Josh Tatum

Old September 8th 04, 03:04 AM
Miketuch1

Default Josh Tatum

Couldn't get back to the old thread -apologies.\

However, check this link before deciding whether or not Josh Tatum existed:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article997.chtml

Old September 8th 04, 03:54 AM
Bruce Remick

"Miketuch1" wrote in message
Couldn't get back to the old thread -apologies.\

However, check this link before deciding whether or not Josh Tatum

existed:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article997.chtml

If you do a Google search on "josh tatum", you'll find a bunch of similar
accounts of Josh Tatum's reported story. Each account seems to add innocent
little details to the story to appeal to the reader's imagination and give
the impression of accuracy. So far, I have yet to read anywhere of actual
documented records of Tatum's "trial" or anything else that would make one
believe that the story, and Tatum himself, is other than a folk tale. A
good and harmless tale, though, and one that should probably be left alone.

Also, the verb "to josh" reportedly appears in dictionaries some 30 years
before 1883. So much for that part of the story.

Bruce

Old September 8th 04, 05:51 AM
TomDeLorey

Just another retelling of the story, without providing any evidence that it is
true.
..
There is an old journalism saying: "If your mother says she loves you, check it
out!"
..
Tom DeLorey
..
Subject: Josh Tatum
From: (Miketuch1)
Date: 9/7/2004 9:04 PM Central Daylight Time
Couldn't get back to the old thread -apologies.\

However, check this link before deciding whether or not Josh Tatum existed:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article997.chtml

TomDeLorey
-
"Patriotism means supporting your country all of the time, and supporting your
government only when it deserves it."--John Williams
Old September 8th 04, 12:24 PM
joecoin

"Bruce Remick" wrote in

"Miketuch1" wrote in message
[...]

Now josh a minute! I happen to know Josh Tatums great great grandson,
Chain Yankin. (Josh's grandaughter married a Chinese Coolie in 1899. His
name was Wang Yankin.) My buddy Chain assures me that the story behind
his great Granpap is 100% accugrade. (Whoops, I mean accurate). EXCEPT
for one minor detail. Josh was actually nickel plating 5 dollar gold
pieces and passing them off as the new nickels. He was a member of the
Fraternal Secret Order of the Morons, and this practice was part of the
initiation ritual. Josh was never caught and never went to trial, the
story has been passed down through generations of Morons. Just ask any
Moron.

--
Joecoin

Copper is as copper does.

Old September 8th 04, 04:41 PM
RLWinnetka

Just another retelling of the story, without providing any evidence that it
is
true.

As I may have posted earlier on this thread, I believe that the Josh Tatum
story was made up out of whole cloth by Lynn Glaser for his book,
Counterfeiting in America (1968). The story, in much shortened form, appears
on pp. 224-6 and calls him Joshua. If anyone can find ANY reference to Tatum
published prior to 1968, please post it.

Bob Leonard
Old September 8th 04, 05:18 PM
Bruce Remick

"RLWinnetka" wrote in message
Just another retelling of the story, without providing any evidence that

it
is
true.

As I may have posted earlier on this thread, I believe that the Josh Tatum
story was made up out of whole cloth by Lynn Glaser for his book,
Counterfeiting in America (1968). The story, in much shortened form,

appears
on pp. 224-6 and calls him Joshua. If anyone can find ANY reference to

Tatum
published prior to 1968, please post it.

Bob Leonard

FWIW, a search of the US Census every-name index for 1870, 1880, and 1900
(the 1890 Census was mostly destroyed) shows no candidate for a Josh/Joshua
Tatum in the northeast US. The handful of "hits" were mostly farmers from
southern states. Interesting that the legend always seems to imply that
Josh's actions were the cause of the addition of "CENTS" to the nickel.

Bruce

Old September 9th 04, 03:57 AM
Ed Hendricks

"RLWinnetka" wrote in message

Just another retelling of the story, without providing any evidence
that it is
true.

As I may have posted earlier on this thread, I believe that the Josh
Tatum story was made up out of whole cloth by Lynn Glaser for his
book, Counterfeiting in America (1968). The story, in much shortened
form, appears on pp. 224-6 and calls him Joshua. If anyone can find
ANY reference to Tatum published prior to 1968, please post it.

Bob Leonard

I did a little Googling. I found it odd that the PCGS website published an
article on the subject and presented it as a true story.

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article997.chtml

Here is another version of the story that is totally different from the one
most of us are familiar with.

http://library.thinkquest.org/J003358F/funny.html

--
©¿©¬
~

Old September 9th 04, 04:18 AM
Bill Krummel

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
[...]

And now we have a new term. Instead of joshing you, from now on I will be
callie'n' you. That story is so far out I am embarrassed for the school
girl who wrote it. Bill

Old September 9th 04, 06:01 AM
Frank Provasek

From word-detective.com:

The story of Josh Tatum may or may not be true (and I suspect it is not).
But even if it is, it cannot be the source of the verb "to josh," meaning to
joke or trick, because "to josh" showed up in 1852, more than 30 years
before the coin in question was even minted.

--
Frank Provasek Rare Coins
www.frankcoins.com Ebay FRANKCOINS

Josh Harnett TTM? Justified Shy 1 Autographs 0 November 22nd 04 08:09 PM
My 1st Newspaper article Wes Chormicle Coins 26 September 16th 04 02:51 AM
Donn Tatum Terry Autographs 2 June 28th 04 05:17 PM
Rachel Weisz, Christopher Walken, Josh Lucas, and Chris Rock Earl Autographs 0 February 19th 04 06:24 AM