1970-D Licoln Cent Possible Error

Old April 11th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default 1970-D Licoln Cent Possible Error

I found a 1970-D Lincoln Cent in change this morning and something
about it made me study it for a while. I kept looking at the mint mark
to make sure it was a "D" and not an "S" and then I saw what caught my
eye in the first place; part of Abe's bowtie and shirt are missing.
The right side of his bowtie is completely gone, while the outer right
line of his shir from his bowtie to the edge of the coin is gone,
except for a small triangle-shape at the edge. I looked to see if it
was just worn away, but there are no signs of it having ever been
there. Has anyone here ever seen this, or have any info on this? I'm
sure it has no significant value, it's just fun finding something like
this in circulation.

Steve
Old April 11th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_4_]

wrote in message
I found a 1970-D Lincoln Cent in change this morning and something
about it made me study it for a while. I kept looking at the mint mark
to make sure it was a "D" and not an "S" and then I saw what caught my
eye in the first place; part of Abe's bowtie and shirt are missing.
The right side of his bowtie is completely gone, while the outer right
line of his shir from his bowtie to the edge of the coin is gone,
except for a small triangle-shape at the edge. I looked to see if it
was just worn away, but there are no signs of it having ever been
there. Has anyone here ever seen this, or have any info on this? I'm
sure it has no significant value, it's just fun finding something like
this in circulation.

Sounds like a "filled die" error.
Grease and other gunk from the coining press gets into the die and
causes exactly the effect you are describing.

Old April 11th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 11, 5:32�pm, "Bob F." wrote:
wrote in message

I found a 1970-D Lincoln Cent in change this morning and something
about it made me study it for a while. I kept looking at the mint mark
to make sure it was a "D" and not an "S" and then I saw what caught my
eye in the first place; part of Abe's bowtie and shirt are missing.
The right side of his bowtie is completely gone, while the outer right
line of his shir from his bowtie to the edge of the coin is gone,
except for a small triangle-shape at the edge. I looked to see if it
was just worn away, but there are no signs of it having ever been
there. Has anyone here ever seen this, or have any info on this? I'm
sure it has no significant value, it's just fun finding something like
this in circulation.

Sounds like a "filled die" error.
Grease and other gunk from the coining press gets into the die and
causes exactly the effect you are describing.

hey Bob, thanks for the info. I have other varieties of filled dies on
other Lincolns, but none this severe. I have found a few cuds, a few
'98 & '00 TyII's, and a few other minor errors(on quarters, dimes &
nickels). It's fun looking at pocket change and finding different
things like that. Again, thanks for the info.

Steve
Old April 12th 09, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_4_]

wrote in message
I have found a few cuds, a few '98 & '00 TyII's, and a few other minor
errors(on quarters, dimes & nickels). It's fun looking at pocket change
and finding different things like that. Again, thanks for the info.

Finding cuds in circulation is a very good find - keep looking!

Old April 12th 09, 06:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:36:10 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 11, 5:32�pm, "Bob F." wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

There's one other possibility--if there was a die clash, they may
have ground down the obverse die to remove the clash marks, and ground
it to the point that some of the detail is missing (the same thing
that caused the "3-legged" Buffalo). I've got a 1973 cent that has
the same appearance you mention. While a filled die is a possibility,
I'd lean toward the "overground" die. The shallowest part of the
design is what would be missing, and that's exactly the part that's
gone on your coin.

take care,
Scott

Old April 12th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_4_]

On Apr 11, 5:32�pm, "Bob F." wrote:

[...]

A filled die would be far more likely than an "overground" one.

Old April 12th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 11, 5:25*pm, " wrote:
I found a 1970-D Lincoln Cent in change this morning and something
about it made me study it for a while. I kept looking at the mint mark
to make sure it was a "D" and not an "S" and then I saw what caught my
eye in the first place; part of Abe's bowtie and shirt are missing.
The right side of his bowtie is completely gone, while the outer right
line of his shir from his bowtie to the edge of the coin is gone,
except for a small triangle-shape at the edge. I looked to see if it
was just worn away, but there are no signs of it having ever been
there. Has anyone here ever seen this, or have any info on this? I'm
sure it has no significant value, it's just fun finding something like
this in circulation.

Steve

Hubby and I found a coin the size of a dime with the edges smooth
and a silver color. The impression and color is that of a Lincoln
cent, both sides.
Error or an attempt by a cheater?

Doris

Old April 12th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_4_]

wrote in message
Hubby and I found a coin the size of a dime with the edges smooth
and a silver color. The impression and color is that of a Lincoln
cent, both sides.
Error or an attempt by a cheater?

I'm confused. You say in one sentence it is silver colored and in the
next it is the color of a Lincoln cent (copper).
So which is it?

Old April 18th 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 12, 10:00*am, "Bob F." wrote:
wrote in message

* *Hubby and I found a coin the size of a dime with the edges smooth
and a silver color. The impression and color is that of a Lincoln
cent, both sides.
* *Error or an attempt by a cheater?

I'm confused. You say in one sentence it is silver colored and in the
next it is the color of a Lincoln cent (copper).
So which is it?

The edges are silver color, the body is copper color.
Old April 18th 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_4_]

wrote in message
On Apr 12, 10:00 am, "Bob F." wrote:
wrote in message

Hubby and I found a coin the size of a dime with the edges smooth
and a silver color. The impression and color is that of a Lincoln
cent, both sides.
Error or an attempt by a cheater?

I'm confused. You say in one sentence it is silver colored and in the
next it is the color of a Lincoln cent (copper).
So which is it?

The edges are silver color, the body is copper color.

Then it is a current-compostition Lincoln cent (copper plated zinc) with
then edges filed off.

Error Indian Cent Harvey Bastacky Coins 2 February 20th 08 07:09 PM
used 32 cent Nixon error [email protected] General Discussion 3 December 5th 05 11:38 PM
Wheat cent error question Dave Hinz Coins 1 October 24th 05 02:12 AM
1970 Lincoln Error jw_levelland Coins 4 December 18th 04 09:04 PM
1970-D Penny error? Crow T Robot Coins 4 January 26th 04 04:27 PM