Flood at Long Beach show?

Old September 21st 03, 03:13 AM
Ira Stein

Default Flood at Long Beach show?

Tom deLorey wrote:

Anybody there Saturday? I heard that there was a water line break up in the
ceiling, with maybe six tables getting drenched. Can anybody confirm/elaborate?
TD

A water cooling line for the air conditioning broke flooding the place with
about 8000 gal of water. For liability issues, the dealers couldn't get in
until 11:35AM with the public admitted about 12:15. Many of the public,
however, arrived at 9:30-10:30, got tired of waiting and left.

As usual, I made some significant buys and bought a bunch of MS-66 and MS-67
red Lincolns (PCGS only),
Included were the obligatory Proof 64 1856 FE, two 1916D dimes, a MS-67 Morgan,
a fabulous 1825 Bust half and another 1916 Standing Lib, now off to PCGS for a
crossover along wih the 1916D dime. Good show for me but extremely strong
prices on most nice material. Trends and CU hoplessly out of date compared to
what dealers were paying for pieces at auction and over the table for Indians
and Lincolns & indian Heads in original red. Bought a bunch of 1909 S VDBs in
red and a fab red 1877 IHC as well as an atrtractive F15 of that date. Shipped
most of all but the more common stuff back yesterday so I should (hopefully)
have them by Wednesday.

Ira Stein
Old September 21st 03, 03:33 AM
JSTONE9352

A water cooling line for the air conditioning broke flooding the place with
about 8000 gal of water. For liability issues, the dealers couldn't get in
until 11:35AM with the public admitted about 12:15. Many of the public,
however, arrived at 9:30-10:30, got tired of waiting and left.

This has to be one of the most unusual
things to have ever happened at a coin
show. I suspect the coins were damaged by the water and the loses could
be substantial. I wonder how insurance would cover this?
Old September 21st 03, 04:45 AM
Harv

"Steve" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
(JSTONE9352) sez...

I suspect the coins were damaged by the water and the loses could be

substantial.

Not necessarily. 8000 gallons of water leaking anywhere but above the

coins per
se, might only have the effect of distributing a "film" of water or less

over
the floor. The LB Convention Center is over 200,000 sq ft of display

area.

Always here for my fellow syngraphist or oenophile.
--=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=--

Yeah, the leak was polite and evenly distributed itself; Film at eleven.
Steve

If it leaked from pipes in the ceiling all over dealer tables it would've
been a stinking mess with a lot of damage. Most nice stuff is in glass
cases. These are typical rental cases with flat glass lids. They are not
designed to be rained on, but they should protect what's inside unless water
leaks in around the edges of the hinged lids. If one pipe somewhere broke,
it's not like an entire sprinkler system went off, soaking the entire room.
Some dealers have big inventoris of stuff like raw Proof and Mint sets and
have them out in plastic tubs and cardboard boxes on their tables, not in
cases. Those kinds of items would be ruined. Lots of stamp dealers, currency
dealers, paper ephemera dealers, old stock certificates and such, and other
dealers who have things in binders sitting out on their tables not protected
by nuthin' would also have a lot of damage..

It depends on where the water leaked. If it was one broken pipe gushing
water out onto the floor or what exactly it was. If it leaked out over an
area of the huge hall that didn't have any tables under it, like over the
big round tables in the eating area near the snack bars, no one's inventory
would get hit, and it'd just hit the floor and then spread out. They'd have
to bring in motorized water suckers and squeegees and move the water out the
doors or suck it up.. that floor, which is concrete, probably has drains in
it somewhere too..

If they held the public back for a couple hours and then let them in, they
must've decided the problem had been fixed, else they would've called off
the show today and not opened the doors at all..

So it just depends on where the leak was and what it hit..

I've searched all the local media outlet Web sites that seemed like logical
places to search and didn't find anything on this at all, so either they
don't consider the story important enough to report, or they haven't gotten
around to it yet.. if it bleeds, it leads, and this didn't bleed..

Harv

Old September 21st 03, 06:21 PM
JSTONE9352

Donnpr took some pitchers (supposedly for insurance purposes
if necessary), but I suspect they'll show up in Corn World
or Numi Nooz in the next couple of weeks ...

NN or CW headline: "Mini hurricane
hits Long Beach show".
Old September 21st 03, 09:38 PM
Nospamdonn

Dear Ira,

Where did you get the figure of "8,000 gallons?" That seems an absurdly high
figure, and I was wondering if you were saying it in jest (as some members of
RCC will believe it is true).

The majority of dealers were not let in before 11:30 a.m. because the
Convention Center clean up crews were mopping up. The area affected by the
water had been cordoned off so that clean up could take place as effectively
and quickly as possible.

Yes, some members of the public left before they could enter on Saturday
morning, perhaps they had other matters to attend to and could not wait until
Noon to be let in. But if you looked around the floor at 12:30 (and later) you
saw plenty of visitors to the show on Saturday and it was business as usual
except for a small area directly under the broken pipe.

A virtual standing room only audience of about 100 went to the eBay seminar
which started on time at Noon.

-donn-
donnpr-at-aol-dot-com

Long Beach Coin Show Fred Truex Coins 2 September 22nd 03 04:07 AM
Long Beach Show.. Harv Coins 7 September 21st 03 09:28 PM
Anyone want to test dealers at the next Long Beach show? John Stone Coins 7 August 31st 03 01:25 AM
PR: Walton 1913 nickel at Long Beach Expo Nospamdonn Coins 1 August 28th 03 06:50 PM
UPDATE - StarStruck Show in Las Vegas - second post attempt Todd F. Autographs 1 July 13th 03 12:16 AM