Why is the market for NCLTC so small?

Old May 19th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Default Why is the market for NCLTC so small?

"Andy" wrote in message
I'd agree that overissue would be one of the major factors, just have to
look what proportion of the Standard World Catalog a tiny 'country' like
Isle of Man takes up with NCLT. Yes, my country (Australia) should take
much of the blame too, apparantly there is a big shift away from stamp
collecting as well because the mint? (don't know who issues stamps) got
too greedy and overissued.

Many stamp collectors in the UK gave up collecting modern issues due to far
too many commemorative stamps being issued. Billy

Old May 19th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"oly" wrote in message
On May 19, 4:52 am, (Christian Feldhaus)
wrote:
Andy wrote:
They don't have the same historical value because they don't have as
much an
impact in peoples lives.

Agreed. Coins that are "issued" but only make it into some people's
collections, not into circulation, I do not find that appealing either.
Admittedly I make exceptions, especially when the theme of a NCLT coin
has a special meaning for me or the design is particularly appealing ...

My opinion anyway, although I collect some NCLT in the form of Westfalen
(German Province) Notgeld 1921-1923, they really sum up what went on in
that
period of history, especially the 1 billion mark coin.

Well, those did not circulate and were not legal tender, thus NCNLT.
The "1 Billion" coin (one trillion in English) was issued some time
after the end of the hyperinflation, and sold to collectors.

Christian

NCLT??? The issuing mints could not resist to "kill the goose that
laid the golden egg" by overissue, too frequent issue, and from
trivial subjects (like a drug addict movie starlet).

Things that should have been subjects for commemorative medals got a
denomination slapped on their backs and were then sold as coins.

Nealy all NCLT designs are abysmal to match the pathetic themes.

The NCLT buyers bought not for numismatic reasons, but for speculative
reasons - to resell at a profit - and as always, there came a point
when the speculative bubble could not hope to attract enough money to
keep the schemes going. "No tree grows to the sky; every bubble must
burst".

One cannot discount the greying (and deaths) of members of the middle
class numismatic community in the U.S.A.; and stagnant real incomes in
America since probably the Nixon era- the 1970s.

Add in that almost nobody teaches history in America and that 9/10ths
of Americans are historically illiterate - and there you have it!!!

-------------------------------------

As recently as eight years ago there was a teacher in the school where I
taught who taught history as a subset of the target subject matter. He
retired in 2001, some say fortunately, others say unfortunately.

James the Leisured

Old May 19th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:

Andy wrote:
[...]

James the Leisured- Hide quoted text -

A wink is as good as a nudge to a blind bat. Say no more!

oly

Old May 20th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Coffee's For Closers

In article 372c57db-2fca-4534-ae57-
,
says...
I personally like "Coin of the Realm" and "Non-Circulating Legal
Tender Coinage" because of its commemorative value, aesthetic beauty,
craftsmanship, and often elegant presentation. Why then is this not
enough to create a larger market for these coins? These coins come in
all shapes, sizes, metals, and finishes. Many have exquisite
application of color. Some are even sponsored by iconic names like
Charlie Chaplin, John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe.

Part of the problem is that the issuing entities often churn out
a large variety of these things. Including on some very obscure
themes.

Also, the quantities may be relatively high, in relation to the
demand. Thus speculators don't have so much interest in hoping
for such an item to become relatively rare (with a rising price.)

Some of them are kind of expensive (when new from the issuer),
which is a turn-off, unless you are really really interested in
the theme.

There is also a sort of tackiness sometimes, where I suspect that
the issuers are just trying to milk revenue from completist
collectors. If I could count on you to buy one each of every
single coin I issue, then I might start cranking out some pretty
cheesy stuff, while slacking on the effort, and charging high
prices.

Although I guess there is the good angle of inspiring wild stuff
like the Samoli motorcycle pieces, and that Mongolian
talking-Kennedy coin.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old May 20th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
TheDimeMan[_2_]

I'm one of the few collectors of NCLT dime size silver coins.

See my E-Book Appendix A with the following link

www.dewardt.net/dimebook/NCLT%20Appendix%20A.pdf

TheDimeMan

Old May 20th 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roßert G. Schaffrath

wrote:
Andy wrote:
They don't have the same historical value because they don't have as much an
impact in peoples lives.

Agreed. Coins that are "issued" but only make it into some people's
collections, not into circulation, I do not find that appealing either.
Admittedly I make exceptions, especially when the theme of a NCLT coin
has a special meaning for me or the design is particularly appealing ...

I too have no interest in NCLTC. Both the U.S. Mint and Canada seem to
do nothing else but kick out new coins every months to honor some
obscure event. Plus, they are coins that will never be seen in
circulation and thus have no association with everyday use.

I prefer circulating coins in Proof or uncirculated state. They can
keep the NCLTC. Heck, they'll make more!
Old May 21st 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
TheDimeMan[_2_]

I'm one of the few collectors of NCLT coins for my collection.

See the chapter from my E-book on the subject.

www.dewardt.net/dimebook/NCLT_Appendix_a.pdf

TheDimeMan

P.S. The link in my earlier post did not work, so this one is ok.