Jewel on Parker Vacumatic

Old September 17th 04, 04:07 AM
Jack Harrell

Default Jewel on Parker Vacumatic

What is the best way to get a clip screw off of a Parker Vacumatic without
damaging the jewel?

Old September 17th 04, 08:09 AM
Swisspen

No chance to get the clip screw off without removing the jewel, Da Book
is no help on this issue.

At first I try a not too hard rubber eraser. I press it against the
jewel and turn counterclockwise. Maybe it loosens, maybe not...
I also try it with a piece of rubber tube (from bicycle or such) wound
around my thumb.
You just want to increase the adhesion between the jewel's surface and
something to unscrew it. I could imagine a tool in the shape of the
jewel. Maybe made of a wooden stick with rubber coat. Could look
somewhat like this:
______
/
______\

I even heard somewhere to glue something to the jewel for unscrewing it
and afterwards removing the glue. Personally I wouldn't try this. If you
deal with a black jewel, chances are good to find replacement jewels.
Then you can cut into the jewel's surface and try to unscrew it with a
knife. If your jewel is striped, the you want to save it at any
circumstance.

Anyway, no risk no fun.

Greetings from Switzerland
Det, swisspen

Old September 17th 04, 01:25 PM
Jack Harrell

/boggle

I had a circular sheet of rubber used to get a grip on jar lids that I had
been trying to do that very thing with. After reading your post I tried
again pushing pretty hard directly on the screw with my thumb and it came
right out.