Belgium drives another nail in collecting coffin

Old September 2nd 04, 10:52 PM
Stamps4ra

Default Belgium drives another nail in collecting coffin

The recent Belgium Kilopost self adhesves have arrived at my supplier and I am
not buying them nor any more Belgium stamps.
There were two issues; 7/1/04, three stamps, 0,5kg, 1kg and 2kg. my dealer is
offering this three stamp set for $19.34 USD.
The second set, Kilopost II self adhesives consists of six stamps, 3kg, 4kg,
5kg, 10kg, 20kg and 30kg. Same dealer is offering this six stamp set for $92.42
USD.
Paying $111.76 USD for these nine stamps is not in my budget. I collect for fun
and when this amount of money is involved it is no longer fun.
Very many stamps and especially stamp sets are priced where only the affluent
can afford to buy them. No kid collectors here.
Just another nail in the coffin reserved for stamp collectors.

Ralphael, the OLD master

Old September 2nd 04, 11:37 PM
Roger Smith

"Stamps4ra" wrote in message
[...]

Ralphael

You could always wait a bit and look out for fine USED copies! You would
surely pick them up for far less than their face value but it would involve
more effort on your part than just contacting your supplier -

Regards, Roger

Old September 3rd 04, 04:14 AM
Blair (TC)

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:20:05 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

What is Kilopost? Are these stamps for parcels weighing so many kilograms?

Tony

Exactly, Tony. Only 1 tiny advantage
is that if rates go up your old 10 Kg
stamp still pays for the 10 KG parcel.

Kilopost stamps:
http://pv.en.bpg.post.be/en/private/...es/19_9585.jpg

There are TWO types of Kilopost, National and International.

International (190 countries)
International service: parcels from 2 kg up to and including 30 kg

Dimensions:
1,5 m in the length and 3 m for the sum of the length and the
circumference measured from any other side than the length.

Rates:

Zone 0:
Luxembourg (G-D), Netherlands, bordering zones of Germany (covering
those postcodes beginning with
40-41-44-45-46-47-50-51-52-53-54-56-575-579) and France (covering
those postcodes beginning with 08-54-55-57-59-62)

Zone 1:
The rest of the countries in the European Union

Zone 2:
North Africa, the rest of Europe (including Norway and Switzerland),
USA, the Middle East

Zone 3:
The rest of Africa, Canada, Central America, The Gulf states

Zone 4:
South America, Asia

Zone 5:
Oceania

Weight 2-5 KG 10 KG 15 KG 20 KG 30 KG
€ € € € €

Zone
0 21,07 23,55 27,27 29,75 33,47
1 29,75 47,10 74,37 89,24 96,68
2 38,42 65,69 81,80 91,72 101,64
3 61,97 117,75 163,61 197,08 231,78
4 74,37 143,78 210,71 242,94 273,92
5 96,68 193,36 267,73 321,02 373,08

More info at:
http://pv.en.bpg.post.be/EN/private/...nt/default.asp

National (Belgium)
Info at:
http://pv.en.bpg.post.be/en/private/...al/default.asp

Blair

Old September 3rd 04, 05:56 AM
Rein Bakhuizen van den Brink

dear Raphael,

there were 9 large self-adhesive stamps [or labels if you wish] with track and
trace barcodes available at the Belgian post offices for a few years till november 2003.
No Belgium stamp collector knew about them, the Post didn't advertise them. The
big problem for the Post was that hardly any of their offices had barcode-scanning
facilities, so last year they decided to withdraw the Kilopost stamps as there was
no demand for the track&trace options. Still they were obligatory for parcels within
Belgium. They came up with the idea of replacing the self-adhesives by 9 gummed,
perforated smaller stamps - no track&trace. They mentioned these stamps briefly in
their philatelic magazine 'Philanews', but no stamp collector in Belgium seriously
thought about buying or ordering them. These 9 stamps were issued on november 17, 2003.
Simmultaneously de 3 lower values were also issued as self-adhesives in hang and sell
booklets of 5 [the traditional looking stamps in sheetlets of 10]. These 3 self-
adhesives are the ones you mention [0.5, 1, 2kg]. The sheetlets were printed in
Bruxelles in the Post Office stationery printing house by offset-litho, with dry
synthetic gum, the self-adhesive booklets were printed in photogravure by the
Post Office Mechelen Printing Plant.

Only after 2 months it turned out that the gummed stamps didn't hold on the parcels,
the gum fixation was desastrous. So, in came self-adhesive stmaps for the 6 other
weight-classes as well [your second set].

The Post Office obviously hasn't had any philatelic purposes in mind, they simply
had started an experiment some years ago, without thinking [ahead] much and in the
process of separating the Kilopost departement from the larger EMS/Taxipost division.
Late last year there was no ready documentation available in Bruxelles/Mechelen about
the first sets [the larger self-adhesive ones] but for an article I had written in
June,2003......

groetjes, Rein

.

Old September 3rd 04, 06:13 AM
Rein Bakhuizen van den Brink

dear Blair,

the Kilopost stamps are only for use within Belgium - the national type.

Sofar 4 sets of 9 stamps:

track & trace, large size, dull surface, printed in offset-litho by DLR
track & trace, large size, shiny surface printed by offset-litho DLR
smaller size, perforated, gummed, printed by offset-litho Bruxelles
smaller size, self-adhesives, printed by photogravure, Mechelen.

The 2 earliest sets are extremely hard to get by [11.000, 9.000
complete sets at the most], the 3rd may be just as difficult as
it was available for only 2 or 3 months.

groetjes, Rein

Old September 3rd 04, 12:37 PM
John Mycroft

In 1897, Canada issued stamps with a face value of $5 - about half a week's
pay. I wish my grandpa had bought a sheet and left them to me in his will.
Perhaps the same will be true of the kilo stamps. From a postal point of
view, they are a darn fine idea - I hate having to troll along to the post
office every time I have a parcel to post. From a collector's point of
view, you're right - they price the hobby out of your pocket.

--
Cheers - John Mycroft
coryton_at_cobbsmill_dot_com

Old September 3rd 04, 02:49 PM
Stamps4ra

Ah dear Roger, you are a dreamer. These little suckers will never be found in
the used bins because they have very little usage.
Same story with many of the worldwide sets. Only collectors buy them almost no
one uses them for postage.

Ralphael, the OLD master
Old September 3rd 04, 02:52 PM
Stamps4ra

Blair, most of the countires that issue the stamp issues cancelled charge the
same price as the uncancelled ones.

Ralphael, the OLD one