Question

Old November 16th 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Don

Default Question

It seems like my pens with a screw on cap dry out less and also
write more consistent than the push on cap pens. The reverse
side of this is my sccrew on pens are either Pelikan, Sailor, etc;
which I paid more for.

Don
Old November 16th 07, 03:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu

Don writes:

It seems like my pens with a screw on cap dry out less and also
write more consistent than the push on cap pens. The reverse
side of this is my sccrew on pens are either Pelikan, Sailor, etc;
which I paid more for.

I would be inclined to say that most push-on pens are either slightly
cheaper or they do not have as good a seal as the screw on caps, and
hence, dry out faster. On the other hand, writing consistently, I
don't know about. I have a Waterman that has a VERY loose cap, which
can even just fall off at time. It writes consistently, though it does
suffer from the dry out. I just have to wet it a bit before beginning
and it works just fine. This as opposed to my MB which writes
consistently and doesn't dry out very quickly at all.

--
((name "Aaron Hsu")
(email/xmpp ")
Old November 16th 07, 04:56 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_2_]

"Don" wrote in message
It seems like my pens with a screw on cap dry out less and also
write more consistent than the push on cap pens. The reverse
side of this is my sccrew on pens are either Pelikan, Sailor, etc;
which I paid more for.

Don

What is your question?

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old November 16th 07, 05:54 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Don

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:56:54 -0600, "Bluesea"
wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
.. .
It seems like my pens with a screw on cap dry out less and also
write more consistent than the push on cap pens. The reverse
side of this is my sccrew on pens are either Pelikan, Sailor, etc;
which I paid more for.

Don

What is your question?

Heck of good point. The question being - are screw on cap
better than push of caps to keep pen from drying out?
The other question is - are all higher end pens, says $500
and up screw on caps?
Thanks for setting my sights - brain and hands don't always
end up on the same page.

Don
Old November 16th 07, 01:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Adam Funk[_2_]

On 2007-11-16, Aaron W Hsu wrote:

I would be inclined to say that most push-on pens are either slightly
cheaper or they do not have as good a seal as the screw on caps, and
hence, dry out faster. On the other hand, writing consistently, I
don't know about. I have a Waterman that has a VERY loose cap, which
can even just fall off at time. It writes consistently, though it does
suffer from the dry out. I just have to wet it a bit before beginning
and it works just fine. This as opposed to my MB which writes
consistently and doesn't dry out very quickly at all.

I have a Waterman with a loose cap, which I've had since 1990, and
it's very dependable and never gets stuck, even though I don't use it
very often (since I can't carry it around because of the cap). I
don't think it was particularly expensive, although it wasn't from the
bottom of their range.

--
"Bob just used 'canonical' in the canonical way." [Guy Steele]
Old November 17th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jeff Miars

Don wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:56:54 -0600, "Bluesea"
wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
. ..

It seems like my pens with a screw on cap dry out less and also
write more consistent than the push on cap pens. The reverse
side of this is my sccrew on pens are either Pelikan, Sailor, etc;
which I paid more for.

Don

What is your question?

Heck of good point. The question being - are screw on cap
better than push of caps to keep pen from drying out?
The other question is - are all higher end pens, says $500
and up screw on caps?
Thanks for setting my sights - brain and hands don't always
end up on the same page.

Don

Not all $500 pens have screw on caps; the Edson being one of them. As
mentioned in a previous post, it seems to work pretty well without
drying out.

I do have to say it dries out quicker than a Hero 329 after being left
alone for a couple of weeks.

Jeff
Old November 18th 07, 04:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_2_]

"Don" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:56:54 -0600, "Bluesea"
wrote:

"Don" wrote in message
.. .
It seems like my pens with a screw on cap dry out less and also
write more consistent than the push on cap pens. The reverse
side of this is my sccrew on pens are either Pelikan, Sailor, etc;
which I paid more for.

Don

What is your question?

Heck of good point. The question being - are screw on cap
better than push of caps to keep pen from drying out?

In my experience, yes, in general. I think it's because the threads provide
a closer fit. However, I have a Sailor from which all the ink evaporated
which didn't happen to my other pens.

As far as writing more consistently, I haven't noticed any difference of
that sort between my pens of different caps, just manufacturers and nibs.

The other question is - are all higher end pens, says $500
and up screw on caps?

All - since I don't know all the fps, I can't say.

Thanks for setting my sights - brain and hands don't always
end up on the same page.

Yes, the brain is faster than fingers (and mouth) and sometimes, the latter
can't keep up with the former which makes things intriguing for those of us
who aren't mind-readers and are reluctant to assume.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old November 21st 07, 07:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Norman M. Schwartz

"Don" wrote in message
It seems like my pens with a screw on cap dry out less and also
write more consistent than the push on cap pens. The reverse
side of this is my sccrew on pens are either Pelikan, Sailor, etc;
which I paid more for.

Your post got me to testing 2 Rotring Cores and 2 Aurora Ipsilons, all four
though not recently used functioned perfectly.
(BTW anyone interested in a Core can get it for $10 at a clearance
Swisher.com, for certain not a style to everyone's taste, but not many FPs
can be found which are less expensive.)
Norman

Don

GB Question Blair (TC) General Discussion 13 October 17th 06 07:21 PM
Question Terry Kangas General 0 October 12th 06 02:06 PM
Question Please....... Carol L Coins 24 September 19th 05 10:28 PM
Order a Pair and they will change you and who knows what might happen maybe something that should have happened years ago dont question it just do it and then question it because nothing "happens" or "changes" until "we do something" David Goldstein Hockey 0 February 24th 05 02:14 PM
Question regarding eBay Ask Seller a Question James Higby Coins 4 November 21st 04 12:02 AM