Help to identify 1913 US five dollar piece

Old June 8th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Help to identify 1913 US five dollar piece

Any help to identify this coin would be appreciated. Hours of googling
have been fruitless although I have found similar coins. The silver
coin is 19.3 mm in diameter and1.35mm thick with milled edges. One side
shows an Indian head in profile (facing left) with 'LIBERTY' over the
head and 1913 under the head.

The other side shows an eagle in profile (facing left), 'UNITED STATES
OF AMERICA' around the top, 'FIVE DOLLAR' (NOT DOLLARS) at the bottom
with 'IN GOD WE TRUST' on the right of the eagle and what looks like (I
don't have a magnifying glass) 'E FLURISUS UNUM' on the left of the
eagle.

I am not a coin collector but have been going through my late Father's
estate and found this coin in an envelope on which he had written
'valuable'

Any Ideas out there?

Old June 8th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Geoff wrote:
Any help to identify this coin would be appreciated. Hours of googling
have been fruitless although I have found similar coins. The silver
coin is 19.3 mm in diameter and1.35mm thick with milled edges. One
side shows an Indian head in profile (facing left) with 'LIBERTY'
over the head and 1913 under the head.

The other side shows an eagle in profile (facing left), 'UNITED STATES
OF AMERICA' around the top, 'FIVE DOLLAR' (NOT DOLLARS) at the bottom
with 'IN GOD WE TRUST' on the right of the eagle and what looks like
(I don't have a magnifying glass) 'E FLURISUS UNUM' on the left of the
eagle.

I am not a coin collector but have been going through my late Father's
estate and found this coin in an envelope on which he had written
'valuable'

Any Ideas out there?

It sounds like you are describing a replica of a 5 dollar gold piece. The
authentic coin is made of 90% gold and is 21.6mm in diameter and weighs
8.359g. If it is, indeed, a silver replica it is not at all valuable and is
worth only bullion value. Of course, it may not be silver at all, but only
silver colored (i.e. copper/nickel or some other base metal) in which case
it would be worth even less. I have a "silver round" replica of the same
coin. It is one troy ounce of silver and considerably larger than 19.3mm.
I paid $8.00 for it awhile back. It is probably worth 11 or 12 now.

--
©¿©¬
~

Old June 8th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Geoff" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any help to identify this coin would be appreciated. Hours of googling
have been fruitless although I have found similar coins. The silver
coin is 19.3 mm in diameter and1.35mm thick with milled edges. One side
shows an Indian head in profile (facing left) with 'LIBERTY' over the
head and 1913 under the head.

The other side shows an eagle in profile (facing left), 'UNITED STATES
OF AMERICA' around the top, 'FIVE DOLLAR' (NOT DOLLARS) at the bottom
with 'IN GOD WE TRUST' on the right of the eagle and what looks like (I
don't have a magnifying glass) 'E FLURISUS UNUM' on the left of the
eagle.

I am not a coin collector but have been going through my late Father's
estate and found this coin in an envelope on which he had written
'valuable'

Any Ideas out there?

Judging by the title of your post, I'd say you have properly identified your
coin, and probably have misread some of the lettering, due to its unique,
incuse nature. Or, you could have a crude fake. But a picture would tell
for sure.

Mr. Jaggers

Old June 8th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Geoff" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Oops, disregard previous post. I missed the part about it being silver.

Mr. Jaggers

Old June 9th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

"Geoff" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Thanks for your help - it seems I will not be able to retire after all!

GOALIES @ 60% OFF US George Cronn Hockey 0 April 13th 04 08:29 PM
ATTENTION ANYONE WHO PARTICIPATES IN THE SIX DOLLAR LETTER Misty General 0 April 5th 04 12:23 AM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
GOALIES @ 75% US George Cronn Hockey 0 August 29th 03 10:02 PM
Yet another ANA report Ed. Stoebenau Coins 3 August 8th 03 01:34 AM