Sifting thru 50 rolls of 2003-d jeffersons

Old December 12th 03, 11:22 PM
frank wight

Default Sifting thru 50 rolls of 2003-d jeffersons

I bought $100 worth of brand new jeffersons
from the local bank--they handed me a box of them.

When I got home, I'd cut open the rubber tube rolls
and looked thru my treaure.

95-98% of them had really ugly scars on them
I think the problem is that when the coin is struck it
is very hot and falls on top of hot copper/nickel coins.

The hot metal is soft enough to easily be defaced
by the avalanche of...

If you buy Jefferson rolls thru a retailer
for $4 per roll (thinking you're going to get
nice BU nickels) you're probably going to get hosed.

UGLY coins. Ugly, Ugly.
Old December 13th 03, 09:57 AM
cladking

Actually you're doing pretty well if there are any nice coins in a
lot. Finding good quality coins made in the last 38 years has been an
undertaking. The quality has improved somewhat in the last few years
at least as far as strike is concerned. The older coins were not only
scratched up but were also obliquely struck by worn dies in most
cases.

One solution that many have found is the mint sets. These coins are
struck by new dies under increased pressure but even here coins which
aren't marked can be extremely difficult to find. Some coins are
found nicest in the regular stream of commercial coins but most of the
nicest will be found in the set. People didn't save any quantities of
the dimes and quarters so these are found only in the sets.

The best way to find the nice coins made for circulation is to wait
until you get a good one in change and ask the clerk where they do
their banking. There is usually a lot of "bunching up" of gems or
varieties so there will be more at the source. Some years though you
just won't run into any nice coins.
Old December 14th 03, 12:37 AM
frank wight

(cladking) sipped his coffee and
wrote in message news:
Actually you're doing pretty well if there are any nice coins in a
lot. Finding good quality coins made in the last 38 years has been an
undertaking. SNIP, SNIP, SNIP

I had to pour out 52 rolls of Arkansas Quarters to find
TWO rolls that I liked. You should see some of the *very worse*
strikes I could find...I coddle them and treasure them...they
are truly hideous soft-strikes.

One solution that many have found is the mint sets. These coins are
struck by new dies under increased pressure but even here coins which
aren't marked can be extremely difficult to find. Some coins are
found nicest in the regular stream of commercial coins but most of the
nicest will be found in the set. People didn't save any quantities of
the dimes and quarters so these are found only in the sets.

What you are saying is the scariest thing in
coin collecting--bust up a mint set--but you are right

The best way to find the nice coins made for circulation is to wait
until you get a good one in change and ask the clerk where they do
their banking. There is usually a lot of "bunching up" of gems or
varieties so there will be more at the source. SNIP, SNIPPITY SNIP

I visited over 18 bank branches to try to find a good arkansas
quarter. Really frusserating to get hosed.
just won't run into any nice coins.