A Conundrum

Old October 10th 14, 05:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default A Conundrum

I bought a book today, John LeCarre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I
is in the original format that Knopf published in the USA when it came
out. The problem is that it is sealed in plastic, never opened. It is
the same size [5 7/8 x 8 1/2] as both BCEs and regular printings (I
compared it). It has a bright red top stain (it has never seen the sun)
and rough cut fore edges. No blemishes to the dust jacket, which has
the photo of LeCarre on the reverse. But without opening the plastic
wrapping, I cannot determine the printing. Yet, if I open it and it is
a first printing, I will have wished I had not opened it.

Any ideas?

Francis A. Miniter
Old October 12th 14, 06:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
The Critic

On 10/10/2014 12:13 AM, Francis A. Miniter wrote:
I bought a book today, John LeCarre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I
is in the original format that Knopf published in the USA when it came
out. The problem is that it is sealed in plastic, never opened. It is
the same size [5 7/8 x 8 1/2] as both BCEs and regular printings (I
compared it). It has a bright red top stain (it has never seen the sun)
and rough cut fore edges. No blemishes to the dust jacket, which has
the photo of LeCarre on the reverse. But without opening the plastic
wrapping, I cannot determine the printing. Yet, if I open it and it is
a first printing, I will have wished I had not opened it.

Any ideas?

Francis A. Miniter

Why don't you stick it up your ass?
There, problem solved.
Old October 13th 14, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

My similar conundrum, which I think I posted a while back, concerns the novel "S", which comes sealed in plastic to protect the various items inserted into the book. There is no way the purchaser can determine if the book is a first--and it has gone into several printings--before buying it.
Old October 16th 14, 04:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
HardyBoys.us[_10_]

On 10/10/2014 12:13 AM, Francis A. Miniter wrote:
I bought a book today, John LeCarre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I
is in the original format that Knopf published in the USA when it came
out. The problem is that it is sealed in plastic, never opened. It is
the same size [5 7/8 x 8 1/2] as both BCEs and regular printings (I
compared it). It has a bright red top stain (it has never seen the sun)
and rough cut fore edges. No blemishes to the dust jacket, which has
the photo of LeCarre on the reverse. But without opening the plastic
wrapping, I cannot determine the printing. Yet, if I open it and it is
a first printing, I will have wished I had not opened it.

Any ideas?

Francis A. Miniter

I don't know but it would be odd for a BCE to be wrapped in plastic, no?
Old October 17th 14, 12:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:03:44 AM UTC-4, HardyBoys.us wrote:

I don't know but it would be odd for a BCE to be wrapped in plastic, no?

Now that you mention it, that *is* odd. Even the books I get from the specialty houses (Crippen & Landru, Subterranean) don't generally come in plastic IIRC.

Old October 28th 14, 07:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 10/16/2014 11:03 AM, HardyBoys.us wrote:
On 10/10/2014 12:13 AM, Francis A. Miniter wrote:
I bought a book today, John LeCarre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I
is in the original format that Knopf published in the USA when it came
out. The problem is that it is sealed in plastic, never opened. It is
the same size [5 7/8 x 8 1/2] as both BCEs and regular printings (I
compared it). It has a bright red top stain (it has never seen the sun)
and rough cut fore edges. No blemishes to the dust jacket, which has
the photo of LeCarre on the reverse. But without opening the plastic
wrapping, I cannot determine the printing. Yet, if I open it and it is
a first printing, I will have wished I had not opened it.

Any ideas?

Francis A. Miniter

I don't know but it would be odd for a BCE to be wrapped in plastic, no?

True. That is a good point.

Francis A. Miniter