United States Scott #116...

Old September 10th 04, 10:03 PM
Alan W. Craft

Default United States Scott #116...

...the 10 cent value from the "Pictorial" issue of 1869.

I recently acquired this used copy from the APS StampStore...

http://public.fotki.com/MississippiA...ly/us116r.html

....and upon its receipt my worst suspicions were confirmed.
While I did not have the stamp expertised, the upper right
corner nevertheless showed signs of undisclosed restoration,
hence its prompt return. I suspect a goodly-sized portion of
the corner had been torn off at some point in time. The rest
of the stamp appeared to be original, that is, appeared.

sigh 'Twas a pretty one.

I searched again, and found this for $40 less...

http://public.fotki.com/MississippiA...ely/us116.html

(Click on "Get Original Uploaded Photo" for a more detailed
view.)

Hmmm...most promising. Note the star shining directly
in the center of the cancel(intentional?)...very nice.

When it arrives, I will set it before me, but only for a moment
as I confirm the predetermined yet nonetheless agonising
and risky decision...

....to soak it off the envelope in a warm, mild dishwashing
liquid solution, gently squishing the suds through the paper,
then a rinse in a baking soda solution in an attempt to negate
any further remaining traces of acid, and lastly a final rinse in
filtered water before blotting it with a paper towel and placing
it in the drying book. After all, that nasty old gum can't be
doing the stamp the least bit of good.

Well, what do you think? Pros, cons, et cetera?

Alan
Old September 10th 04, 11:49 PM
PMATS5

Alan,

This is one to definitely leave on the cover! Regardless of the fact that the
value is more than doubled for an example on cover, this is probably a genuine
usage of the issue to Europe. I could not download the photo to look at the
markings on the cover, but they could add to it's value or even be significant
in postal history.

If you really, really want a single to put in your album, please let me know
and I will find one for you in exchange for the cover with the stamp on it.

George
Old September 11th 04, 11:46 PM
Albumen

before you soak:
http://www.stamps.org/care/pcpm.htm

--

Send Replies to:

Old September 12th 04, 04:39 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:46:45 -0700, "Albumen"
wrote:

before you soak:
http://www.stamps.org/care/pcpm.htm

"Stamps can be cleaned satisfactorily by using
a soap solution to remove the dirt. The soap
solution is made by adding 3 or 4 drops of
pure uncolored liquid soap to a pint of
water."

Thanks for the confirmation.

Actually, I use a drop in about a cup or less of
water. After all, I wan't some cleaning action.

I give ALL of my new acquistions a bath in the
manner previously described.

Gum, dirt, and acid are definte no-nos.

Alan
Old September 12th 04, 05:02 AM
Alan W. Craft

On 10 Sep 2004 22:49:01 GMT, (PMATS5) wrote:

Alan,

This is one to definitely leave on the cover!

I appreciate your concern, but the old
gum will slowly yet surely destroy the stamp,
not to mention the cover to which it is tied.

Regardless of the fact that the value is
more than doubled for an example on cover...

I'm not so much interested in the monetary
aspect of philately, as I see too much of that
within the APS StampStore as it is, but rather
in preservation.

Both stamp and cover will be saved, but the
gum betwixt them must go, and any traces
of acid remaining.

...this is probably a genuine
usage of the issue to Europe.

...no doubt, particularly given that many
Iowans at that time were of German descent.

I could not download the photo to look at the
markings on the cover, but they could add to
it's value or even be significant in postal history.

If you really, really want a single to put in your
album, please let me know and I will find one for
you in exchange for the cover with the stamp on it.

Not a chance...

8^)

....as they're aren't too many fine examples left.

At this moment, the envelope is resting
comfortably, in the dark coolness, at my local
post office, as I wasn't home to sign for it today.
I'll pick it up Monday or Tuesday, depending.

I am going to study it very carefully before
I soak it off...very carefully. I will make certain
that it will be an exemplary example once done;
that there will be no potential pinholes, creases,
et cetera. Also, the cover will also be cared for,
and I can always place the stamp back in position,
albeit without the...

....GUM, and...ACID.

George

Alan
Old September 12th 04, 05:05 AM
Alan W. Craft

On 10 Sep 2004 22:49:01 GMT, (PMATS5) wrote:

Alan,

This is one to definitely leave on the cover!

I appreciate your concern, but the old
gum will slowly yet surely destroy the stamp,
not to mention the cover to which it is tied.

Regardless of the fact that the value is
more than doubled for an example on cover...

I'm not so much interested in the monetary
aspect of philately, as I see too much of that
within the APS StampStore as it is, but rather
in preservation.

Both stamp and cover will be saved, but the
gum betwixt them must go, and any traces
of acid remaining.

...this is probably a genuine
usage of the issue to Europe.

No doubt, particularly when given that
many Iowans at that time were of German
descent.

I could not download the photo to look at the
markings on the cover, but they could add to
it's value or even be significant in postal history.

If you really, really want a single to put in your
album, please let me know and I will find one for
you in exchange for the cover with the stamp on it.

Not a chance...

8^)

....as there aren't too many fine examples left.

Old September 12th 04, 06:00 PM
PMATS5

Alan,

Glad to hear that you will be saving the cover as well. It is a bit of postal
history. I agree that the acid in the gum can and will destroy gum. Too often
I have seen collections where the gum has curled and actually split the stamp.
Early (a910-30 Austria for example.

George
Old September 15th 04, 12:11 AM
Albumen

Before 1870 US paper was made from alkaline processes - so the papers are
inherently non-acidic.

-a

--

Send Replies to:

Old September 15th 04, 12:43 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:11:39 -0700, "Albumen"
wrote:

Before 1870 US paper was made from alkaline processes - so the papers are
inherently non-acidic.

-a

Very good, but what about their gum,
not to mention the envelopes of the