Star Archive Is Now Charging?

Old October 1st 03, 02:28 PM
dahoov2

I don't know where you are shopping for websites! Maybe I have gotten
a deal. It was under 180.00 for LIFETIME hosting. I have never
exceeded my bandwidth and I have (I forget; need to check) at least
200 Megs (may be more I think). Athough I wasn't supposed to have to
pay any more than my domain fee each year, I now have to pay for a
"maintenance fee" which is under 80.00 a year. It's about 100.00 a
year with the domain name. I has all the gadgets I need.... there are
others (I looked a few months ago) that have just a per month fee and
your domain. You can do a website for under 200.00 a year easily.
Less if you use a free site.

If you are just doing an address site, you could get a 100 meg free
site and pay nothing. Not even a domain fee. It just costs your
time. one hundred megs is a LOT of addresses. If you don't put wav
files, movie files, flash and other space absorbing things, you could
put thousands of addresses up like SA did FREE.

If you are doing scans, sure you'll have less. But you can always
save them small and make them small. Or not use them at all! Have a
newsgroup set up for storage of that or something.

I understand 200.00 a year is a lot for some people and the time is
insane; but charging for public information given and for the public
is wrong. Charging a small fee to recoup your costs is one thing;
making money off the public is another. Now, like someone else
posted, ten people at 30.00 is 300.00... you KNOW a LOT more than 10
people are using that site! It's all about the money. Don't let them
fool ya.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 02:23:07 -0400, "Glenn \(SBfan2000\)"
wrote:

As a small time webmaster I can testify that running a website of any size
and scope is extremely expensive!! The database features he uses are
complex and can be VERY expensive to set up! Same with traffic! The more
traffic on the site the more expensive, he has to pay some amount for every
user that visits the site!

All that being said, I do think his price is to steep!! I think $19.95 per
year is about all that should be charged! I think most collectors are busy
people and have full time jobs so are they going to have time to get their
$34.95 worth?? I work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week! How much time for
collecting do you think I have? Would I get my 34.95 worth! Not to mention
the many failures I have had with the address on star archive! I don't
blame him for that, the fact is that autograph collecting is not 100%!
However, 34.95 is to steep considering all the failures that you will
continue to get!

Two bad I didnt finish downloading the star archives website for viewing
offline!

Glenn

"Tarkus Shadow" wrote in message
Well, I thought long and hard about paying for the service, but I think

$35.00
a year is a bit steep! If 10 people sign up, that's $350.00, does it cost

that
much to run a web-site???

I agree about a guarantee, if I give you money, I should get

something in
return, right? (besides a RTS). I know He's run this site for free for a

while,
but, He depends on US to keep the information "updated" and now He want's

my
information for free, but I have to pay for his information?

I'll probably end up taking Sue's advice and try to find what I need

on my
own or some of the other site's that people have posted here.

That's my 2 cent's worth!

Peace,
Paul