What do you collect?

Old August 18th 12, 02:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default What do you collect?

In the past we run several times postings with the subject: What do you
collect? This way we could learn more about the philatelic interests of the
participants in RCSD and know better one another.

I will start by (re)introducing myself. As noted in my signature, I'm
interested in the topics "Art on Stamps" and "Communism on Postal Stamps."
Other interests are Romanian stamps and philatelic webmastering. Humor
related to stamps is also a subject that interests me.

How about you? TIA.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old August 20th 12, 03:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jim[_11_]

On 8/18/2012 8:49 AM, Victor Manta wrote:
In the past we run several times postings with the subject: What do you
collect? This way we could learn more about the philatelic interests of
the participants in RCSD and know better one another.

I will start by (re)introducing myself. As noted in my signature, I'm
interested in the topics "Art on Stamps" and "Communism on Postal
Stamps." Other interests are Romanian stamps and philatelic
webmastering. Humor related to stamps is also a subject that interests me.

How about you? TIA.

I collect US just because they are simple to obtain. Have nearly a mint
collection all the way back to the 20's. Beyond that I tend to collect
things about space including stamps, event covers(launches etc), some of
my favorite covers now are from Ariane V launches by Arianespace from
French. A side note, I got my wife started collecting stamps with
penguins on them, keeps her interested when we go to stamp shows. She
has a pretty good small topical collection now.

Jim

Old August 20th 12, 01:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Don Levey

On 8/18/2012 09:49, Victor Manta wrote:
In the past we run several times postings with the subject: What do you
collect? This way we could learn more about the philatelic interests of
the participants in RCSD and know better one another.

I will start by (re)introducing myself. As noted in my signature, I'm
interested in the topics "Art on Stamps" and "Communism on Postal
Stamps." Other interests are Romanian stamps and philatelic
webmastering. Humor related to stamps is also a subject that interests me.

How about you? TIA.

I am a casual collector of US stamps, up through 1985 (my son does
1885-present). We're both in this purely for pleasure rather than
investment value, though finding something valuable is certainly nice.

-Don
Old August 21st 12, 07:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_6_]

I have collected stamps from France since 1954 (I was 10).

I stopped buying the newly issued stamps on 1st jan 2002,
a symbolic date (the last stamps with a face value in French Francs
disappeared at that date). The reason was not of course the
introduction of Euro, but the silly policy of the issuing authority
trying to sell more and more stamps, booklets, souvenir sheets,
personalized stamps and all kinds of cinderellas.

Amongst this ugly stuff about only 10% of nice looking engraved
stamps, the remaining being mostly computer designed stamps
based on photographies.

As my "to have" list of stamps from France is now consisting of
about 15 stamps plus some "end of catalog", I only buy these
remaining stamps. Due to their price, it takes time and I will
never have all of them ...

I also began sorting out a "shoe box" of about 8,000 stamps from
Australia that I bought 10 years ago. It took me nearly 2 months to
nearly complete the job.

I also collect "oddities" or amusing covers.

--
Regards,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old August 21st 12, 03:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien

I also began sorting out a "shoe box" of about 8,000 stamps from
Australia that I bought 10 years ago. It took me nearly 2 months to
nearly complete the job.

If you are interested in minutae, get a copy of the Brusden-White
cataloge for Australia. Of the KGV 1d [and many others], which sell
for pennies, there's quite a range of sub-varities and some are very
rare! Should you find those, you might get enough to finance your
remaining 15!

Having given up on the US when the 50 "Everything" began to appear, I
specialize in Victorian GB - with sides in Australia and Egypt
[pre-UAR]
Old August 22nd 12, 01:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Ray[_7_]

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:49:36 -0400, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

In the past we run several times postings with the subject: What do you
collect? This way we could learn more about the philatelic interests of the
participants in RCSD and know better one another.

I will start by (re)introducing myself. As noted in my signature, I'm
interested in the topics "Art on Stamps" and "Communism on Postal Stamps."
Other interests are Romanian stamps and philatelic webmastering. Humor
related to stamps is also a subject that interests me.

How about you? TIA.

I collect anything philatelic relating to Fiji (stamps, postal
stationery, postcards and postal history) plus, as a sideline, the
postmarks of French Polynesia.
--
John Ray
Old August 22nd 12, 06:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 8/18/2012 6:49 AM, Victor Manta wrote:
In the past we run several times postings with the subject: What do you
collect? This way we could learn more about the philatelic interests of
the participants in RCSD and know better one another.

I will start by (re)introducing myself. As noted in my signature, I'm
interested in the topics "Art on Stamps" and "Communism on Postal
Stamps." Other interests are Romanian stamps and philatelic
webmastering. Humor related to stamps is also a subject that interests me.

How about you? TIA.

I collect US, Australia, Portugal, and Great Britain -- the latter three
after visits to those countries. I bought packets in each country and
brought them home. I picked up the Australian stamps in a Melbourne
department store in 1985. They still had a stamp counter. Such counters
disappeared in the US back in the 50's or 60's. I picked up the British
stamps at Stanley Gibbons main store on the Strand in London. I got the
Portuguese stamps from a dealer in Lisbon in a fifth-floor walkup (no
elevator) office.

I also try to keep up with computer related stamps.

Bill
Old August 22nd 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
gogu[_10_]

? "Pierre COURTIADE" ?????? ??? ??????
[...]

I collect 4 countries namely Romania, Greece, Vatican and San Marino.
I want to complete a collection with all the S/S from each country and
secondly to put together collections with normal stamps from those four
countries but only what pleases my eyes, that is mainly paintings on stamps,
athletic events, war time stamps and similar.

PS
Nice greek family name you have;-)

Old August 24th 12, 07:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jerry OHIO

After being away from my books for years I'm back to US used ,used
blocks of 4, EFO'S ,tax & war savings ,ration ,christmas seals. I even
have a box of envelops from my cable company with dead letter office
stamped marks , people putting the wrong denotation stamps on the
envelope. The best is some one using The Mr. Zip logo from a sheet of
stamps. And some envelops cancelled with no stamps.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/WOODPROJECTS

Old August 24th 12, 01:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_6_]

I also began sorting out a "shoe box" of about 8,000 stamps from
Australia that I bought 10 years ago. It took me nearly 2 months to
nearly complete the job.

Sir F.A. Rien answered :

If you are interested in minutiae, get a copy of the Brusden-White
catalogue for Australia. Of the KGV 1d [and many others], which sell
for pennies, there's quite a range of sub-varities and some are very
rare! Should you find those, you might get enough to finance your
remaining 15!

Yes : I am aware of the existence of the Brusden-White, this "bible" for
Australia stamps.

For the time beeing, I juste used the *very* basic Yvert & Tellier
(for this country) ; for instance, they do not even mention the ~ 20
stamps printed (in the 1960's) on "Helecon" (phosphorescent) paper !

In a second step, I will use a better catalogue (the "Comprehensive
Catalogue of Australia Stamps") that I already have in old issues.
Apparently it is no more published (not a big problem for me as
I am not very interested in modern stamps from OZ).

After that 2d step, I will surely invest in a set of Brusden-Whites
or in one or 2 volumes to begin.

Which volumes would you suggest to acquire first ?

Having given up on the US when the 50 "Everything" began to appear, I
specialize in Victorian GB - with sides in Australia and Egypt
[pre-UAR]

I have hundreds of old GB stamps : it will be my next country to sort
out ... in 10 years ? When I have finished to classify my KGV's
from OZ :-)

--
Cheers,
Pierre Courtiade

what else do you collect? [email protected] Coins 218 June 15th 07 06:58 PM
What do you collect? Chrysta Wilson Coins 0 July 19th 03 05:59 PM
What do you collect? \Bo\ Mathews Coins 2 July 18th 03 10:14 PM
What do you collect? gogu Coins 0 July 14th 03 09:56 PM
What do you collect? Wheeler Coins 0 July 13th 03 11:24 AM