ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

Old February 22nd 09, 07:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

Default ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

On 31 Jan, 19:45, wrote:
ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

Pen collectors should exercise caution in deciding whether to utilize
"My Favorite Pen" of Maryland, USA for their restoration and repair
needs. *We have identified several problematic issues that potential
customers should be aware of:

1.) Professional Expertise. *The company's website offers anecdotal
platitudes in lieu of any accreditation or evidence of actual training
in repair or restoration. *Phrase like "Over the years I studied the
various filling systems and techniques needed to make these pens good
reliable writers." gloss over the fact that the technicians at this
company have no formal training either with pen manufacturers or
jewelers nor professional training with the required tools such as
lathes electroplaters. *These types of issues are often indicative of
poor workmanship and little or no QA over the finished product.

2.) Business Practices. *The company offers a residential address as
their official business address and has no storefront. *They are not
registered with the BBB nor does the company appear to be paying taxes
in the State of Maryland. *The current wait time (4 wks) is quite
long for a non-nationally recognized repair shop. *Credit cards are
not directly accepted. *All of these are indicators of either an
illicit business or an amateurish dilettante ("hobbyist") operation
masquerading as a business.

3.) Personal Trustiworthiness. *The proprietor claims to be a former
United States Navy SEAL, despite the fact that these claims cannot be
backed up by VeriSEAL, AuthentiSEAL or any of the other special forces
veteran communities. *The proprietor claims he cannot provide
documentation of his service because of a fire that destroyed his
unclassified records and his tours and units are classified.
Similarly, he is unable to supply the name of his BUD/s class, swim
buddy or any of his CO's. *While we are not in a position to determine
with 100% certainty, the veracity of his claims, customers should
consider the possibility that he is at best a boaster and at worst is
someone generating his veteran status out of whole cloth to present an
image of respectability.

Final Assessment: YELLOW.

The company "My Favorite Pen" is not a legitimate business operation.
While we have not received any complaints indicating that it is an
internet scam, however this is not a guarantee of security when
dealing with companies of this type. *The most likely possibility is
that this a "hobbyist" operating with little knowledge and turning out
a hit or miss product. *Customers are advised only to deal with
companies awarded a GREEN rating.

ADVISORY *** Suspect pen restoration service *** ADVISORY

Old February 22nd 09, 07:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

On 31 Jan, 19:45, wrote:
[...]

You obviously are either totally confused or are simply a troll in
disguise. I not only know this man, I have also bought three one of a
kind custom fountain pens from him and I am nothing but impressed with
them. They are among my favorite pens and among the few I use on a
regular basis. As far as his reputation for repair/restoration
services I would not hesitate for a second to have him work on my
pens. Your advisory is a total falsehood. I don't know what your
problem is but you definitely have one (a problem).