Russian coin -- fake or real?

Old June 15th 05, 09:40 AM
Bob Hairgrove

Default Russian coin -- fake or real?

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=8311242423

Picture looks OK to me ... seller apparently doesn't know what the
coin is ... seller feedback is OK for me. OK, so it is an "estate
sale"...

But I must be missing something because there are only three bids, and
the price is nowhere near what this coin would be worth if it were
real.

Anyone??

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old June 15th 05, 09:42 AM
Bob Hairgrove

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:40:59 +0200, Bob Hairgrove

^^^

....instead of .ch ... unless you prefer to see eBay in German, that
is. The auction description will still be in German, though.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old June 15th 05, 11:14 AM
James Higby

"Bob Hairgrove" wrote in message
news
http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=8311242423

Picture looks OK to me ... seller apparently doesn't know what the
coin is ... seller feedback is OK for me. OK, so it is an "estate
sale"...

But I must be missing something because there are only three bids, and
the price is nowhere near what this coin would be worth if it were
real.

Anyone??

--
Bob Hairgrove

It looks cleaned to me. Kind of mottled, splotchy.

James

Old June 15th 05, 11:38 AM
Bob Hairgrove

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:15:27 GMT, Ian
wrote:

Bob Hairgrove wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=8311242423

Picture looks OK to me ... seller apparently doesn't know what the
coin is ... seller feedback is OK for me. OK, so it is an "estate
sale"...

But I must be missing something because there are only three bids, and
the price is nowhere near what this coin would be worth if it were
real.

Anyone??

--
Bob Hairgrove

I'm not convinced that it's authentic. The pictures are pretty crap, but
on enhancing them i'm drawn to the distance between the apex of the
steeple and the rim (reverse) on this `coin'. Comparing it with an image
of the real McCoy, it seems to me like there's a bit of the spire
missing...but maybe that's just me. There are other little `niggles'
concerning the design that would cause me to step back from purchasing it.

However, it would be a real bargain if was real. It's a tad overpriced
if it's a fake. I couldn't swear to it, but I suspect the latter as
being the reason why there are only 3 bids.

Ian

Thanks, Ian ... I think I'll stay away from this one.

Looks like the seller is also selling a 1902 37-1/2 rouble restrike...
Nothing against restrikes, as long as they are recognizable as such.
This one has "GR" after the year alright, but it is supposed to be
copper-nickel. This one appears to be either gold-plated or recolored,
which to me is an alteration (an attempt to fool someone into thinking
it might be the original).

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old June 15th 05, 11:09 PM
RW Julian

Ian is correct, it is a fake. The obverse is not bad but the reverse is
poorly done;
the word ROUBLE is much too far from the monument, for example. The other
lettering in the exergue is too small, etc.

RWJ