what else do you collect?

Old May 30th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Default what else do you collect?

Ο έγραψε στο μήνυμα
m...
In article , "gogu"
wrote:

Ο "John Ahnen" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
news

Another active collection is firearms. Wanda and I try to buy a couple
guns
a year, which is pretty easy for us since we have a good friend who has
gun shop (Dave's Guns and Guy Stuff). If he gets something in that he
thinks I might like he will set it aside until I show up. He also
allows
layaways which is nice. I never know what will catch my fancy, normally
it
is just something that I do not have one of. The guns range from a
civil
war era S&W revolver (3 examples), a WWII Japanese sniper rifle (from
Dad)
to modern stuff, like the Glocks (which I also carry at work).

John, just out of curiosity and certainly without any intention to
offend...
Why do you feel you *need* to carry a gun at work?...
Do you live/work in such a dangerous neighborhood, what is the motivation
behind this?
Please don't take me wrong but for a European this is quite strange and
I'd
like to know what makes people carry a gun when they are going to work.
I mean, I understand when are you going to camping, or working in a
dangerous neighborhood but I fail to understand it when you are
living/working in a "normal" place...
Are there any special reasons making you carry a gun at work?
And just to make it more clear, I like guns and if I could I'd have a
collection but only for that: collection:-)

rgrds

PS
Or maybe I took it wrongly and you carry a gun because you are working
as a guard or something similar?...

coin dealers, bodyguards, gang members and paranoids carry
guns here.

Well, that was the essence of my posting;-)
If you do not belong to one of the abovementioned categories plus cops, I
really can't
understand why someone should feel the need to carry a gun at work!
Unless of course it's an instrument of his work...

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old May 30th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο έγραψε στο μήνυμα
In article , "gogu"
wrote:

any model kits left?

Now that brings back memories of an old hobby of mine, making plastic
models
of airplanes and tanks!
I still have around 200 unmade models (mostly Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revel, etc
in 1:48), a lot of money invested there (maybe more than 10 grand)...
I wonder if they are of any value today and if there is a market for them.
Anyone knows?
Maybe they are considered "antiques";-)
LOL

tnx

but the book before you sell the kit. and watch out for
collection buyers. they will offer pennies on the dollar.
cruise ebay to get a feel.

That's exactly my problem:-)
I am already tired to watch eBay for coins (I am soooo of an idiot I am
collecting in several fields...) so I don't feel I can start looking on eBay
for
another field/hobby:-)
I know only what I learned in my local hobby shop about 20 years ago, I
don't know a thing about what's rare, why it's rare and so on...
I was just buying kits for my pleasure with the intention to made them at a
later time.

don't expect to get more than
40% or have more than 5 rare kits.

Hmmm...that's bad...
I am not sure if I have a kit that falls in the category "rare", I bought
all my kits between 1990 and 1995 by an ordinary shop, all new kits, nothing
really old...
True, some kits even if they are new they are considered "rare" because of
various reasons, low production number, first batch that later changed, etc.

now if you have aurora's, or some of the 'tween wars kits...
i collect the lindberg 1/72 german aircraft. not rare or
valuable but easy to bash. i've made the first 17 versuchs
numbers of the ar234. ditto the do335. so if you have
any....

Ummm..nope, sorry!
I was buying WW2 aircrafts and tanks, modern jet aircrafts and modern
tanks, 95% of them in 1:48 (1:35 for the tanks)...

Old May 30th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο έγραψε στο μήνυμα
In article , "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

but the book before you sell the kit. and watch out for
collection buyers. they will offer pennies on the dollar.
cruise ebay to get a feel. don't expect to get more than
40% or have more than 5 rare kits.
now if you have aurora's, or some of the 'tween wars kits...
i collect the lindberg 1/72 german aircraft. not rare or
valuable but easy to bash. i've made the first 17 versuchs
numbers of the ar234. ditto the do335. so if you have
any....

Back in the early 1950's I put together all of the cars in the small
Revell
antique/classic car model kits (I don't know what scale) and had them
displayed on a wall shelf. These kits were less than a dollar apiece but
the small cars were detailed enough challenge my patience as a youngster.
Some of the "modern" ones in the series included an MG-TD and I think an
XK
Jag. I occasionally check eBay to see if there might be any of these
original kits still out there -- or even assembled models -- but I've
never
found any.

Bruce

check out the rec.model.scale group. ask bill b there about
them. he's a real kit car guy.

I didn't know there is a specialized ng!
Thanks pal!

Old May 30th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο έγραψε στο μήνυμα
In article , "gogu"
wrote:

coin dealers, bodyguards, gang members and paranoids carry
guns here.

Well, that was the essence of my posting;-)
If you do not belong to one of the abovementioned categories plus cops, I
really can't
understand why someone should feel the need to carry a gun at work!
Unless of course it's an instrument of his work...

there isn't a really valid reason. but i know people who
carry guns "because they can." i avoid them.

100% agreed!

when your only
tool is a gun, all you see are targets.

Except of course you are a cop!

Old May 30th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο "John Ahnen" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
.. .
I'm a cop, specifically a narcotics agent. I have made some
acqaintances(sp?) over the years that were not favorable to the other
person, so I carry all the time. Just another work tool.

I see!
So my PS guess was correct after all:-)
I thought that you are in another line of work and you just like to carry a
gun around:-)

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi
puttane! F.d.A

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

--
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert
"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "John Ahnen" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
news
Hmmmm Besides coins, I have a small stamp collection that has been
neglected for over 30 years. I hesitate to get back into that because

of
the expense and the lack of knowledge.

Old May 31st 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

gogu wrote:

I see!
So my PS guess was correct after all:-)
I thought that you are in another line of work and you just like to carry a
gun around:-)

Sigh Guess I am getting sucked into this one. I often, not enough to
say 'regularly', carry a handgun. It may be difficult to explain
especially to someone unfamiliar with the Constitution of the United
States, but as a law abiding citizen I am entitled to own a handgun.
After being fingerprinted, photographed, taken a handgun safety
course, learned the laws regarding the use of a handgun, and a
background check being done I was issued a permit to carry a handgun,
concealed. The police cannot be everywhere they are needed and I have
not only the right to defend myself, but also an obligation. In 30
years of carrying a concealed weapon I have only had to 'produce' it
once. No, I never shot anyone but was afraid I might have to, luckily
for both the perpetrator and myself. If I had not been prepared to
defend myself it is quite possible that not only myself, but 2 other
people might not be here to talk about it today. When criminals are
prepared to do violence on the law abiding it is good to be prepared.
Someday if you happen to be in a threatening situation, pray that the
police are present, and in their absence, a law abiding citizen with a
gun. I don't mean to rant but having a gun on my person probably saved
my life.

Old May 31st 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On 30 May 2007 18:12:36 -0700, Jud wrote:

Sigh Guess I am getting sucked into this one. I often, not enough to
say 'regularly', carry a handgun. It may be difficult to explain
especially to someone unfamiliar with the Constitution of the United
States, but as a law abiding citizen I am entitled to own a handgun.

Oh, Lord. Now I'll have two threads to skip entirely: the one that
debates the existence of God, and now the one that will surely emerge
about whether or not the right was intended for individuals not part
of a well-regulated militia.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old May 31st 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Ahnen

That's right.... Don't trust ANYBODY!

--
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert
Einstein
wrote in message
In article , "gogu"

wrote:

Ο έγραψε στο μήνυμα
m...
In article , "gogu"
wrote:

coin dealers, bodyguards, gang members and paranoids carry
guns here.

Well, that was the essence of my posting;-)
If you do not belong to one of the abovementioned categories plus cops,

really can't
understand why someone should feel the need to carry a gun at work!
Unless of course it's an instrument of his work...

there isn't a really valid reason. but i know people who
carry guns "because they can." i avoid them.

100% agreed!

when your only
tool is a gun, all you see are targets.

Except of course you are a cop!

i don't trust them....

Old May 31st 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On May 27, 4:38 am, wrote:
does anyone here ever set out to collect anything other than coins? i
know the answer is yes and maybe some of you can pitch in what other
areas you've dabbled in.

today i'm letting go of one collection which at its height i had just
about as much passion for then as i do now with coins. it was a
collection, oh boy this is going to sound geeky, of... chemical
elements. you know, the stuff that makes up everything in the
universe. and any of you who know me privately know i'm hopelessly
afflicted with a get-one-of-each mentality (see my roman coin
collection athttp://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/grid28.php)

it's a bitter sweet moment to put the elements up for sale. you know,
something you put that much work into, even if you let go of actively
pursuing, has become a part of you at some level. but collections are
alive - or should be - so that unless you're a pack rat once your
interests change over time it's best to recycle them and let someone
else experience that rush you once felt.

i know this guy bill who's nuts about old coke bottles. others are
into fossils, minerals and so on. so what non-coin stuff have you gone
ga-ga for?

ras

you can collect paper money, stocks, photos, old books, college
yearbooks, bottles, documents and maps.

Old May 31st 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

wrote:
so what non-coin stuff have you gone
ga-ga for?

My main non-coin collecting interest is fossils, especially shark and
fish remains of the Cretaceous and Miocene periods. Some of them I
buy, but the ones I treasure most are the ones I discovered myself,
mostly at various sites in New Jersey and Maryland. There is
something thrilling in knowing that you are the first person in
history to ever look on that fossil. I also sometimes pick up modern,
non-fossil animal skulls and shells, partly for comparison to fossils,
partly for their own sake.

I am also still collecting used postcards. I save every postcard that
I receive, and sometimes I buy older ones on eBay or from dealers at
shows. Besides ones that were sent to me by friends and family and
thus have sentimental value, I especially like cards from unusual
places or ones with historical interest. I have three cards from
Antarctic research bases and vessels, and one from Estonia in 1926.
Perhaps the most poignant is a card from Gibraltar, sent by an RAF
airman stationed there in WWII to his daughter back home. It even
includes a stamp indicating that is was passed by "RAF Censor 164".
If only they could tell their stories...

Lately I've gotten into birdwatching, which isn't exactly collecting
since I don't actually have physical trophies, but I do keep lists of
what I see and when and I have compiled a "life list" of every species
I have seen in the wild. Finally spotting a scarce species is a lot
like filling that last hole in an album. Maybe the most exciting
"finds" for me have been a Pileated Woodpecker (a big, magnificent
bird, the "classic" woodpecker) and a Wood Duck pair (it was almost a
relief to finally spot a duck that was not a Mallard!). I am hardly a
serious birder- often I don't even use binoculars, and I usually just
search in the two nearby city parks- but I do try to identify every
bird I can, and my life list is now at 57 species.

That's it for current collections. I have collected various things at
other times but eventually lost interest. Maybe my weirdest
collection was magazine subscription renewal cards (you know, those
annoying cards that fall out of the magazine while you're trying to
read it). I think I had sixty or so diffeent magazines at one point,
but that collection got thrown away a while ago.

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.