Another definitive conundrum -Venezuela

Old February 21st 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Default Another definitive conundrum -Venezuela

I have a 25c blue Waterlow printing Simon Bolivar ( 1914 issue )
postmarked 1916 - remainder of date off stamp.

According to my Gibbons South America ( old) this is perf 13,13.5.

Mine is definitely perf 14.25 - even with the rounded blunt perfs on
this stamp there is no way I can make it any less and I have measured
all 4 sides. It has good even margins all round so it is not I think
reperfed - unfortunately it is badly thinned.

Do any of you boffins have any explanation- or is it just sloppy
editing by SG.

Having just got a couple of uv lamps ( 1 s.w. and 1 l.w.), and
polished off my magnifying glass I am now going through my "odds and
sods" box with my collection of old SG parts.

Although all these stamps are minimum value "junk" it is surprising
what is coming to light.

South America is a much neglected area here in the UK so I am
expecting all sorts of tribulations!!

Thanks as ever in advance

Malcolm
Old February 22nd 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Feb 21, 7:41 am, malcolm wrote:
[...]

Malcolm:

Scott lists the 1914 issue as perf. 13.5 , 14, 15 which means
it exists in all three perfs.

Catalogue price for the 25c used is 75c (for all perfs).

Blair
Old February 22nd 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Thanks Blair - the more I go through this stuff the less enamoured I
am by SG. It only shows P 14 as the 1924 Waterlow redrawn designs of
the 1916 American Bank Note series. Mind you mine is the 1980 issue of
the catalogue !! Next time I visit the library I will check out the
latest edition for any updates.

As I said South and Central America has very few followers here, and
that could be the reason than the catalogues don't get updated /
corrected. However you would think that they could get it right in
66years from 1914 to 1980 !

Malcolm

On Feb 22, 1:09*am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
[...]

Blair- Hide quoted text -

Old February 22nd 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Feb 22, 2:02 am, malcolm wrote:
Thanks Blair - the more I go through this stuff the less enamoured I
am by SG. It only shows P 14 as the 1924 Waterlow redrawn designs of
the 1916 American Bank Note series. Mind you mine is the 1980 issue of
the catalogue !! Next time I visit the library I will check out the
latest edition for any updates.

As I said South and Central America has very few followers here, and
that could be the reason than the catalogues don't get updated /
corrected. However you would think that they could get it right in
66years from 1914 to 1980 !

Malcolm

The editors are only people and it is up to collectors to write to
the catalogues to correct errors. I myself have corrected errors
in Scott, SG, and the Zehiri IEgyptian) catalogues. Of course I
had to build a "case" and provide evidence.

The catalogues especially need our help in areas where
information (or interest) is scarce. Some of my corrections
fixed errors that had been in print for over 40 years.

Blair

2007 14-coin Proof sets.. a conundrum.. Harv Coins 3 August 10th 07 02:23 AM
Type set conundrum Dave Hinz Coins 14 January 9th 07 08:21 PM
What is definitive? hhandson General Discussion 3 September 2nd 03 07:45 PM