"funny face cancels"

Old June 12th 05, 01:42 AM
wolfb

Default "funny face cancels"

Why are these unwanted? A recent buy ad from a local dealer listed several
modern commems used to buy at $0.10 each, but stipulated no "funny face
cancels" wanted. I'd think they would bring a premium, especially if they
had all the faces and such on the stamp. What do you think?

Wolf-==-

Old June 12th 05, 05:52 AM
TC

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:42:05 -0500, "wolfb"
wrote:

Why are these unwanted? A recent buy ad from a local dealer listed several
modern commems used to buy at $0.10 each, but stipulated no "funny face
cancels" wanted. I'd think they would bring a premium, especially if they
had all the faces and such on the stamp. What do you think?

Wolf-==-

If they are like the funny face cancels that I have seen,
they leave a large blabk spot of a funny face on the stamp/cover.

I would prefer a nice CDS if I was paying 10c.

Blair (TC)

Old June 12th 05, 03:52 PM
wolfb

Yeah, mostly I was talking about the Shreck and Donkey and the Rodney and
Fender cancels being used around the country. I think they are cool and it
is challenging to get the full clear faces directly on the stamp. I have
been saving every good example I come across. I guess I haven't seen the
smudging you are talking about, although the faces mostly miss as direct
hits on the front of the stamp. Here is a link for the ad in case anyone
has any they want to get rid of as well as a scan of one of my examples.

http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/buyad.jpg
http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/sherck.jpg

Wolf-==-

Old June 13th 05, 02:46 AM
Rodney

Yikes!
you drink coffee at your stamp desk!

Old June 13th 05, 04:00 AM
wolfb

Nope, but I do at my computer desk. Two entirely different areas, although
sometimes the two do meet. Especially when scanning. I knew someone would
appreciate the coffee cup stains. Wanna see my stamp desk?

http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/stampdesk.jpg

http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/compdesk.jpg

Wolf-==-

Old June 13th 05, 01:25 PM
Rodney

I like the mood lighting, but the flavour is more of a room of Loooove
than philately
Personally, I like the clinically lit den, lots of flourescents.
(similar to Victor's IIRC)

.....and I don't spot the desk magnifier, how do you get up close and personal?

Tip: for a nickle and a dime, you can get a plastic shelf that will sit
atop the monitor, great place to store the wife's/girlfriend's pic, the alarm clock
Tim Tams, Oreos, footy calender etc.

Old June 13th 05, 01:30 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:25:21 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

I like the mood lighting, but the flavour is more of a room of Loooove
than philately
Personally, I like the clinically lit den, lots of flourescents.
(similar to Victor's IIRC)

....and I don't spot the desk magnifier, how do you get up close and personal?

Tip: for a nickle and a dime, you can get a plastic shelf that will sit
atop the monitor, great place to store the wife's/girlfriend's pic, the alarm clock
Tim Tams, Oreos, footy calender etc.

But - notice - he did have the obligatory bottle of headache medicine
close at hand.

| Nope, but I do at my computer desk. Two entirely different areas, although
| sometimes the two do meet. Especially when scanning. I knew someone would
| appreciate the coffee cup stains. Wanna see my stamp desk?
|
| http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/stampdesk.jpg
|
| http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/compdesk.jpg
|
| Wolf-==-
|

| "Rodney" wrote in message
| Yikes!
| you drink coffee at your stamp desk!
|

| | http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/buyad.jpg

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old June 13th 05, 10:15 PM
Rodney

| But - notice - he did have the obligatory bottle of headache medicine
| close at hand.

I couldn't read the bar-code It may be Wolf's Vitamin C.
I tell you what, I reckon the monitor is too close, not enough
workspace at keyboard.
C'mon Tracy, what about a snap of your den?

| | Nope, but I do at my computer desk. Two entirely different areas, although
| | sometimes the two do meet. Especially when scanning. I knew someone would
| | appreciate the coffee cup stains. Wanna see my stamp desk?
| |
| | http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/stampdesk.jpg
| |
| | http://www.southslope.net/~paradimes/compdesk.jpg
| |
| | Wolf-==-
| |
| |

Old June 14th 05, 02:02 AM
Ted Tyszka

Uh oh. Kill the fluorescents and stick with incandescent light. Fluorescent
lamps are high in UV which is anathema to stamp preservation, leading to
brittleness of paper and fading of colors.

Cheers,

Ted

Old June 14th 05, 02:20 AM
Rodney

Uh oh, I'll have to check,
I use the power saver globes, like a bunch of
spaghetti with a bayonet fitting.

"Ted Tyszka" wrote in message ...
| Uh oh. Kill the fluorescents and stick with incandescent light. Fluorescent
| lamps are high in UV which is anathema to stamp preservation, leading to
| brittleness of paper and fading of colors.
|
| Cheers,
|
| Ted

funny joke about coins [email protected] Coins 5 December 20th 04 01:02 AM
! Cards 50-90% off Joe Carrus Baseball 0 November 30th 04 12:09 PM
197 update 02/18 15 hrs left VernsCards Baseball 0 February 18th 04 12:13 PM
auction 197 initial post VernsCards Baseball 0 February 12th 04 03:59 AM
FS: Upper Deck "SPANISH" 1992/93 ufg Basketball 0 August 8th 03 07:43 AM