Today's coin folders?

Old August 23rd 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dan P.

Default Today's coin folders?

I've been thinking about getting some coin folders for the kids to put
their State Quarters and Presidential dollars in. The brands at the
bookstore include Whitman and H.E. Harris. My question is do I have to
worry about unsightly toning from the folders? Are they low sulfur? I
remember how my old Whitman folders toned my coins. Of course, that
involved mostly silver and copper coins. Maybe copper nickel and brass
won't be affected as much. I did get the official US Mint map for the
State Quarters when the series first started. The quarters go into a
plastic depression. Many of the coins have taken on a golden toning.

Old August 23rd 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Dan P." wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been thinking about getting some coin folders for the kids to put
their State Quarters and Presidential dollars in. The brands at the
bookstore include Whitman and H.E. Harris. My question is do I have to
worry about unsightly toning from the folders? Are they low sulfur? I
remember how my old Whitman folders toned my coins. Of course, that
involved mostly silver and copper coins. Maybe copper nickel and brass
won't be affected as much. I did get the official US Mint map for the
State Quarters when the series first started. The quarters go into a
plastic depression. Many of the coins have taken on a golden toning.

I'd get it straight from the manufacturer:

http://www.whitmanbooks.com/Default.aspx?Page=50

James

Old August 23rd 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article .com, "Dan P."
wrote:

I've been thinking about getting some coin folders for the kids to put
their State Quarters and Presidential dollars in. The brands at the
bookstore include Whitman and H.E. Harris. My question is do I have to
worry about unsightly toning from the folders? Are they low sulfur? I
remember how my old Whitman folders toned my coins. Of course, that
involved mostly silver and copper coins. Maybe copper nickel and brass
won't be affected as much. I did get the official US Mint map for the
State Quarters when the series first started. The quarters go into a
plastic depression. Many of the coins have taken on a golden toning.

At a local coin shop where I "help out" on occasion, one of
my jobs is freqently "stripping out" the newly purchased
collections housed in various folders and albums ...

I've noticed lately that many of the modern Whitman folders
are much more reactive with the coins than their older
counterparts were. Just yestiday I disemboweled a partial
set of Lincoln Memorials to throw into the "pre-1982 copper
bucket" and the "1982-on wrap-for-the-bank bucket" and
wuz surprised to see that the coins were TIGHTLY adhered
to the folder and that many of the post-1982 coins had
a layer of green crud (zinc pest?) around the rim ...

This does not bode well for future generations of Zincoln
collectors ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old August 23rd 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Ken Barr" wrote in message
In article .com, "Dan
P."
wrote:

[...]

I wonder if the folders that have sat around a while are less corrosive than
those of recent manufacture because they have had more time for the toxins
to have outgassed.

James

Old August 23rd 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

On Aug 23, 12:28 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:

I wonder if the folders that have sat around a while are less corrosive than
those of recent manufacture because they have had more time for the toxins
to have outgassed.

That's what your wife wonders about you, o flatulent one.

Old August 23rd 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Aug 23, 2:30 am, "Dan P." wrote:
I've been thinking about getting some coin folders for the kids to put
their State Quarters and Presidential dollars in. The brands at the
bookstore include Whitman and H.E. Harris. My question is do I have to
worry about unsightly toning from the folders? Are they low sulfur? I
remember how my old Whitman folders toned my coins. Of course, that
involved mostly silver and copper coins. Maybe copper nickel and brass
won't be affected as much. I did get the official US Mint map for the
State Quarters when the series first started. The quarters go into a
plastic depression. Many of the coins have taken on a golden toning.

I think that the Harris folders may be a little better - they look
like they have some kind teflon backing as opposed to the Whitman's
which seem to allow close contact with paper. I have some state
quarters that have been in a Harris folder since 1998 and they do not
seem to have toned. For grins, I'm trying a head-to-head comparing
Whitman to Harris folders with some Lincoln cents - I expect to know
the results in about 15 years ... hope I'm around to see the results.

Of course, to be on the safe side, I generally assume than any coin in
a folder or album will eventually tone and I don't use them for
anything too valuable ...

FA: Many varied coin folders linxlvr Coins 0 November 23rd 05 02:06 PM
FA: coins and coin folders mark Coins 0 December 15th 04 02:51 AM
Littleton coin folders Mark Behrens Coins 1 March 10th 04 03:18 PM
Coin Folders Enalk3430 Coins 1 March 9th 04 03:21 AM
3 FREE coin folders :) Paul Coins 0 October 28th 03 11:42 PM