121 coins missing from State of Ohio coin fund

Old May 1st 05, 12:35 PM
stonej

Default 121 coins missing from State of Ohio coin fund

The revelations with this mess just keep on coming.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS24/505010425

Oh CW where are you??

Old May 1st 05, 01:20 PM
Phil DeMayo

On 1 May 2005 04:35:46 -0700, "stonej"
wrote:

The revelations with this mess just keep on coming.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS24/505010425

Oh CW where are you??

Something seems fishy regarding the two coins worth $300,000 that were
supposedly lost in the mail. from the article:

"They were being sent to Mr. Storeim by Express Mail from a
professional coin grading company in California, which certified their
quality.

He said when he got the package it appeared that it had been tampered
with.

Mr. Storeim said after opening the package, he found the two coins
missing. He contacted Mr. Noe within minutes and later filed a report
with the Jefferson County, Colorado, Sheriff's Department.

The sheriff's department ruled that it couldn't determine how the
coins were lost and closed the case, a department spokesman said."

It sounds like they were sent to PCGS.

Would PCGS really ship two coins of this value by Express Mail and not
by registered mail?

You must pay for return postage and insurance on all submissions to
PCGS....why is there no mention of an insurance claim?

Old May 1st 05, 01:37 PM
stonej

It does seem strange. Were the coins
worth $300,000 really in the package
or were other coins in there?

Are the coins worth $300,000 among the
121 just revealed as missing?

Kudos to the Toledo Blade for keeping on
top of this story.

Old May 1st 05, 03:05 PM
Phil DeMayo

On 1 May 2005 05:37:21 -0700, "stonej"
wrote:

Are the coins worth $300,000 among the
121 just revealed as missing?

According to the article....yes.

The 121 include the original two plus 119 others that the audit
revealed were missing.

Old May 1st 05, 04:20 PM
PC

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
It does seem strange. Were the coins
worth $300,000 really in the package
or were other coins in there?

Are the coins worth $300,000 among the
121 just revealed as missing?

Kudos to the Toledo Blade for keeping on
top of this story.

This sounds like the tip of the iceberg of something real shady. I would
comment on some of Mr Noe's buddies in Washington but I don't want to feed
the troll.

This may turn out to be yet another corrupt politician lining his own
pockets at the expense of taxpayers. Bummer.

Conspiracy Thoery: I wonder who is censoring this news at Coin World? ;-)

Old May 1st 05, 04:22 PM
Bob Peterson

I don't think it matters much who his buddies are anywhere. It sounds like
a major scam.

"PC" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old May 1st 05, 05:00 PM
Anka

A spokesman for Gov. Bob Taft said yesterday the governor's office
was unaware that a total of 121 coins are now missing.

Governor Taft was unaware. So what else is new.

~Anka

Old May 1st 05, 05:51 PM
PC

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message
I don't think it matters much who his buddies are anywhere. It sounds like
a major scam.

Birds of a feather...

Old May 1st 05, 06:08 PM
Bob Peterson

You have to remember that basically a lot of politicians are low lifes,
regardless of party afilliation. In some areas repuclicans are worse in
other democrats. The worst seem to be democrats right now because they have
typically held power longer and had a longer chance of becoming this way,
but I'm sure the republicans will catch up in this respect given a few more
years. There are exceptions, but for reasons I do not fully understand, a
large number of lifetime politicians are not very ethical or moral. Term
limits is the answer. I just wish the voters would enforce them.

The other problem is that politicians tend to start believing their own BS.
I think it is a self-defense mechanism. They'd probably jump off the
nearest bridge if they actually realized what they were doing was doing to
the voters.

Old May 1st 05, 06:28 PM
PC

The other problem is that politicians tend to start believing their own
BS. I think it is a self-defense mechanism. They'd probably jump off the
nearest bridge if they actually realized what they were doing was doing to
the voters.

Yes, the higher you go in politics the more you live in a plastic bubble.

Why anyone wants to put these slezoids on dollar coins is beyond me. :-)