Pelikan pens: quality & nib size (Technixx & Souveran 400, 600)

Old September 15th 04, 05:33 AM
Txiasaeia

Default Pelikan pens: quality & nib size (Technixx & Souveran 400, 600)

Two and a half years ago, I made my first foray into the world of
fountain pens, buying a Pelikan Technixx with a medium nib. I was
happy at first, but now the paint is flaking off and there are serious
problems with ink flow, as in sometimes it doesn't at all. I clean
the nib every two cartriges with warm water but it doesn't seem to
have made any difference. The other problem I have with the pen is
that the medium nib is *huge* - I have very small handwriting, and I
can't seem to make an "e" with a space in it with the pen.

Now, build quality notwithstanding, I'd like to move up to something a
little pricier, but I'm a bit hesitant. I've been thinking about
either a Souveran 400 or 600, depending on how they feel (there are no
pen shops where I live, but I'll be heading to Calgary next month
where hopefully I can test drive both of these pens), but I want to
make sure that there aren't going to be any huge problems with either
the quality of the nib or the shaft.

Finally, the question of size: is there really a difference between F
and M? I've been looking at a few comparisons on the net between the
two sizes and quite frankly I can't tell the difference. Should I
think about getting an EF or stick to an F? My problem is that my
retailer of choice won't have an EF unless they special order it, so
I'm not sure i'll be able to try it out before I buy. I wish I could
have done so with my Technixx. Anyway, thanks very much!
Old September 15th 04, 07:01 AM
Free Citizen

The difference between the 400 and the 600 is the size. You won't experience
the same problem on a Souveran nib as you did with the Technixx. All
Souveran nibs are solid gold.
--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

om...

Old September 15th 04, 07:45 AM
Dave

In article ,
(Txiasaeia) wrote:

Two and a half years ago, I made my first foray into the world of
fountain pens, buying a Pelikan Technixx with a medium nib. I was
happy at first, but now the paint is flaking off and there are serious
problems with ink flow, as in sometimes it doesn't at all. I clean
the nib every two cartriges with warm water but it doesn't seem to
have made any difference. The other problem I have with the pen is
that the medium nib is *huge* - I have very small handwriting, and I
can't seem to make an "e" with a space in it with the pen.

Not a surprise, unfortunately - the general consensus is that most
Pelikan nibs are larger than their marked size would indicate.

Now, build quality notwithstanding, I'd like to move up to something a
little pricier, but I'm a bit hesitant. I've been thinking about
either a Souveran 400 or 600, depending on how they feel (there are no
pen shops where I live, but I'll be heading to Calgary next month
where hopefully I can test drive both of these pens), but I want to
make sure that there aren't going to be any huge problems with either
the quality of the nib or the shaft.

Those are known to be good pens, and are built very similar to each
other - there shouldn't be much to choose between them in terms of
quality, just the size of the pen in your hand and the price difference.
People who have had to send them in for repairs have generally been
satisfied with the company's service as well.

Finally, the question of size: is there really a difference between F
and M? I've been looking at a few comparisons on the net between the
two sizes and quite frankly I can't tell the difference. Should I
think about getting an EF or stick to an F? My problem is that my
retailer of choice won't have an EF unless they special order it, so
I'm not sure i'll be able to try it out before I buy. I wish I could
have done so with my Technixx. Anyway, thanks very much!

Pictures on the web can be a bit misleading. There is certainly a
difference between fine and medium, but there is a little bit of
variability as well - all nibs of one size designation are not precisely
the same measurement, because of the way they're made.
Some people use this rule of thumb: whatever nib size you usually like,
ask for one size smaller if you buy a Pelikan. If you've been wanting a
real medium all along, try their fine, etc. etc.
I don't know who would want a broad-size Pelikan - it must be like
ladling ink onto the page with a soup spoon.

Oh - another possibility in your pen hunt is to consider buying one from
Richard Binder, who tests and fine-tunes the pens before he sells them
so they work just right. I'm not affiliated with his business - just a
(future) customer.

David
Old September 15th 04, 05:42 PM
KCat

"Txiasaeia" wrote in message
om...
Two and a half years ago, I made my first foray into the world of
fountain pens, buying a Pelikan Technixx with a medium nib. I was
happy at first, but now the paint is flaking off and there are serious
problems with ink flow, as in sometimes it doesn't at all. I clean
the nib every two cartriges with warm water but it doesn't seem to
have made any difference. The other problem I have with the pen is
that the medium nib is *huge* - I have very small handwriting, and I
can't seem to make an "e" with a space in it with the pen.

others have already expressed their thoughts about the Souveran range. IMO,
the 200s, 400s and up are all excellent pens.

the clogged nib above. What ink have you been using? Some inks are
more problematic than others so I'm just curious.

I don't know the Technixx in terms of how it is assembled but a fairly safe
way of working the clogs out of most pens is to soak the nib in a mild
ammonia/water solution. The standard I've seen is 1 tsp to 2/3 cup. You
can go stronger with some materials. You can use a bulb syringe such as
that sold in pharmacies with ear cleaning kits or baby care products to
force the solution through the section, feed and nib. You might have more
success with this than with plain water.

I'm not sure about flaking paint though. Is this paint on the pen barrel?
Anyway...it sounds like you've got a serious clogging problem. If the pen
is not of great value to you then I wouldn't bother with having it fixed.
If you'd really like it up and running again, it might need to be cleaned by
an expert or sent to Chartpak for repair. Chartpak folks are great and their
response time is excellent. Pelikan Germany's response time is less so.

good luck with your purchase. I'd go with an EF - especially in a gold nib
as *in my experience* Pel gold nibs run slightly larger than Pel steel.

kcat

Old September 15th 04, 05:59 PM
Dave

Fred wrote:

I am a satisfied customer of Mr. Binder, but the last time I looked,
he only sold 150s and a limited edition 200.

My mistake - those aren't what the original poster was looking for.
Thanks for the correction.

David
Old September 15th 04, 09:10 PM
Garglemonster

On 14 Sep 2004 21:33:00 -0700, (Txiasaeia)
said:

Txiasaeia Two and a half years ago, I made my first foray into
Txiasaeia the world of fountain pens, buying a Pelikan Technixx
Txiasaeia with a medium nib. I was happy at first, but now the
Txiasaeia paint is flaking off and there are serious problems
Txiasaeia with ink flow, as in sometimes it doesn't at all. I
Txiasaeia clean the nib every two cartriges with warm water but
Txiasaeia it doesn't seem to have made any difference. The other
Txiasaeia problem I have with the pen is that the medium nib is
Txiasaeia *huge* - I have very small handwriting, and I can't
Txiasaeia seem to make an "e" with a space in it with the pen.

you could have crud between the nib and the feed. this happens often
when you only use cartridges. (sucking up ink through the feed helps
prevent the buildup, but that never happens if you use cartridges.)
if you have a converter, suck up and expel cold tap water until the
expelled water is clear. barring that i guess you could just stick it
under the cold tap and rotate it 180.AN0 from time to time so the water
flows both ways through the nib & feed. again, do it until the water
runs clear.

Txiasaeia Now, build quality notwithstanding, I'd like to move up
Txiasaeia to something a little pricier, but I'm a bit hesitant.
Txiasaeia I've been thinking about either a Souveran 400 or 600,
Txiasaeia depending on how they feel (there are no pen shops
Txiasaeia where I live, but I'll be heading to Calgary next month
Txiasaeia where hopefully I can test drive both of these pens),
Txiasaeia but I want to make sure that there aren't going to be
Txiasaeia any huge problems with either the quality of the nib or
Txiasaeia the shaft.

i don't think there is much of a difference between the 400 & 600. it
comes down to which feels better -- and price (the 400 is cheaper).
the same nibs fit both, and both hold the same amount of ink.

Txiasaeia Finally, the question of size: is there really a
Txiasaeia difference between F and M?

yes.

Txiasaeia Should I think Txiasaeia about getting an EF or stick
Txiasaeia to an F?

if your handwriting is very tiny, you'd probably like the EF better.
But try an F. if that's good enough, it's good enough. all things
considered, i think it's safer to go with the widest nib you can get
away with.

--

Or maybe you'd rather just do acid and listen to Led Zeppelin.
Old September 16th 04, 04:40 AM
Txiasaeia

"KCat" wrote in message .com...

others have already expressed their thoughts about the Souveran range. IMO,
the 200s, 400s and up are all excellent pens.

the clogged nib above. What ink have you been using? Some inks are
more problematic than others so I'm just curious.

I'm using Pelikan black cartridges (int'l long)

I don't know the Technixx in terms of how it is assembled but a fairly safe
way of working the clogs out of most pens is to soak the nib in a mild
ammonia/water solution. The standard I've seen is 1 tsp to 2/3 cup. You
can go stronger with some materials. You can use a bulb syringe such as
that sold in pharmacies with ear cleaning kits or baby care products to
force the solution through the section, feed and nib. You might have more
success with this than with plain water.

It's always been like this - not this bad, but it never starts ink
flow right away. Extremely frustrating. I'll try it, though.

I'm not sure about flaking paint though. Is this paint on the pen barrel?

Paint on the cap, and the finish from the grip. The entire pen is
made out of metal.

Anyway...it sounds like you've got a serious clogging problem. If the pen
is not of great value to you then I wouldn't bother with having it fixed.
If you'd really like it up and running again, it might need to be cleaned by
an expert or sent to Chartpak for repair. Chartpak folks are great and their
response time is excellent. Pelikan Germany's response time is less so.

good luck with your purchase. I'd go with an EF - especially in a gold nib
as *in my experience* Pel gold nibs run slightly larger than Pel steel.

kcat

Thanks very much for the advice!
Old September 16th 04, 07:23 AM
Dave

Garglemonster wrote:

The PILLSBURY DOUGHBOY is CRYING for an END to BURT REYNOLDS movies!!

This has given me an idea! Pillsbury DoughCharacters (tm)!

Starting with, of course, Burnt Reynolds.

We could continue with Peter Cooked, George Burns, Bun Affleck,
Elizabeth Barrett Browning Nicely, Homer Simpson (Dough!), and F. Murray
Abraham.

David
Old September 16th 04, 04:03 PM
morten

I've been thinking about
either a Souveran 400 or 600, depending on how they feel (there are no
pen shops where I live, but I'll be heading to Calgary next month
where hopefully I can test drive both of these pens)

The best shop in Calgary to check out pens is Reid's on 17th Avenue
SW. But they haven't been stocking a lot of Pelikans lately, so you
may want to call them before you go.