McMurtry's Oscar speech

Old March 6th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default McMurtry's Oscar speech

At the Oscars this evening, Larry McMurtry thanked the booksellers of
the world for keeping alive the culture of the book (whence comes many,
if not most, movies).

Well done.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old March 6th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

William M. Klimon wrote:
At the Oscars this evening, Larry McMurtry thanked the booksellers of
the world for keeping alive the culture of the book...

Flunky: "But, sir, you *are* A Bookseller."

Boss: "I know"

Flunky: "So you're thanking yourself?"

Boss: pause "Maybe."

--Jon Meyers
Old March 6th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jon Meyers wrote:

At the Oscars this evening, Larry McMurtry thanked the booksellers of
the world for keeping alive the culture of the book...

Flunky: "But, sir, you *are* A Bookseller."

Boss: "I know"

Flunky: "So you're thanking yourself?"

Boss: pause "Maybe."

Alright, alright. But to walk into the belly of the Beast and to
praise book culture to the chief purveyors of visual culture, well, I'd
like to think that was just his little way of sticking it to the man.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old March 7th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Jon Meyers wrote:

At the Oscars this evening, Larry McMurtry thanked the booksellers of
the world for keeping alive the culture of the book...

Flunky: "But, sir, you *are* A Bookseller."

Boss: "I know"

Flunky: "So you're thanking yourself?"

Boss: pause "Maybe."

Alright, alright. But to walk into the belly of the Beast and to
praise book culture to the chief purveyors of visual culture, well, I'd
like to think that was just his little way of sticking it to the man.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

I thought it was wonderful. I also liked Clooney's acceptance
speech.

Kris

Old March 7th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Kris Baker" wrote in

Jon Meyers wrote:

At the Oscars this evening, Larry McMurtry thanked the
booksellers of the world for keeping alive the culture of the
book...

Flunky: "But, sir, you *are* A Bookseller."

Boss: "I know"

Flunky: "So you're thanking yourself?"

Boss: pause "Maybe."

Alright, alright. But to walk into the belly of the Beast and to
praise book culture to the chief purveyors of visual culture, well,
I'd like to think that was just his little way of sticking it to the
man.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

I thought it was wonderful. I also liked Clooney's acceptance
speech.

Kris

I too was pleased It was appropriate in a catagory that rewarded the
adaptation for a screenplay. It said that without the stories, there
would be no movie. Better still, the author was there. I doubt he
contemplated a huge exodus to Archer, Texas in search of his wares.

He was close to shutting the whole thing down. If anything, he is the
anti-Bill Gates. I didn't even notice a reference to a cool website. I
may have to go there to see if he has an "Ephemera Section" devoted
entirely to "New Yorkers".

My girlfriend gave a salute similar to that given in the 1968 Olympics.

Fashion Police question - Was he really wearing denim? (I don't belive
the FAQs forbid this question in this context)

TTFN

Ted.
Old March 7th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jon Meyers wrote:

[...]

Yeah, he did. Jeans and a tuxedo jacket.

Kris

Old March 7th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Ted Jones wrote:
"Kris Baker" wrote:
"William M. Klimon" wrote...
Jon Meyers wrote:
"William M. Klimon" wrote...

[...]

No, I didn't really think so, either. I was just having a little fun.
I have to admit I didn't even watch the show; I was reading.

--Jon Meyers
The Bone People, by Keri Hulme
Old March 7th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winn...?ad=oscarnight

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com