Waterman Kultur Phileas?

Old September 20th 04, 03:59 AM
Jack Harrell

Default Waterman Kultur Phileas?

What's the difference between a Kultur Phileas and a regular Phileas?

Old September 20th 04, 05:21 AM
Dave

Jack Harrell wrote:

What's the difference between a Kultur Phileas and a regular Phileas?

I believe it's marketed as Kultur in some countries and Phileas in other
countries, but it's the same pen.

(somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

David
Old September 20th 04, 10:35 AM
Stephen Hust

"Jack Harrell" wrote:

What's the difference between a Kultur Phileas and a regular
Phileas?

This isn't official.

According to Sanford, the Phileas has a "23k gold electroplated
engraved nib" and the "nib is two toned with stainless steel and
23.3k gold" (see the link at the end of this post).

As far as I know, the Phileas is always marbled, and it has a
little gold-colored ornament or bit of trim near the end of the
barrel next to the blind cap, as well as a gold-colored ring
between the end of the clip and the lip of the cap, which the
Kulturs I own and have seen don't. The Phileas also costs more
than the Kultur.

Here's a picture of a Phileas:

http://www.alexanderstephens.com/watphilfounp.html

There are Kulturs in solid colors, as opposed to marbled, with
monotone gold-colored (plated?) nibs and trim, and there are
transparent and translucent Kulturs with plain steel nibs and
clips and no blind cap. A store here in Vienna used to carry the
transparent Kulturs for about 10 euros apiece. I haven't seen
either a Kultur or a Phileas in a store here for a long time,
though.

Here are some small pictures of solid-colored Kulturs (I don't
know why the author refers to the Kultur as the European
counterpart of the Phileas, since Phileases are, or at least were,
available in Europe):

http://barrykiel.tripod.com/id34.html

Here are some translucent Kulturs:

http://desktoppin.com/pen/waterman/kultur.htm

In this picture, there is one Phileas, at the very top (note the
greater amount of gold-colored trim). The rest appear to be
Kulturs:

http://ink-pen.com/images/fp02170.jpg

Here's the link to Sandfords description of the Phileas:

http://www.sanfordcorp.com/sanford/consumer/jhtml/new-product/productdetail.jhtml?attributeId=SNATT20054&nrProdu ctId=SN19702WA

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old September 20th 04, 05:07 PM
KCat

"Jack Harrell" wrote in message
news
What's the difference between a Kultur Phileas and a regular Phileas?

the materials are different. I have a Kultur and it's very lightweight and

"cheap" looking compared to the Phileas. still a decent pen and the same
basic design, but if I were forced to choose, i'd go with the Phileas. The
kultur *may* be marketed in other countries using the same phinishes the
phileas is phound in in the US.

sorry... :P

Old September 20th 04, 05:27 PM
Dave

....so I was seriously wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

David