Most unusual or remarkable paper money / banknotes?

Old January 29th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

Default Most unusual or remarkable paper money / banknotes?

Can anyone suggest what could be considered some very unusual examples
of paper money or banknotes? I'm aware of wooden notes, silk notes and
postage stamp currency. Are there other strange examples?

Thank you,

Alex C
Old January 29th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

"Alex" wrote in message

Can anyone suggest what could be considered some very unusual examples
of paper money or banknotes? I'm aware of wooden notes, silk notes and
postage stamp currency. Are there other strange examples?

Thank you,

Alex C

Here are some that I bought in a small shop in Germany several years ago:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmon...ople/lille.jpg

These are small change notes that mimic coins in their shape, they are from
Lille France and are dated 1915.

Old January 30th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

The oldest known surviving banknotes are Chinese from the 14th century.
They are made from mulberry bark. Old english notes were made from used
cotton. There are bullion notes (made from gold / silver). Some modern
notes are made from plastic (polymer) which was unusual 10 years ago !

Old January 30th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
What are they made of?

Tony

They are a thin cardboard material.

Old January 31st 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

In article , "PossumTrot"
wrote:

How about a depression era local script printed on Salmon skin?

Salmon skin? Too easy ... Try:

http://www.kenbarr.com/Favorites/clamshell.jpg

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old February 4th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

German Notgeld issues are really weird on their wood, cloth, leather,
porcellain and many other material usage. They are collorful and show
almost anything.

Take a look at this sample of silk banknote:
Bielefeld - 21 Mark - 1921 - http://www.notafilia.com.br/seda.html

More about Notgeld: http://www.notafilia.com.br/engnotgeld.html

Greetings,

Régis Giampersa
http://www.notafilia.com.br

Old February 6th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money

In article . com "paulistaner" writes:
German Notgeld issues are really weird on their wood, cloth, leather,
porcellain and many other material usage. They are collorful and show
almost anything.

Take a look at this sample of silk banknote:
Bielefeld - 21 Mark - 1921 - http://www.notafilia.com.br/seda.html

It is 25 Mark and it is not "Notgeld". It is issued by the Stadtsparkasse
in Bielefeld (a local bank) on occasion on the 700th anniversary of the
city. Whether it is indeed a "banknote" depends on your definition. It
was (I think) certainly not intended to circulate. (And, yes, I have one.)