Pelikan pens: quality & nib size (Technixx & Souveran 400, 600)

Old September 16th 04, 04:41 PM
Paul G

The combination of Pelikans feed and nib gives a broader line on all
models and sizes.
I print, and write fairly small, and have always used a Pelikan fine,
but medium in every other brand. My M1000 has an extra fine to
compensate for the huge amount of ink the 1000 feed holds. In all
honesty, I have to say no two of my Pelikans write exactly the same
way...that's why I love them
With all respect to many who use ammonia mixtures, I stay away from
them. When first removed from the box, a flush with 1:1 ammonia and
water can remove any lubricants from the feed that will affect flow. For
cleaning, I use a 1:1 mix of Formula 409 and water...followed by a good
clean water rinse.
Enjoy your Pelikans!

Regards,
Pelikanyo Paul

"KCat" wrote in message
. com...
"Txiasaeia" wrote in message
om...
Two and a half years ago, I made my first foray into the world of
fountain pens, buying a Pelikan Technixx with a medium nib. I was
happy at first, but now the paint is flaking off and there are

serious
problems with ink flow, as in sometimes it doesn't at all. I clean
the nib every two cartriges with warm water but it doesn't seem to
have made any difference. The other problem I have with the pen is
that the medium nib is *huge* - I have very small handwriting, and I
can't seem to make an "e" with a space in it with the pen.

others have already expressed their thoughts about the Souveran range.

IMO,
the 200s, 400s and up are all excellent pens.

the clogged nib above. What ink have you been using? Some inks

are
more problematic than others so I'm just curious.

I don't know the Technixx in terms of how it is assembled but a fairly

safe
way of working the clogs out of most pens is to soak the nib in a mild
ammonia/water solution. The standard I've seen is 1 tsp to 2/3 cup.

You
can go stronger with some materials. You can use a bulb syringe such

as
that sold in pharmacies with ear cleaning kits or baby care products

force the solution through the section, feed and nib. You might have

more
success with this than with plain water.

I'm not sure about flaking paint though. Is this paint on the pen

barrel?
Anyway...it sounds like you've got a serious clogging problem. If the

pen
is not of great value to you then I wouldn't bother with having it

fixed.
If you'd really like it up and running again, it might need to be

cleaned by
an expert or sent to Chartpak for repair. Chartpak folks are great and

their
response time is excellent. Pelikan Germany's response time is less

so.

good luck with your purchase. I'd go with an EF - especially in a

gold nib
as *in my experience* Pel gold nibs run slightly larger than Pel

steel.

kcat

Old September 17th 04, 03:53 AM
Jack Harrell

I'm as new to this as you, and I also have jumped in with both feet.
In the last month I have purchased an old Pelikan M400. Dunno how old,
but it just says Germany in it and has an actual inscribed pelikan in the
tip
rather than a print. I have also purchased a Pelican Stockholm M620.

The Stockholm nib is MUCH smoother and MUCH prettier. But that
may just have to do with the age of the two nibs and the difference in
composition.

The 400 was going to be for my wife, but she found something else
she liked more (a nice old Parker 51 in Turqoise Blue). I personally
found that the 400 wrote great, put out lots of ink (which I like), but the
pen itself was just so small I didn't care to use it. And I do not have
large hands.

"Txiasaeia" wrote in message
om...
Two and a half years ago, I made my first foray into the world of
fountain pens, buying a Pelikan Technixx with a medium nib. I was
happy at first, but now the paint is flaking off and there are serious
problems with ink flow, as in sometimes it doesn't at all. I clean
the nib every two cartriges with warm water but it doesn't seem to
have made any difference. The other problem I have with the pen is
that the medium nib is *huge* - I have very small handwriting, and I
can't seem to make an "e" with a space in it with the pen.

Now, build quality notwithstanding, I'd like to move up to something a
little pricier, but I'm a bit hesitant. I've been thinking about
either a Souveran 400 or 600, depending on how they feel (there are no
pen shops where I live, but I'll be heading to Calgary next month
where hopefully I can test drive both of these pens), but I want to
make sure that there aren't going to be any huge problems with either
the quality of the nib or the shaft.

Finally, the question of size: is there really a difference between F
and M? I've been looking at a few comparisons on the net between the
two sizes and quite frankly I can't tell the difference. Should I
think about getting an EF or stick to an F? My problem is that my
retailer of choice won't have an EF unless they special order it, so
I'm not sure i'll be able to try it out before I buy. I wish I could
have done so with my Technixx. Anyway, thanks very much!

Old September 17th 04, 09:28 PM
Michael Guterman

Viseguy wrote:
(Txiasaeia) wrote...

Now, build quality notwithstanding, I'd like to move up to something a
little pricier, but I'm a bit hesitant. I've been thinking about
either a Souveran 400 or 600, depending on how they feel

Once you decide, do yourself a big favor and purchase your pen from a
nibmeister (or send it to him or her for customization after you buy
it). John Mottishaw (nibs.com) is a master indeed, as is Richard
Binder (richardspens.com); (there are others). Both sell Pelikans and
know them inside out, and either of them will adjust the nib to your
specific preferences. The service at either place is superb. Barbara
(at richardspens.com) or Pat (at nibs.com) will make you feel like you
are the only customer.

Hey, a $200 fountain pen is a luxury. Might as well go all the way!

If you are concerned about line width, this is excellent advice. I just
had my 800 modified by Richard at the NYC show, and it is so much better
(for me) now. I bought an Omas Ogiva Demo from John M, and was not
happy with the flow. Pat had me return it immediately, and is crediting
the postage. These guys will customize your nib to exactly what you
want. If the postage isn't too much concern, you can even buy the pen,
write with it so they can see your style, and then have the work done.
If price is a real concern, we just saw a post on the 605 at Levenger's
for 99 dollars, which can't be a bad thing. I just bought a Shanghai
(essentially a disguised 600, but very pretty and an LE) for 189 plus 7
for shipping from Pam at oscarbraunpens.com. Pam was so nice to deal
with, and amazingly ion this day and age, shipped me the pen, and then
asked for me to send the check. I almost fell out of my chair! I have
more than a few Pelikans, and love them. If you want a really fine fine
point you will have to have it modified, though.

Michael