How long until the Dime and Half fall victim?

Old October 5th 04, 07:31 PM
RAV

Default How long until the Dime and Half fall victim?

On 05 Oct 2004 18:10:06 GMT, (Malanutt 4 Life)
wrote:

Now that the nickel, quarter, and dollar coin were redesigned, and there are
bills for a redesign of the of the cent in 2009, and dollar coin yet again in
2006, how long until someone thinks we need a new dime and half dollar? (Well
there was that Reagan dime idea) But the half might look neat if they change
the design since they are so big and can have more detail added to a new
design. I wonder if they would circulate *very* slightly more with a new
design.

Tom

I had thought that the state quarters were actually circulating
commems, and that the quarter would revert to the pre-SQ reverse once
the program ended. No?
Old October 5th 04, 08:54 PM
Bob Flaminio

Malanutt 4 Life wrote:
But the
half might look neat if they change the design since they are so big
and can have more detail added to a new design. I wonder if they
would circulate *very* slightly more with a new design.

My plan for coinage redesign calls for the discontinuation of the
Kennedy half, to be replaced by a circulating commemorative half whose
design changes every year. We already make clad commemorative halves
(most recently, the 2003 First Flight half) -- rather than sell them
directly from the mint, make a bunch and release them to circulation.
Sure, they won't circulate *much* -- but then, neither does the JFK
half.

--
Bob

Old October 7th 04, 08:17 PM
AK47

My plan for coinage redesign calls for the discontinuation of the
Kennedy half, to be replaced by a circulating commemorative half whose
design changes every year. We already make clad commemorative halves
(most recently, the 2003 First Flight half) -- rather than sell them
directly from the mint, make a bunch and release them to circulation.
Sure, they won't circulate *much* -- but then, neither does the JFK
half.

Somewhat off topic, but does anyone have any idea why the half dollar
circulates so little today.

35 or 40 years ago, this was a common circulating piece.

--
To e-mail me get rid of the cats and dogs.
Old October 7th 04, 08:22 PM
JSTONE9352

We already make clad commemorative halves
(most recently, the 2003 First Flight half) -- rather than sell them
directly from the mint, make a bunch and release them to circulation.
Sure, they won't circulate *much* -- but then, neither does the JFK
half.

Then why bother doing it?

Somewhat off topic, but does anyone have any idea why the half dollar
circulates so little today.

35 or 40 years ago, this was a common circulating piece.

It was a common circulating piece
circa 1964-69?

I think you need to go back further
than that for when it was a
common circulating piece.
Old October 7th 04, 08:27 PM
Michael G. Koerner

JSTONE9352 wrote:

We already make clad commemorative halves
(most recently, the 2003 First Flight half) -- rather than sell them
directly from the mint, make a bunch and release them to circulation.
Sure, they won't circulate *much* -- but then, neither does the JFK
half.

Then why bother doing it?

Somewhat off topic, but does anyone have any idea why the half dollar
circulates so little today.

35 or 40 years ago, this was a common circulating piece.

It was a common circulating piece
circa 1964-69?

I think you need to go back further
than that for when it was a
common circulating piece.

Halves was common items (about equal in use to quarters) until the
USMint screwed up by not making them 'cupro-nickel clad' like dimes and
quarters were in 1965.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old October 7th 04, 08:48 PM
Fred Shecter

As I've posted at least 35 times in the past:

The half dollar does not work in vending machines.

-Fred Shecter
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopage...sortpropertyZ1

Old October 7th 04, 09:06 PM
Phil DeMayo

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote:

Halves was common items (about equal in use to quarters) until the
USMint screwed up by not making them 'cupro-nickel clad' like dimes and
quarters were in 1965.

I don't think that was the main reason and I don't believe a lot of people
realized that the half still had silver in it until 1970. They'd look at the
edge, see the copper sandwich and assume they were copper-nickel clad.

Although they did circulate somewhat throughout the 60s to a limited extent, I
can think of a few reasons (listed in order of importance):

a. the Kennedy mystique....people hoarded them
b. couldn't use them in the majority of vending machines
c. the size...although not a problem in the past
d. some people knew they contained some silver through 1970 and hoarded them
e. some people though tthey contained silver even after 1970 and hoarded them

A few weeks ago I received a Kennedy half in change for the first time in about
10 years. I did my civic duty and immediately put it back in circulation.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old October 7th 04, 09:22 PM
Cliff

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:48:21 GMT, "Fred Shecter"
wrote:

As I've posted at least 35 times in the past:

The half dollar does not work in vending machines.

-Fred Shecter
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopage...sortpropertyZ1

When I was much younger (very early 60s) the vending machines in
service station bathrooms often took the half dollar. I believe it
was 3 for 50 cents where I usually shopped.
Cliff

Old October 7th 04, 10:31 PM
Gary Loveless

wrote:

As I've posted at least 35 times in the past:

The half dollar does not work in vending machines.

-Fred Shecter
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopage...sortpropertyZ1

When I was much younger (very early 60s) the vending machines in
service station bathrooms often took the half dollar. I believe it
was 3 for 50 cents where I usually shopped.
Cliff

And just what were you buying there Cliffy??

Gary

'Tickle the French.........errrrrrrr.......something.......... ..'

Old October 7th 04, 11:28 PM
Cliff

wrote:

As I've posted at least 35 times in the past:

The half dollar does not work in vending machines.

-Fred Shecter
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopage...sortpropertyZ1

When I was much younger (very early 60s) the vending machines in
service station bathrooms often took the half dollar. I believe it
was 3 for 50 cents where I usually shopped.
Cliff

And just what were you buying there Cliffy??

Gary

'Tickle the French.........errrrrrrr.......something.......... ..'

I always had to stop there to gas up the car and pick up some stuff
before heading off with my date to the drive-in. The sad thing is I
can't remember what I was buying but I know a lot of Franklin Halves
went into those machines.
Cliff

Long Beach Expo, June 3 - 5 Halfsense Coins 0 May 28th 04 05:49 AM
FA USA 1795 Half Dime Flowing Hair No Reserve $1 start michael @ worldwidecoins Coins 3 October 7th 03 07:42 AM
FA: Cruddy V Nickels and 1874 proof half dime that ain't Fred A. Murphy Coins 0 September 8th 03 11:11 PM
Bust Half Dime Help James Higby Coins 5 September 5th 03 06:08 PM
Yet another ANA report Ed. Stoebenau Coins 3 August 8th 03 01:34 AM