collecting coins - is it worth it any more?

Old January 2nd 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
OhioGuy

Default collecting coins - is it worth it any more?

Due to the high silver prices, I sold off a couple of rolls of 1964 silver
halves that I found when going through rolls at the local bank back when I
was 16.

These were the only coins I had where I felt like I had made an amazing
discovery. The two rolls were actually marked "1964" - this was 1989 or
1990, and nobody had removed them from circulation! Either that, or someone
at the bank did something really nice for the young kid who came every week
or two to look through about $300 worth of rolled coins.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out whether to get back into collecting coins
again. My Father in Law does it - he goes to farm auctions, you name it,
and buys things like boxes of junk, then looks through it all. He recently
found a penny in a box he paid $2 for. After sending it off and having it
graded, it turned out to be worth $150.

Are auctions of that type the best way to regularly get coins for a lot
less than they are worth?

Old January 2nd 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
[...]

Coin life is good. For me. You alone can decide if it would be good for
you. IMHO, though, if you are considering getting back into coins to make a
profit, you'd be doing so for all the wrong reasons, and you'll almost
certainly be disappointed.

James

Old January 2nd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:12:10 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

[...]

I collect coins for enjoyment, not as an investment. There are just
too many unknowns to do it solely for the purpose of making a profit.
If what I buy does go up in value, then great. But I'm not really
worrying about profit, especially for what I'm spending.

Though prices are generally less on eBay (the only auction place I've
bought coins from so far), I use it more for getting coins with the
right eye appeal than for getting coins for less money.

Old January 2nd 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
[...]

Anyone having the answer to your question would be very foolish to post it
here. Billy

Old January 3rd 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

Collect for fun, not for profit. If you do it for profit, theres a
good chance your going to be disappointed. Maybe if your in it for the
long haul then you might get alittle back, but no one can tell the
future.

Old January 3rd 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jan 2, 2:12*pm, "OhioGuy" wrote:

* Are auctions of that type the best way to regularly get coins for a lot
less than they are worth?

Sometimes you can get a real bargain but you realy have to work at it.
Collecting coins can be an enjoyable pasttime.
Investing in coins can be frustrating and can lead to disaster if you
don't know what you're doing.
Old January 3rd 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:19:37 -0500, Bill Dukenfield wrote:
OhioGuy wrote:

Are auctions of that type the best way to regularly get coins for a lot
less than they are worth?

No.

Did you care to elaborate on your pronouncement, or are you going to
just expect people to take you at your (one, suspect) word?

Old January 3rd 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
OhioGuy

Are auctions of that type the best way to regularly get coins for a lot
less than they are worth?

Anyone having the answer to your question would be very foolish to post it

Ah, yes. I forgot that some folks STEAL coin collections, which I suppose
would truly be a cheaper way to get coins inexpensively. I meant MORALLY,
though.