I put
a long cue-tip inside to clean the ink out.

With the wax I managed to almost stop the problem....

Interested in hearing from anybody who knows these pens.

matthew

Old August 30th 08, 09:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

On 2008-08-29, Jimmy wrote:

snip

I just emailed the merchant about this so hopefully I will get
taken care of. I'm not sure how the pen disassembles but I put
a long cue-tip inside to clean the ink out.

With the wax I managed to almost stop the problem....

Interested in hearing from anybody who knows these pens.

matthew

If you haven't spotted it, there is a history page at
http://riverapens.home.mindspring.co...ages/index.htm

It goes back to 1963. Interesting to see how the clip is more "out of the
way" in the 1964 models - I quite like the look of them.

Old August 30th 08, 10:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
I recently purchased a capless and am liking the pen quite a bit.
The trouble is that I think I have recieved a bad nib unit. The
first ink I tried was a pilot cartridge and within 20 minutes
ink was running down the tip of the nib. The leak is coming
from where the gold nib connects to the unit body. It is slow
but makes the pen unusable as is.

Is it possible that the cartridge wasn't inserted all the way? Mine has to
be pushed in firmly and it isn't easy at the end. The end of the cartridge
sticks out 1-5/16" from the top of the unit.

Just wondering.

Old August 30th 08, 10:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

On 2008-08-29, Bluesea wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message
[...]

I've run tap water through the barrel until the water ran clear then shook
it to help dry.

Old August 30th 08, 10:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

On 2008-08-29, Jimmy wrote:

Matthew, I agree with Bluesea that the merchant owes you a good nib under
guarantee. That said, if you want to use the pen immediately, buying
another
nib might be safer than using the leaky one. There are springs and "lids"
inside the pen, which I wouldn't want to flood with ink. (Can you even
wash
the innards?)

I just emailed the merchant about this so hopefully I will get
taken care of. I'm not sure how the pen disassembles but I put
a long cue-tip inside to clean the ink out.

You can repeatedly fill the barrel with water and empty until the water
comes out clear. I haven't tried it, but maybe try a pipe cleaner if you
feel it needs some scrubbing action. Water alone should be fine, IMO.

Old August 30th 08, 10:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...

If you haven't spotted it, there is a history page at
http://riverapens.home.mindspring.co...ages/index.htm

It goes back to 1963. Interesting to see how the clip is more "out of the
way" in the 1964 models - I quite like the look of them.

Thanks. I didn't realize my pen was that old (1994 - 99). I bought it new in
'03 or '04.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Pilot Capless Decimo squeaks! Moira Perkins Pens & Pencils 29 March 13th 07 12:21 AM
A great Pilot/Namiki Capless/VP page BL Pens & Pencils 0 December 9th 06 09:18 PM
Capless rollerball, ergonomic and heavish? BigBen Pens & Pencils 1 March 27th 06 02:10 AM
Pilot Demo FP Speebob Pens & Pencils 0 April 8th 04 02:41 AM
My Pilot is a Pig...really Speebob Pens & Pencils 2 February 28th 04 05:54 PM