If you're into heavy medal, look at this

Old August 11th 03, 12:17 AM
Steven Preston

Default If you're into heavy medal, look at this

eBay item 3039155485 (Ends Aug-12-03 20:10:03 PDT) - 1876 Centennial
Medal (US Mint Made)
Address:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3039155485

While I neither know nor endorse the seller, this is a good example of
the type of piece I like (I have one of these or I'd wait until after
the auction to post it
This was struck by the US mint for the 1876 centennial exhibiion and is
common for a mint medal with several hundreds in existence. Several
different medals were struck for the exhibition; almost all are quite
beautiful, some are very rare. The pictures on the auction are good but
do not let you appreciate the relief of the piece which is rather high.
I didn't look at the S&H too closely, but the piece is worth every cent
of the opening bid. For the price of an MS-65 1881-S Morgan dollar, you
can have a piece with about 0.1% the mintage and infinitely more
attractive. If you think classic commems are addictive, just wait until
you buy that first large bronze- don't blame me, I warned you

-Steve

Old August 11th 03, 01:18 AM
Art O'Connell

It certainly is a beautiful medal and a great piece of Americana to own.

Thanks for the post.

Art

Old August 11th 03, 01:30 AM
Dale Hallmark

"Art O'Connell" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Nice medal! I have 70-80 Modern US Mint medals and I really enjoy them.
Nothing to compare to that though. How big is that medal? Once they get
over about 44mm,
I lose my attraction for them. Something to do with having collected coins
for so long I guess.

Dale

Old August 11th 03, 01:38 AM
Chrysta Wilson

In article ,
says...
[...]

Very nice! ) It's the high relief that draws me to medals, I think. I
got to look at some really nice ones in Baltimore. I think some are just
hard to appreciate in photos. The only medal I have is a Truman medal
that has such high relief his nose just about busted through the Mylar of
the 2x2 it was in. I have since liberated him, but with that honker, I
really don't know *what* to store him in that he won't look ridiculous!

Chrysta

Old August 11th 03, 03:52 AM
crc2074

"Steven Preston" wrote in message
eBay item 3039155485 (Ends Aug-12-03 20:10:03 PDT) - 1876 Centennial
Medal (US Mint Made)
Address:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3039155485

While I neither know nor endorse the seller, this is a good example of
the type of piece I like (I have one of these or I'd wait until after
the auction to post it

I do know and highly recommend the seller...Scott's one of the good ones.
JimP
Now then where did I put that endorsement contract?